News Article: Datsyuk wins Pride of Russian award in KHL

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
EDIT: title should read Pride of "Russia"...not Russian.

Pavel Datsyuk was named the Pride of Russia at a Russian awards ceremony - Ice Hockey Club SKA Saint Petersburg, 2018/12/04

SKA (St. Petersburg) and Russian national team forward Pavel Datsyuk has won an award!
On Tuesday evening, Pavel was named the Pride of Russia at a special Russian sporting awards ceremony. Congratulations, Magic Man!

This year, Pavel won the 2018 Olympic Games with the Russian national team, and became a member of the Triple Gold Club after winning Olympic gold, the NHL Stanley Cup and the World Championship in his glittering career. In the past, Pavel has also won the KHL Gagarin Cup and Russian championship with SKA.
SKA Hockey Club congratulates Pavel with this achievement!

upload_2018-12-4_17-51-11.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I do not know when you started watching hockey, but even the stars like yzerman, hull, sakic +++ enjoyed watching him.
On that note, back in the 2000's (prior to the '08 Cup win) Gretzky said "when I watch hockey to be entertained, I watch D & Z"...told my buddy who was pimping the Avs & Forsberg, dating back to the mid-late '90's...he was not happy & I'm not sure he even believed me.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I only started watching hockey this year. Checking some Datsyuk highlight videos as a result of this thread, I'm now deeply saddened I didn't get to see him play.
Welcome to the Intl. Community of Hockey Fans my friend! You picked the greatest team sport, the coolest game on earth & a great team to follow. It'll be interesting for you watching the Red Wings come into their own as they finish their rebuild in the coming years.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I only started watching hockey this year. Checking some Datsyuk highlight videos as a result of this thread, I'm now deeply saddened I didn't get to see him play.
If you really want "wow factor" watch 95-98 the Russian Five, Fedorov/Larionov/Kozlov/Fetisov/Konstantinov. Datsyuk & Zetterberg highlights, or really any Wings highlights '93-'12...Lidstrom retired in'12 and the team has been mediocre since.

Reactions: Bench

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm not sure what this award is.
Is this a life time achievement type thing? Is it political? Is this to acknowledge his anti-gay beliefs?
Never heard of this thing. Congrats Pavel, I miss watching you.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Unique how?

His mind mostly. How he came up with some of his moves and when he used them is sheer genius. There are players like McDavid that are supremely gifted and the best of their class but Datsyuk's wizard like moves are unique in sofar as the things he does and succeeds in getting away with is ridiculous.

We criticize people for using Jr level moves in the NHL and getting crushed, but Datsyuk would use moves you'd only ever think about doing for fun and apply them to NHL situations successfully. Also one of the few (maybe the only) with that combination of skillset of mind, creativity, defensive acumen and drive and skill.

That's what made him unique. He is what its like to watch hockey being fun.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He was unique in that he didn't wow you with any physical characteristics. He wasn't big, he wasn't fast, he wasn't super overtly physical. In fact, he looked like a weird little troll man with an oddly shaped head... and then he'd do the most graceful moves you've ever seen. Like when Roman Josi took one beat too long behind the net and Datsyuk picked his pocket and put it in the empty net before Pekka Rinne could react in the series against Nashville.

Also, Datsyuk (along with Zetterberg and Lidstrom) was also the antithesis of soft. Most players with his ridiculous skillset you could really disrupt by getting in their face and knocking them down. For all three of those guys, they hardly ever took a real crusher hit and even when they did, it would almost bounce off of them because of their crazy lower body strength. Datsyuk in particular could bait an opposing player into coming after him and then drop the shoulder and lay the dude out.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
He was unique in that he didn't wow you with any physical characteristics. He wasn't big, he wasn't fast, he wasn't super overtly physical. In fact, he looked like a weird little troll man with an oddly shaped head... and then he'd do the most graceful moves you've ever seen. Like when Roman Josi took one beat too long behind the net and Datsyuk picked his pocket and put it in the empty net before Pekka Rinne could react in the series against Nashville.

Also, Datsyuk (along with Zetterberg and Lidstrom) was also the antithesis of soft. Most players with his ridiculous skillset you could really disrupt by getting in their face and knocking them down. For all three of those guys, they hardly ever took a real crusher hit and even when they did, it would almost bounce off of them because of their crazy lower body strength. Datsyuk in particular could bait an opposing player into coming after him and then drop the shoulder and lay the dude out.

Or let them run into each other.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Or let them run into each other.

That too. But the thing everyone kinda missed about him was that he wasn't just slippery. The Grier thing was a big deal, but he had several times where a guy like Corey Perry would try to crush him, and he'd just curl up and explode into them from a standstill.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
That too. But the thing everyone kinda missed about him was that he wasn't just slippery. The Grier thing was a big deal, but he had several times where a guy like Corey Perry would try to crush him, and he'd just curl up and explode into them from a standstill.

The Grier thing is just iconic lol. It basically sums up who Dats is. If i had to pick iconic situations it'd be that dodge, the shootout goal against vokoun, and the Klein steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad