Dave Maloney

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Dave Maloney is a real one probably a little too real for MSG to be featured more than he already is. to be honest even though we joke about them, the people on MSG do a pretty good job compared to what some of the league's other teams show.

Reactions: bl02

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I like Dave. He's in the vain of Keith Hernandez and Carl Banks as "real" and actually critiques players.

A lot of people older than me in their 50s-60s weren't in love with him as a player, and tell me they hated him as captain and thought he wasn't that good lol. He retired when I was very young so my memories of him as a player are only in flashbacks: from the Karaoke stuff the Rangers did in the late 70s-early 80s, and the news clip after the Ken Morrow game where he was crying and knew he was being phased out.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I gotta say, having lived in the NY, LA, and DC sports markets, MSG is not particularly bad in that respect. Basically none of the networks, particularly those directly affiliated with the teams, employ people who are openly critical of the franchise. I actually think Joe does a reasonable job within the confines of his role--he'll say it when the team needs to skate harder or be more physical or play with more urgency.

I know it's a bit of an extreme example but the Orioles in baseball suspended their PBP guy after he literally just read a graphic that was shown on screen that illustrated how the team had been very bad against Seattle or someone the past couple years. They suspended him for reading their own graphic. It's crazy how sensitive some places are. MSG isn't really bad in experience.
I'd say Steve Valiquette is given some decent leeway to criticize the team.

Reactions: nyr2k2

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I'm jumping in to agree with all these points:

1) I like Dave better than Joe, but that's a mark of how much I like listening to Dave. Joe is still pretty good and I feel we're pretty lucky to have him. I wish he'd do more actual analysis of plays, I know he knows more than he shows, but that's probably on the producers more than it's on him. Dave is probably more prone to saying things that would get him in hot water, and he and the suits are probably both a bit more protected on radio than on TV;

2) MSG is about as non-homer as any broadcast out there (I might get hate for this, but that goes for the Devils and the Islanders broadcasts that I rarely watch, too). Any time I watch games out of market, it drives me up the wall. It's a much, much better experience, and I don't know why other teams don't do it this way, too.

Reactions: JCProdigy

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... A lot of people older than me in their 50s-60s weren't in love with him as a player, and tell me they hated him as captain and thought he wasn't that good ..
my reaction to that is, like many critical player opinions here at HFB,
those opinions may be louder, but not most common

those were days I was going to multiple games each month
Dave wasn't a star, or star talent, but he was widely appreciated for his effort and commitment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad