Dave Hakstol Discussion

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They had a great game... I dislike that line and do not think they are the type of 4th line you want on a playoff team (they don't take pressure off the top 6 in general in regards to the minutes they play and lose their matchups more often than not despite relatively easy minutes)... but I cannot argue how well they played tonight.

They're good against a weak team like the Leafs where they can dominate the OZ with hard work, but are suspect defensively against good teams.

I think Hak could have done a better job of playing horses for courses this season. He waits too long to make changes.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
One thing that is annoying about this coaching staff is that they roll the lines & speciality units way too much. They never really change it much upon the current situation in the game.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
He he a really slow start. Then he was on fire. Then got hurt and is now not good. Giroux can't do this alone. Need some help. Whether Voracek is still hurt or not who knows. What I do know is he's playing poor hockey.

Isn't he still seen in a walking boot after games? I think it's fairly obvious he's still hurt.

I'm presently satisfied with the Hakstol product overall.

I am too. There are things I nitpick and probably will continue to nitpick, but overall he is a satisfying coach. We need some new assistant coaches. Lappy and Mullen for sure need to go. Murphy has done fairly decent, but I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't back either.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
They're good against a weak team like the Leafs where they can dominate the OZ with hard work, but are suspect defensively against good teams.

I think Hak could have done a better job of playing horses for courses this season. He waits too long to make changes.

If he played his horses more earlier in the season, maybe they run out of gas a couple of weeks ago instead of right now. Or maybe they get injured. There is no guarentee of better outcomes by playing those players more. Just look at last game where Simmonds and Voracek turned the puck over leading to two goals goes against.

This team achieved greater than its talent level. Most players, outside of Voracek and Read, had good years. Those two things that point to good coaching.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Isn't he still seen in a walking boot after games? I think it's fairly obvious he's still hurt.

I am too. There are things I nitpick and probably will continue to nitpick, but overall he is a satisfying coach. We need some new assistant coaches. Lappy and Mullen for sure need to go. Murphy has done fairly decent, but I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't back either.

Foot injury shouldn't affect the basic ability to pick a puck up off the wall

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Foot injury shouldn't affect the basic ability to pick a puck up off the wall
Yeah or shooting which he'll always be getting the big shots on the PP because no one cares about him to cover him like G or Ghost. He's gonna be a good player but not a star. That pass he missed last night with G wide open in the second period made me laugh.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I'm not a coach, never have been, so I won't pretend to understand Hak and his choices. But one thing he should have learned after his first season behind the Flyers bench is how hated this franchise is by the league bosses.

I know, I know you guys will say that every game the officials are bad, but this goes beyond incompetence. The powers that be in the NHL are mainly players who at one time played against the "Broad Street Bullies". Their heroes were the Mario Lemouix, Guy Lefluer types of the league. Our hero was Bobby Clarke, some say, the dirtiest player to play the game, or the "hammer" Schultz, one of the best fighters to ever play. The NHL brass just by their comments have a real disdain for the Flyers franchise and have not forgotten it. By their actions, words or otherwise have influenced the entire perception of this team because of the team before it.

Proof, we lead the league, or have led the league in penalties almost every year of our existence. Even this year, with the soft team we have, we still led for most of the year. Our penaties and suspensions are based in who we once were not who we are now. The way Hak was treated last night by the official, you would never see them do that to another coach. The shear pleasure of the call against the review of the call against G's goal last night with the throw it in your face
way he enunciated it could be felt

If Hak wants to be successful in this league, with this team, he needs to pull up his big boy pants and take control of how he presents himself to the league and its officials. He is way to appeasing and easy on these guys and they are eating him up.

I'm not saying they were wrong in the overtime goal call, but they definitely were wrong on the G collision and goal call, they definitely split hairs on the overtime penalty call. If there is ever a doubt they always will make a decision against the Flyers. If you don't see that then you haven't watched this team for long

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not a coach, never have been, so I won't pretend to understand Hak and his choices. But one thing he should have learned after his first season behind the Flyers bench is how hated this franchise is by the league bosses.

I know, I know you guys will say that every game the officials are bad, but this goes beyond incompetence. The powers that be in the NHL are mainly players who at one time played against the "Broad Street Bullies". Their heroes were the Mario Lemouix, Guy Lefluer types of the league. Our hero was Bobby Clarke, some say, the dirtiest player to play the game, or the "hammer" Schultz, one of the best fighters to ever play. The NHL brass just by their comments have a real disdain for the Flyers franchise and have not forgotten it. By their actions, words or otherwise have influenced the entire perception of this team because of the team before it.

Proof, we lead the league, or have led the league in penalties almost every year of our existence. Even this year, with the soft team we have, we still led for most of the year. Our penaties and suspensions are based in who we once were not who we are now. The way Hak was treated last night by the official, you would never see them do that to another coach. The shear pleasure of the call against the review of the call against G's goal last night with the throw it in your face

If Hak wants to be successful in this league, with this team, he needs to pull up his big boy pants and take control of how he presents himself to the league and its officials. He is way to appeasing and easy on these guys and they are eating him up.

I'm not saying they were wrong in the overtime goal call, but they definitely were wrong on the G collision and goal call, they definitely split hairs on the overtime penalty call. If there is ever a doubt they always will make a decision against the Flyers. If you don't see that then you haven't watched this team for long

The dissallowed Voracek goal was a disgrace.

He was clearly tripped. He had no chance of not colliding with Bernier after being tripped. Not only was their no penalty called for the trip, but our goal is taken away too. Ridiculous.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
^ Agreed. Our PK was great before Lappy took over. There's been some serious turnover of course, but I really don't think he's ready for NHL level coaching, even as an assistant.

What control exactly do you think a coach has? You don't get calls overturned by yelling at refs. If anything, I'd think refs would be more inclined to call against coaches who abuse them.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
So, according to that Logic you just put up with bad calls and stare intently. Because that's what he does and what does it get him, more bad calls. Have you ever heard of politics, because many coaches use it. It's a little thing we do daily, you know, argue a little, prod some, plead your case some, bust some balls

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
As a coach you do have to engage in some politics with the ref to a an extent...fine line. You can't go the Jim Schoenfeld vs Don Koharski route but the stoic mute act won't help your case either IMO. It's an art to try and "game" the refs now and then....

Girouxtiful

Jul 17, 2012
So, according to that Logic you just put up with bad calls and stare intently. Because that's what he does and what does it get him, more bad calls. Have you ever heard of politics, because many coaches use it. It's a little thing we do daily, you know, argue a little, prod some, plead your case some, bust some balls

I'd guess more people than not on this board have been to a Flyers game, so based on that I'd say chances are you've been to at least one. The fans do plenty of politicking to let the refs know when the Flyers disagree with the calls.

I haven't been an NHL coach or ref - my guess is that you haven't either. I am, however, a professional who works in an environment with other professionals that need to work together and get things done. If something goes wrong or I see things a different way, I go to the person and tell them what I think is wrong and we see what we can do to fix it going forward. If someone who isn't my boss (or even someone who is my boss, for that matter) comes at me screaming and foaming at the mouth to tell me about how ridiculous this is and how everything is so awful and the way I'm treating them is unfair, I walk away from the situation with less respect for that person and less inclination to work with them or for them going forward.

This carries over to most (I hesitate to say all) professions. These guys are adults and professionals and should handle the relationship as such. Yes, some coaches scream and fuss, and yes, some of those coaches are very good coaches. But I think the coach's main job should be to ice the best team he can throughout the game and make it clear to the refs when he feels like they're tilting the ice. From the looks at it, Hakstol is doing the best he can as a rookie coach to do both.

My point: I'd much prefer my coach, who is being paid to be a professional, keep his composure and leave the screaming and lunacy to the people in the audience who are paying money to have a good time and make themselves present where possible.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I think if you go back and read what I did actually write screaming and foaming at the mouth are not in there. I said in essence he needs to do more than intently stare. He is not doing enough in that department. Politicking is a process that involves a bit more than a stare. Other than that I really don't have too many complaints about him. I do feel that our coaches have a lot of work cut out for them overcoming our bad reputation.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
My memory isn't what it used to be but at 65 but it's not to bad. Here goes. When the Flyers were in the finals with the Hawks, Chris Pronger was dominating one of the Hawks tough guys, Dustin Byfuglien. After a few games Joel Quennville started to complain to the media and anyone who would listen how big, bad Pronger was getting away with roughing up poor little Dustin. He harped on it every chance he had. It was getting media play. Guess what, the refs starting calling penalties on Pronger.

Brilliant politicking be Quenneville. Not ripping the refs directly, but making an advantage for his team by playing victim for a player. That's politicking

We are getting played by the league with the constant Broad Street Bullies monicker. Go to the boards and see how we are referred to by the other teams fans. They're still buying it.

I don't really think the refs give a rats behind about our fans booing calls. For the most part fans are what they are, fanatics. I think refs would be more inclined to discuss the games and calls with coaches, who they feel are the professionals. That's where our coaching staff needs to be more involved in discussions during the game. An area we have been weak at for a long time.

I live in that sweet area of NJ here we get NY and Philly game feeds and I can tell you for a fact there is a lot more discussion between coaches and refs in the NY and N Jersey areas.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.

Seemingly everyone in the hockey world thinks we are the same team as we were in the 70s. We aren't any rougher than the average team in reality. It's been that way for a long time.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yet we lead the league in PIMs for AND against, almost every year

I love 5 on 5 hockey. I wish we got to see it more

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I've been a coach, though in a different sport, basketball. My AD worked with me on dealing officials who were calling games in a distorted manner. Basically, I was told to not engage with these type of officials. The AD would discuss their performance with them after the game and let them know that (1) if they called a game like that against us again, we would never let them into our building and (2) we would take their name to the league meetings and do our best to blackball them for future games. Other league teams coaches/ADs did the same thing with poor officials. The result was that the amount of homerism that took place in our conference was minimal.
I have to believe that Hextall and Hakstol are doing the same thing. It does no good to go nuts on a referee during a game. The best course of action is for Hakstol to discuss the situation with Hexy. If RH agrees with him, the thing to do is for him to take it to the League offices and to do what he can to get these weak referees canned. There are problems with the way the officials call the games of certain teams. In raises questions regarding the integrity of the sport. The League doesn't need that.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
If the stats I'm looking at for Hakstol are correct then he has never missed the playoffs in his coaching career except his very first year when he was a mid season replacement. I'm glad he was able to keep that record intact.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This year:

51% Corsi in all situations.
50.2% Shots for overall.
51.1% High danger chance overall.
50.1% Goals for.

Last year:

49.7% Corsi in all situations.
49.3% Shots for overall.
48.7% High danger chance overall.
48.7% Goals for.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Numbers seem so close, but in reality those slight differences make a huge difference in games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad