Dave Hakstol Discussion

catbellysqueezer

Dec 26, 2015
Seems to be doing a good job so far given the mess our team has been in with contracts, but I literally fell asleep listening to him speak once.

Must reserve 100% of his energy for motivating players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
:laugh:

Why not just re-name the other thread?

table-ballet-charlie-chaplin-o.gif

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
getting back on topic and away from Beef :popcorn:

I am not sure if the Flyers are just playing harder as of late or his system is excellent.

I still noticed in the Islanders game they played 40 minutes of hockey instead of 60

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I thought the Islanders game was their best game of the year. I didn't think they just played 40 mins of it either. There is always going to be times where the other team is attacking and bringing pressure. Islanders came out really hungry in the third and the Flyers weathered the storm and finished them off.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some of you people should avoid jobs where they make you pee into a bottle.

Hakstol has done a nice job so far, but:

1) developmental phase, teach young players, develop talent - strangely enough this really starts next year, right now only Laughton and Ghost are the "young" players, Schenn, MDZ, Gudas, etc. are close to prime age

2) installing scheme, this is really what Hakstol has accomplished, and it helped to have a veteran team, now as they bring in young players there will be a core of veterans who know the system and can provide guidance

3) taking the next step up and becoming a truly competitive team - this is a matter of talent of course, but also the litmus tests for coaches, it's one thing to turn a bad team into a mediocre team as you acquire more talent, it's quite another to get it to play at a high level for 100 games.

4) JUST WIN BABY - once you're competitive, there's the last test, and then you can run for Mayor if you pass it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
18-15-7, 43 points, .538 pt %, 88pt pace after 40 games this year.

last year after 40:

15-18-7, 37 points, 0.463 pt %. 76pt pace.

with overall a team with a ~similar ability level. Though subtracting Rinaldo, Vinny & Grossmann are all positives!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
18-15-7, 43 points, .538 pt %, 88pt pace after 40 games this year.

last year after 40:

15-18-7, 37 points, 0.463 pt %. 76pt pace.

with overall a team with a ~similar ability level. Though subtracting Rinaldo, Vinny & Grossmann are all positives!

Don't forget replacing Emery with Neuvirth and his sparkling .934 save percentage, good for second place in the NHL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd say the difference between Mason this year and last year doesn't do enough to undermine the difference between Neuvy and Emery, but I think you know that.

Another thing, is that the team isn't being held back by whatever it is Berube was preaching. I'm not entirely sure what his system was. I think it was basically "try to maintain puck possession and do not do anything remotely risky." Hence you get a slow team where guys like Streit and MDZ, who CAN move the puck, were only very rarely attempting passes more difficult than guys like Schultz, Schenn, or Grossmann, with minimal forechecking. Paying attention, it looked like they never passed the puck across more than one line/zone at a time. Everything was restrained and cautious to the the point of detriment. Some risk is necessary to force pressure, and doing your best to just not fail isn't the same as winning, especially with a flawed roster. Sure, the lack of offensive ability on D was inherently limiting, but it sure looked like Berube limited that ability in transition even further.

That's gone, so that's a boost.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'd say the difference between Mason this year and last year doesn't do enough to undermine the difference between Neuvy and Emery, but I think you know that.

Another thing, is that the team isn't being held back by whatever it is Berube was preaching. I'm not entirely sure what his system was. I think it was basically "try to maintain puck possession and do not do anything remotely risky." Hence you get a slow team where guys like Streit and MDZ, who CAN move the puck, were only very rarely attempting passes more difficult than guys like Schultz, Schenn, or Grossmann, with minimal forechecking. Paying attention, it looked like they never passed the puck across more than one line/zone at a time. Everything was restrained and cautious to the the point of detriment. Some risk is necessary to force pressure, and doing your best to just not fail isn't the same as winning, especially with a flawed roster. Sure, the lack of offensive ability on D was inherently limiting, but it sure looked like Berube limited that ability in transition even further.

That's gone, so that's a boost.

Oh yeh. Emery was awful. Our team sv% to end last season was .910. This year it is .918.

Inferred from Couturier's interview on NHLN and Umberger's comments over the season it does seem that Berube was not drumming in fine details and making everyone know exactly what they should do in every situation.

'Details' is a word mentioned a lot by players when regarding Hakstol!

It did not help that Berube was so negative and played the C so low either...

PensBrony 6 9*

Great point about 3 on 3. The Flyers finally found their novelty niche.

I like 3 on 3 but I kind of think they should bring back ties and just go 4 on 4 for 5 minutes and then 3 on 3 for another 5. If it's still tied, just leave it. The shootout isn't "real hockey", but 3 on 3 is only slightly better to me. It's definitely fun to watch, though

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'm still annoyed the 4th line gets as many minutes at ES as our 1st line. And Laughton is getting buried.

Otherwise he's doing well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad