• too close to call

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Which player was better overall in their career?

Datsyuk:
Regular season - 953 GP / 918 P
Playoffs - 157 GP / 113 P
2 Cups, 3 Selkes, 4 Lady Byng, 1 Olympic Gold (2018)

Sundin:
Regular season - 1346 GP / 1349 P
Playoffs - 91 GP / 82 P
1 Olympic Gold (2006), 1 Messier Leadership Award

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sundin has the longevity and was incredibly consistent but it's not like Datsyuk only played a handful of games. He also has 2 cup rings if you are including those achievements. His peak was easily higher than Sundin so I'm going with him and he was also consistent throughout his career. Not just some shooting star type resume. No slight to Sundin, but I don't have this as particularly close.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Sundin has the longevity and was incredibly consistent but it's not like Datsyuk only played a handful of games. He also has 2 cup rings if you are including those achievements. His peak was easily higher than Sundin so I'm going with him and he was also consistent throughout his career. Not just some shooting star type resume. No slight to Sundin, but I don't have this as particularly close.

Forgot the cups - edited and added!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides Sundin having more career points, he also had more career goals with 564. Datsyuk's career goal total was 314.

Also Datsyuk's first Stanley Cup in 2002 is when he was still on the 4th line and not the player we all remember him becoming.

Finally I'm wondering is this question being asked since Datsyuk was named the best player to wear the #13? It seems a lot of people disagreed with that.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Besides Sundin having more career points, he also had more career goals with 564. Datsyuk's career goal total was 314.

Also Datsyuk's first Stanley Cup in 2002 is when he was still on the 4th line and not the player we all remember him becoming.

Finally I'm wondering is this question being asked since Datsyuk was named the best player to wear the #13? It seems a lot of people disagreed with that.

Sundin has more points because he played far more games and also began his career when scoring was much higher. Still he was incredibly consistent and a big chunk of career came during the dead puck era so it's impressive he never really had a season where he dropped off at all.

Datsyuk was by far the more skilled and full rounded player. Literally one of the best defensive players of all time while putting up 90+ point seasons. I just felt necessary to include the SC rings because the OP included olympic golds for each which is not an individual achievement.

Sundin the better goal scorer for sure but other than that I don't see an argument for him over Datsyuk when you compare their career accomplishments and peak performance.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017

Top 10 points:
Datsyuk = 4/4/10
Sundin = 4/7

Top 10 goals:
Datsyuk = N/A
Sundin = 2/8/10

Top 10 Hart:
Datsyuk = 3/9/10
Sundin = 8

Top 10 Selke:
Datsyuk = 1/1/1/3/3/3/5/9
Sundin = N/A

Datsyuk not only was just as good offensively, he is one of the best defensive forwards of all time. The only thing Sundin has on him is the # of games he played lol.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Site skipped on me causing me to vote Sundin by mistake. Datsyuk had a long enough career as a clearly better player that I don't think Sundin's longevity makes up for it

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Top 10 points:
Datsyuk = 4/4/10
Sundin = 4/7

Top 10 goals:
Datsyuk = N/A
Sundin = 2/8/10

Top 10 Hart:
Datsyuk = 3/9/10
Sundin = 8

Top 10 Selke:
Datsyuk =
Sundin = 1/1/1/3/3/3/5/9

Datsyuk not only was just as good offensively, he is one of the best defensive forwards of all time. The only thing Sundin has on him is the # of games he played lol.

Pretty sure your Selke finishes are a typo

Reactions: Love

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Top 10 points:
Datsyuk = 4/4/10
Sundin = 4/7

Top 10 goals:
Datsyuk = N/A
Sundin = 2/8/10

Top 10 Hart:
Datsyuk = 3/9/10
Sundin = 8

Top 10 Selke:
Datsyuk =
Sundin = 1/1/1/3/3/3/5/9

I was leaning Datsyuk - but that edge in Selke was the tipping point for me to vote Sundin.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Datsyuk has gotten a little forgotten. At his peak, he was competing with the likes of prime/peak Ovie, Malkin, and Crosby for title of best player around. He's been so underrated, maybe because of his oddball demeanor and quiet/stealthy way of playing. No disrespect to Sundin, he was a great player, but watching Pav play was different than watching anyone else before or after.

Reactions: TS Quint and Gains

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Datsyuk definitely. Sundin very consistent but never hit a level that Datsyuk did and Datsyuk had enough games played that the longevity isnt a deal breaker.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Top 10 points:
Datsyuk = 4/4/10
Sundin = 4/7

Top 10 goals:
Datsyuk = N/A
Sundin = 2/8/10

Top 10 Hart:
Datsyuk = 3/9/10
Sundin = 8

Top 10 Selke:
Datsyuk = 1/1/1/3/3/3/5/9
Sundin = N/A

Playoffs

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The only thing Sundin has on him is the # of games he played lol.

International play while Datsyuk was good, Sundin kills him there.

Sundin was a better goal scorer, had a great short slapper and a deadly backhand.

Faceoffs, Sundin was really strong on.

Captaincy/leadership, Sundin.

Datsyuk while good was continuously outshined in the playoffs, both offensively and defensively, by his forward teammate Henrik Zetterberg.

Lol.

TooFlashy

May 28, 2016
International play while Datsyuk was good, Sundin kills him there.

Sundin was a better goal scorer, had a great short slapper and a deadly backhand.

Faceoffs, Sundin was really strong on.

Captaincy/leadership, Sundin.

Datsyuk while good was continuously outshined in the playoffs, both offensively and defensively, by his forward teammate Henrik Zetterberg.

Lol.
Lol.

Reactions: newfy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad