Dave "The Rat" Bolland

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
What's the point of this?

He may be good at times but the bottom line is that for someone who has had injuries and is a 3rd line player, he is overpaid. To me, the only way he lives up to his earnings on his contract is if he scores 30+ goals and I don't really see that happening...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Don't like the signing but can hardly blame the guy. That glory goes to Tallon alone. If someone offered you an overload of money for services that normally would get you ~half the pay you'd take it and never look back.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Don't like the signing but can hardly blame the guy. That glory goes to Tallon alone. If someone offered you an overload of money for services that normally would get you ~half the pay you'd take it and never look back.

I've seen this thrown around here, but it's not true. The Leafs offered him 4 years at 5 million a year, but the extra year and low taxes in Florida made him reject that offer. Granted, competing with with the Leafs may not be the best idea, given their history (cough Clarkson) but it's not like his next best offer was 2 years for 3 million.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
You misunderstood. Jumping into the bid race was the dumbest thing he could do. Obviously there was pressure to bring in someone with a big contract. The lure was there but the fish was wrong.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Honestly, Bolland might be overpaid now, but in a couple of years, his contract will be ok as long as he doesn't give up/break down physically.

As I've said in other threads, Bolland will probably start the year in the top 6. While Barkov and Bjugstad impressed us last year, they still have a ways to go, and unless they dominate in TC, I'm pretty sure Gallant will want to give more tougher minutes to Bolland.

It's funny, before his freak ACL injury, he was getting praise in Toronto. Only after the contract demands, did the view on him decrease.

Comparing any deal, especially RFA deals in the old CBA, to contracts in this new CBA is invalid. Especially with the cap expected to rise every year, and no loopholes, yet, to exploit.

I can see 2nd/3rd line centers start to get over 5m once they hit UFA. If it's a good 1st line center, 7+ will start to be the norm IMO.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
You misunderstood. Jumping into the bid race was the dumbest thing he could do. Obviously there was pressure to bring in someone with a big contract. The lure was there but the fish was wrong.

Oh, I did misunderstand, you just made it seem like he didn't have to pay that price for Bolland, which isn't true. I agree wholeheartedly that Tallon shouldn't have gotten into that war with the Leafs and brought in someone else with that money.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I think we'll like him quite a bit, but he's gonna have to do an awful lot for us to be OK with his contract. My biggest hope with him is that he can stay healthy, I have no doubt we'll like his play.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I think we'll like him quite a bit, but he's gonna have to do an awful lot for us to be OK with his contract. My biggest hope with him is that he can stay healthy, I have no doubt we'll like his play.

You hit the nail on the head. I think we're all going to like Bolland, but his contract (especially the term) is making everyone sour on him.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
I've seen this thrown around here, but it's not true. The Leafs offered him 4 years at 5 million a year, but the extra year and low taxes in Florida made him reject that offer. Granted, competing with with the Leafs may not be the best idea, given their history (cough Clarkson) but it's not like his next best offer was 2 years for 3 million.
Did Bolland say that reason to sign with Panthers was no state income tax? There's a thread in Business Section which explains taxes in states and provinces and differences are not so much between them.

JOL

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Did Bolland say that reason to sign with Panthers was no state income tax? There's a thread in Business Section which explains taxes in states and provinces and differences are not so much between them.

JOL

I should have specified, not even taxes so much, just cost of living, especially rent and gas. It's $5.15 a gallon right now here :help:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I honestly have no idea what this is referencing, those 2 situations are nothing alike.

I think the closer comparison would of been Olesz. Give a player a long term deal, who stays out for long amounts of time, injured, and when he does play, his play is garbage.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
What's the point of this?

He may be good at times but the bottom line is that for someone who has had injuries and is a 3rd line player, he is overpaid. To me, the only way he lives up to his earnings on his contract is if he scores 30+ goals and I don't really see that happening...

Id like to see what he contributes before concluding he's overpaid. Besides, personally after following this team for 20 years i personally don't give a damn if we overpay since we won't hit the cap.

What line he plays in seems irrelevant as well since it depends on the coach's use. If he places the 3rd line vs others teams lst for ex.

As far as a mandatory production number i.e. 30 goals, i don't get that at all as well. He may score 23 and close down other teams lst lines as well.

Bottom line, time will tell. And we will all have different parameters.

In your opinion, what will Dubinsky have to do to earn his close to 6 million?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
OK, so Tallon overpaid for him, but the extent of it will be by how he produces on and off the ice, and whether he can stay healthy. The cap will be going up over the rest of the decade, and in two years time, when its probably over $80 million, its not going to look as bad.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Ok, let's look at the contract first of all. A bit of an overpayment? I don't see it that way, especially when we are talking UFAs. They always go for more than they are worth. What's important is to offset the veteran players salaries (like Bolland, Campbell) with a young stud that is under control for a significant period of time (like Huberdeau, Ekblad, Bjugstad etc.). IMO, the Panthers had far too many non-productive free agent signings like Scott Gomez among others. This is a productive signing, getting a guy in his prime who has won cups, is a leader, scores goals, defends well, and does all the little things that winning players and teams do. Don't worry about the cap until you need to worry. At least ownership is willing to spend money to get better and become competitive. How long do you want to remain in the basement anyway?

Mark my words, this is probably the best signing the Panthers had only in the sense that they needed to bring a hard nosed, muck it up, 200 foot center who can produce offense at the same time and teach the younger players what it takes to win and lead by example. Watching the Panthers last year they were pushed around a lot, and bringing in some tough and gritty players like Bolland, and Thornton to some extent too, will give extra room for guys like Huberdeau, Boyes, Fleischmann…etc. to do what they do well and flourish playing their skill game.

I would not be surprised at all if Bolland is the captain of this year's team.

Jan 19, 2006
I was referring to when we got Bertuzzi he ended up playing a lot more golf than hockey because of injuries (total of 7 games I think).

I have always harbored the sneaking suspicion that Bertuzzi COULD have played (guys play through injuries all the time), but opted to take the opportunity to rest and heal on the Panthers dime.

Smart move for him, but not so great for Panthers.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I think if Bolland can stay healthy for even 3/4th of the season, we'll be ok with our thoughts on signing him. I just think it's the amount and length that he will likely never live up to. I think he will indeed try his best to. However, by the end of this summer's free agency, we might not feel as bad with some other over payments that have happened as well.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I have always harbored the sneaking suspicion that Bertuzzi COULD have played (guys play through injuries all the time), but opted to take the opportunity to rest and heal on the Panthers dime.

Smart move for him, but not so great for Panthers.

Bert is a lot of things. Team-oriented wouldn't be one of them, for sure. He had friends in Vancouver and played well for a time with them but when I think of him I think of an incredibly gifted power winger with size who only ever kind-of-sort-of wanted to play hockey.

Bolland doesn't appear to be that sort of person (imho). Versteeg aside (and lets be honest, he was a bit odd anyways), Tallon has a weakness for energy 2/3 line forwards who have 3/4 line skill, not so much uncommitted, skilled, underachieving bar stars.

Lets hope...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Honestly, Bolland might be overpaid now, but in a couple of years, his contract will be ok as long as he doesn't give up/break down physically.

As I've said in other threads, Bolland will probably start the year in the top 6. While Barkov and Bjugstad impressed us last year, they still have a ways to go, and unless they dominate in TC, I'm pretty sure Gallant will want to give more tougher minutes to Bolland.

It's funny, before his freak ACL injury, he was getting praise in Toronto. Only after the contract demands, did the view on him decrease.

Comparing any deal, especially RFA deals in the old CBA, to contracts in this new CBA is invalid. Especially with the cap expected to rise every year, and no loopholes, yet, to exploit.

I can see 2nd/3rd line centers start to get over 5m once they hit UFA. If it's a good 1st line center, 7+ will start to be the norm IMO.

It's already happening. Dubinsky just got 5.8M on a long term deal. And then look at Callahan's deal. Now Bolland isn't quite as good as they are, but they are still high end 3rd liners/low end 2nd liners. In a couple years, Bolland's contract isn't going to look that bad. Toews and Kane just got 10.8. The next "big" contract to lock up a star player us probably going to be over 11. Yes, 11. Who could have even fathomed that 5 years ago? Players like MacKinnon, Eichel, McDavid are going to be making close to 15 per in their primes.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida

I'm not worried. As much as the contract sucks, he's gonna be a very likable guy. Just have to wait and see if he can show us he's better than what we all think of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad