Datsyuk = N/A
Sundin = 2/8/10

Top 10 Hart:
Datsyuk = 3/9/10
Sundin = 8

Top 10 Selke:
Datsyuk = 1/1/1/3/3/3/5/9
Sundin = N/A

Datsyuk not only was just as good offensively, he is one of the best defensive forwards of all time. The only thing Sundin has on him is the # of games he played lol.

Selke is a reputation award any knowledgeable hockey fan with self-respect should take with a grain of salt. Players who win it also often win it a year or so late in the wrong season because of the waiting-in-line/pay-your-reputation-dues mentality. Zetterberg was the best two-way guy on the Wings and is criminally underrated. When the Wings had to fight off a crucial 3 on 5 kill in the 2008 SC finals against the Penguins did Babcock throw out "one of the best defensive forwards of all time" to defend? No he obviously didn't, he threw out Zetterberg instead.

Hart voters also sometimes undersold Sundin. He certainly did have seasons where he deserved better recognition, due to the actual definition of what the award is supposed to represent.

Datsyuk's one of the more overrated players on this board. That doesn't mean he wasn't a very good to great player, it's just that it gets exaggerated because of the flashy dekes and him being such a humble low-key likable guy.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As a Leafs fan, I'd take Datsyuk. I love me some Sundin, but I'm also a huge Datsyuk fan. Sundin was better offensively, rock solid consistent, scored no matter who he was paired with, and Captain Clutch. He carried teams, and always came through when you needed him. Datsyuk was awesome too. Absolutely magical with the puck, and made plays happen. Without the puck, solid and dependable. One of the best. The trade off on offense is a little more than compensated with DAtsyuk's extra defense, even when considering how much of a workhorse beast Sundin was.

Not a slamdunk, but I'd take Datsyuk. Both first ballot HOFers though, which is a select group of individuals.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Which player was better overall in their career?

Datsyuk:
Regular season - 953 GP / 918 P
Playoffs - 157 GP / 113 P
2 Cups, 3 Selkes, 4 Lady Byng, 1 Olympic Gold (2018)

Sundin:
Regular season - 1346 GP / 1349 P
Playoffs - 91 GP / 82 P
1 Olympic Gold (2006), 1 Messier Leadership Award

Datsyuk wins this one handily.

Reactions: TS Quint

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Sundin had an awesome career and his leadership is undervalued in north america. But Dats takes this, his defensive game was just amazing.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I'd probably rate the top 10 as:

1. Datsyuk
2. Selanne
3. Kozlov
4. Guerin
5. Whitney
6. Linseman
7. Kamensky
8. Kubina (only when he was in Tampa)
9. Cammalleri
10. Sundin

TooFlashy

May 28, 2016
Selke is a reputation award any knowledgeable hockey fan with self-respect should take with a grain of salt. Players who win it also often win it a year or so late in the wrong season because of the waiting-in-line/pay-your-reputation-dues mentality. Zetterberg was the best two-way guy on the Wings and is criminally underrated. When the Wings had to fight off a crucial 3 on 5 kill in the 2008 SC finals against the Penguins did Babcock throw out "one of the best defensive forwards of all time" to defend? No he obviously didn't, he threw out Zetterberg instead.

Hart voters also sometimes undersold Sundin. He certainly did have seasons where he deserved better recognition, due to the actual definition of what the award is supposed to represent.

Datsyuk's one of the more overrated players on this board. That doesn't mean he wasn't a very good to great player, it's just that it gets exaggerated because of the flashy dekes and him being such a humble low-key likable guy.
Agreed.Datsyuk was too flashy,I think Holmstrom was better player.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am a big admirer of Sundin. But if I had to choose a player that played well in all situations, it would be Datsyuk if both players were in their prime.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
IMO, Datsyuk was the best in the world in 07/08 and 08/09.

Might not be a popular opinion, but hard to argue against a guy who just misses 100 points while being the best two-way forward.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Went with magic man Datsyuk. Very close offensively, slight edge to Sundin, but Datsyuk was also elite defensively.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

I’d agree on the Selke having some reputation attached to it. But your argument of a coach throwing out another top 3 or so defensive forward instead of Datsyuk one time is a pretty poor one at best. Zetterberg was better positionally. Datsyuk was better at interrupting the other team’s offense with a steal and quick deke/pass. You’re not going to have much of a chance to do that on a 5 on 3.

For as good as the team was around him, Datsyuk often had Cleary or Abdelkader staples to his side for a large part of his career. It’s a shame Hossa didn’t stick around, would’ve been something to see him with a great winger for a while.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I’d agree on the Selke having some reputation attached to it. But your argument of a coach throwing out another top 3 or so defensive forward instead of Datsyuk one time is a pretty poor one at best. Zetterberg was better positionally. Datsyuk was better at interrupting the other team’s offense with a steal and quick deke/pass. You’re not going to have much of a chance to do that on a 5 on 3.

For as good as the team was around him, Datsyuk often had Cleary or Abdelkader staples to his side for a large part of his career. It’s a shame Hossa didn’t stick around, would’ve been something to see him with a great winger for a while.

With Zetterberg on the team Datsyuk didn't have to pull as much weight defensively – positionally, for instance – ice time wise as he would have had without him, which allowed him to do more of his 'offensive defensive' thing, with all the steals, which he admittedly was very good at.

I've no problem admitting Datsyuk was better defensively than Sundin, I just don't buy into the "and it isn't close" chorus when comparing them as overall players. Sundin was a true franchise type of C and had a great impact on many Canucks players during his short half-season-and-playoffs stint in Vancouver. Kesler blossomed offensively after having played with Sundin, and the Sedins credited him with helping them become superstars, et cetera. I think Sundin is a bit underrated just because he didn't bring much flash on the NHL stage, just a lot of boring consistent 70-80 points Dead Puck Era seasons on a team that was very much a fake contender.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Zetterberg was a better in-zone defensive player, but for most of his career, he wasn't all that close to Datsyuk in terms of limiting overall chances against and dominating possession. Whether you want to call it defense or offense or two-way play, all underlying stats point to Datsyuk as being underrated if anything, because he was as good as anyone in his prime in terms of his effect on GF%. Sundin didn't really have close to the same effect

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
With Zetterberg on the team Datsyuk didn't have to pull as much weight defensively – positionally, for instance – ice time wise as he would have had without him, which allowed him to do more of his 'offensive defensive' thing, with all the steals, which he admittedly was very good at.

I've no problem admitting Datsyuk was better defensively than Sundin, I just don't buy into the "and it isn't close" chorus when comparing them as overall players. Sundin was a true franchise type of C and had a great impact on many Canucks players during his short half-season-and-playoffs stint in Vancouver. Kesler blossomed offensively after having played with Sundin, and the Sedins credited him with helping them become superstars, et cetera. I think Sundin is a bit underrated just because he didn't bring much flash on the NHL stage, just a lot of boring consistent 70-80 points Dead Puck Era seasons on a team that was very much a fake contender.

Zetterberg was a great defender but you’re way off if you’re trying to say Datsyuk wasn’t a defense first center. We wanted him to be more selfish offensively for years. The dude was always thinking defense and pass first. It was an actual flaw of his at times.

I’ve got no problem with you saying Sundin was good defensively, but yeah it isn’t close. Datsyuk absolutely tilted the ice and was a possession monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad