Dave Hodge: Regular season data are useless in playoff predictions

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
His claim is that "wild guesses" are just as good as anything: "But for every time you quote a regular-season stat to support a playoff pick, you should make a wild guess, because, chances are, the two will even out."

Wow, that's not even really debatable, it's just demonstrably false.

Even naive, trivial predictions like using playoff seed, or regular season points, or goal differential are better than 50/50

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
God forbid a commentator be glib in his "thumbs down" column. :shakehead

I'm not saying he is right, but I don't view regular season numbers as a be all and end all. Though I mostly base that belief on the Leafs-Sens series of the early 2000's when Ottawa would dominate in the regular season and then the Leafs would turn around and sweep them in the first round.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005

And God forbid we *discuss* his column on a *discussion* forum. :shakehead

I'm not saying he is right, but I don't view regular season numbers as a be all and end all. Though I mostly base that belief on the Leafs-Sens series of the early 2000's when Ottawa would dominate in the regular season and then the Leafs would turn around and sweep them in the first round.

No one's ever said that regular season numbers are the be-all, end-all.

With that said, Hodge is far more wrong than right. Far more wrong, and I approve of "glibness" a lot more when the person using it knows what they're talking about.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There is a legitimate case that regular season statistics are much less effective at predicting playoff success than they are at predicting future regular season success, because as anyone who watches hockey knows, the game changes at least somewhat in the playoffs.

But extrapolating anything from a sample that isn't even a full series long is absolutely brutal.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
There is a legitimate case that regular season statistics are much less effective at predicting playoff success than they are at predicting future regular season success, because as anyone who watches hockey knows, the game changes at least somewhat in the playoffs.

Without question.

On the whole, though, if you fell out of a boat and randomly hit a regular season metric, you'd probably do better than 50/50 with it on series predictions (which is contrary to Hodge's claim).

As an aside, I grew up near some choppy waters that were full of regular season metrics. Bring a life preserver when you go, friends.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

There is a whole branch of mathematics dedicated to finding out whether predictions are valid or not. Not only doesn't he know what the math says, he doesn't even know it exists, which is why people are rolling their eyes. He may as well be saying that "in his opinion 2+2=5". Ok so that's an exaggeration, but in principle that's pretty much what he's doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad