Dave Tippett appreciation thread

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Was a great coach when we were making the playoffs. Shelf life expired shortly after that long playoff run.

Best of luck in the future Tip. But its time to go.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He was great, right up until he watched way too many specials about Rome and the Caesars.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the three years of playoffs, managing to squeeze blood out of a stone of a motley group of veterans that many people derided as a lottery team during a very dark, tumultuous time in our history. But it was past time for you to go.

Best wishes, Tippett.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I appreciate the 2012 run, and that he took us out of the horror that was the Gretzky years and gave us some winning seasons. Everything else is for another thread.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I'd say he was the best coach in franchise history. At least for the Phoenix/Arizona teams. Biggest reason I was on the fence about letting him go is the uncertainty heading forward. It'll be an interesting year coming up for sure.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
He made our team of misfits during the NHL ownership period outperform every night. It may not have been the most exciting style of hockey but it won us games. With him as coach we had our most successful playoff run ever. I still like to think if it wasn't for Quick we would've won the cup that year :laugh: He's a good coach, he'll find a vet team to coach somewhere and do well.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Good coach, but not for this team. Thanks for 2011-12.. or should I be thanking Mike Smith for that? Ah well, good luck elsewhere.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Thank you Tippett for the getting the team to the playoffs in the past and for the historic 2012 run to the WCF along with getting the team to its 1st ever division title.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Thanks for the memories! I still think you're a good coach in the right situation. That situation was not here. Best of luck to you! I am so excited for everyone involved!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Gretzky walked out just before the season started and Tippett saved the ship from sinking. I appreciate all he has done for this team. Best of luck in the next position, Tip!.

He was the best coach this team has had.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Thanks for bringing in competence. I saw Wendy Tippet once write something about all coaches having their shelf life expire and it's a normal thing and grudges aren't held. I hope this situation is like this.

I also sincerely hopes Tippet adapts some of his theories because I fear he won't survive as a coach in the league without doing so.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Thank you TIP, Doan, the Coyotes for coming into my life during tough times.
I always thought spectator sports were a joke and if an athlete couldn't run 100 miles a week, he wasn't an athlete, but almost instantly you all made me a fanatic thats literally been in fights for you (and couldn't believe I was there) and I enjoyed the past 5 years immensely
All the harder now because Im afraid its going to come to an end and soon.

Feb 12, 2003
I was a fan of his up until right after the season where they went to the Conference Finals and signed Ribiero. The first two months of that season the Coyotes felt like they had something special, but the wheels just came off in a horrible way and they have never recovered since. By the end of that season I felt like Tip had lost the room and I do not think he ever got them back.

Tip got the most out of his roster for a number of seasons, and I think he could go to a new veteran laden team and really push them into a new gear for a couple of years. I just do not think he has the longevity to last really long.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Ah, well, no more entertaining Tippett sound bites on the radio on the long journey home.

To quote Morrissey: "..I'm not happy and I'm not sad"

(fastest mod in the West. jeepers!)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
2a1c319673acaf332ccd47c7d5d72acc.jpg

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Tippett was great to take over from the Notsogreatone but the team has evolved from plugs to youth. Unfortunately Tippett is the wrong coach to develop youth. Instead of giving young guys their time to expand their wings Tippett will throw plugs out their to grind out needless wins. Good luck Tippett where ever you go and I hope you have all the plugs you desire there.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Thank you Coach Tippett for getting teams with below average players to outperform their individual talent levels for many years.

Thank you Coach Tippett for immediately ending the narrative that TGO shouldn't take any blame for the team and no other coach could possibly get the sad sack of Coyotes players to perform better then TGO did.

Thank you Coach Tippett for the magical 2011-12 run, will always be among my favorite memories.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Thank you Coach Tippett for getting teams with below average players to outperform their individual talent levels for many years.

Thank you Coach Tippett for immediately ending the narrative that TGO shouldn't take any blame for the team and no other coach could possibly get the sad sack of Coyotes players to perform better then TGO did.

Thank you Coach Tippett for the magical 2011-12 run, will always be among my favorite memories.
That middle paragraph was a real thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad