Dave Kerr

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
If you cross reference Vezina winners and goalies who have won the Stanley Cup for the Rangers, only one name comes up: Dave Kerr. He also has the lowest GAA of any Ranger goalie in history with at least 100 games played.

I'm not saying he should be seen as the greatest Ranger goalie of all-time (mainly because he played so long ago), but he should be brought up more with the likes of Gump Worsley, Ed Giacomin, John Davidson, John Vanbiesbrouck, Mike Richter, & Henrik Lundqvist as one of the franchise's most storied goaltenders.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on Dave Kerr. Is he underappreciated in Rangers lore or do you think there's a reason why he's often forgotten. One explanation I got from a friend that's a Ranger fan was,

1 - He played a long time ago where most of us weren't even alive to see him play.

2 - The 1940 Stanley Cup isn't something Ranger fans look fondly upon considering it was used to taunt them for over a decade.

Although I see these as valid reasons for fans to forget about his contributions to the franchise, I don't think it takes away from his greatness.

Would love to hear what Ranger fans think about this.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
His 1940 season was an all-time great year. The knock on him was that he didn't have great career value. Short prime. Steep quick drop-off after he peaked.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
His 1940 season was an all-time great year. The knock on him was that he didn't have great career value. Short prime. Steep quick drop-off after he peaked.

Interesting perspective there. Yeah, shorter career compared to other Ranger greats, but his peak just might have been the highest peak by any Ranger goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad