Confirmed with Link: Dave Gagner leaves the Canucks to join The Orr Hockey Group

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Dave Gagner Leaves director of player development.

@TSNBobMcKenzie24m
Dave Gagner has left VAN as director of player development for the same role with the Orr Hockey Group.

@TSNBobMcKenzie24m
Gagner will work with Orr Hockey Group clients including 2014 draft eligible Aaron Ekblad and 2015 eligible Connor McDavid, amongst others.

Interesting... I wonder who will fill this role going forward. If Manny wasn't trying to make a comeback I'd like him.

@News1130Sports1m
Wouldn't be surprised to see the #Canucks promote Jonathan Wall to replace Dave Gagner.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Well, I was late on that, it's already confirmed by @TSNBobMcKenzie:

Dave Gagner has left VAN as director of player development for the same role with the Orr Hockey Group.

Gagner will work with Orr Hockey Group clients including 2014 draft eligible Aaron Ekblad and 2015 eligible Connor McDavid, amongst others.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hm. Not sure how to feel about this, really; there was a lot of good talk about Gagner within the organization, but his position hadn't really shown many results yet.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
As far as replacements go, I would guess most of the successful private trainer/development types (Gary Roberts, can't remember the name of the Biosteel Camp guy) aren't looking to close up shop and join a team but that's where we nabbed Gagner from - he had his own private training center, right?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Didn't Tanev choose us almost exclusively because of Gagner?

I believe so, and that would obviously be a big plus. I do recall him, however, being part of the issue at the beginning of the end of Hodgson's relationship with the team. True, Hodgson's camp is going to have issues with everyone by the looks of it, but it still kind of sucks that it had to play out like that.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I think Gagner was Tanev's roller hockey coach or something like that.

Anyway Tanev's path to the NHL is one in a million so I doubt that losing first crack at a bunch of roller hockey players is going to hurt the team's prospect pipeline all that substantially.

If they had employed Gagner as a scout in other cases that would be another thing, but hopefully they have already been working to backfill that role to allow Gagner to focus on his actual job title.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
So, who's up for driving a dump truck full of cash up to Gary Roberts' house?!

I think if Roberts wanted a position with an NHL club, he would have one.

There's an appeal to working with many of the best players, regardless of team, and running things your own way.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
Gary Roberts ain't working for the nucks. Remember the whole coho fiasco and how he called gillis a moron?

Plus isn't he with the Dallas organization as a consultant?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Yeah I believe he has an agreement with the Stars.

I would assume the Canucks would rather have their own full time staff in house for a position like this - same way that it didn't work out having a part-time goaltending coach like Ian Clark.

arsmaster*

I like the idea of keeping Manny in the organization. That would be cool.

Betamax*

Interesting... I wonder who will fill this role going forward. If Manny wasn't trying to make a comeback I'd like him.

Yeah ... if he finds no NHL offers (I haven't heard if he has even been offered a try-out) ..... my guess is that he would like to stay in hockey in terms of coaching or possible management.

How about making him the "3rd line" centre Coach for someone like a Hovart and/or Gaunce? ;)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Yeah ... if he finds no NHL offers (I haven't heard if he has even been offered a try-out) ..... my guess is that he would like to stay in hockey in terms of coaching or possible management.
How about making him the "3rd line" centre Coach for someone like a Hovart and/or Gaunce? ;)

Director of Player Development is a perfect combination of coach/management. Great intro for a player like Manny, IMO.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not too happy about this. Gagner was a good guy to have in the organization. He had an eye for talent (good at times), but was a guy who gave the organization a bit more credibility being a former NHL player who knew how to train players.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
I would be pissed if Manny got the job. I want someone who has experience. I wouldn't mind a situation where Manny learned the ropes and in a few years got a title such as Director of player development.

The guy hasn't even retired yet

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I would be pissed if Manny got the job. I want someone who has experience. I wouldn't mind a situation where Manny learned the ropes and in a few years got a title such as Director of player development.

The guy hasn't even retired yet

I think you overestimate the requirements of the Director of Player Development.

If the title is what it sounds like, who better than Manny Malholtra to fill that role? I mean this is a guy drafted high and had to re-mold himself into becoming a near-elite defensive forward before a freak eye-injury derailed his career. I think that alone is enough experience to be able to direct a teams' prospect development. I don't think you need to apprentice for something like that.

Maybe the job description is muddled by the perception that Gagner was a bit of a scout for us as well. That may be something Manny has to grow into, but as strictly a guy who prospects can lean on for guidance and who can design programs and systems for player development, I think Manny is more than qualified.

Tank

May 9, 2012
Langley
I thought he did a good job in his role and he played a major role in landing Tanev! I hope we continue to focus on Ontario prospects even though he is not here, our scouting fortunes recently are due to the success in this region and he is an Ontario guy if I am not mistaken - his impact may be felt in that area. Being a development coach on team that is veteran laden and looking to win the cup each year cn be a tough job we ma not be able to accurately measure his success for a few years yet.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I thought he did a good job here. Sucks to lose him. Will be interesting to see who gets to be his replacement. Manny would be pretty sweet but I'm sure he is waiting for a tryout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad