Datsyuk to attend NHL All-Star Game

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I laugh at them! The Red Wings routinely let players take games off coming back from the Olympics. Is that screwing your team for selfish reasons? :D

"Routinely" You know the Olympics are only every 4 years, right? If you consider he missed games with the Red Wings to "save himself" to play for Putin, signed a contract he had no intention of fulfilling and pretty much dogging it last season, all while using his daughter as his excuse but playing far away from where she lives. Well, I feel sorry for the people that buy his bs.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
"Routinely" You know the Olympics are only every 4 years, right? If you consider he missed games with the Red Wings to "save himself" to play for Putin, signed a contract he had no intention of fulfilling and pretty much dogging it last season, all while using his daughter as his excuse but playing far away from where she lives. Well, I feel sorry for the people that buy his bs.
I'm happy for Pavel. He was smart to get off the sinking ship, whether it had anything to do with his family or not.

Were I in his shoes, I only would've signed that final contract if it was a sign-and-trade to a contender. He stuck around at least a couple years after it was clear that Illitch was never getting him that "Russian buddy" to help him up front, and was letting the team start to wither.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

"dogging it last season"

lol he is 38 yrs old and was still the best player on our team

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Pavel's really been dogging it this season for his KHL team. 7th on the team in points (only 5th in P/G because we all knew he was bound to miss some games.)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Hfhistory is biased against wings players for whatever reason. That said lids doesn't belong near the top ten.

plus that list is from 2008 while Lidstrom was still playing

there's a slightly more recent one from 2009 on that same forum where he moved from 26th to 17th

presumably a more recent one would have him a bit higher still(there's a top defenseman list from 2012 that has him as the 5th best defenseman and he was the 6th defenseman on that 2009 list)

if there was a new list done today he probably still wouldn't be top 10 but top 15 looks like it would be fairly likely

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Pretty much. His final two years here were ugly.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Pavel's really been dogging it this season for his KHL team. 7th on the team in points (only 5th in P/G because we all knew he was bound to miss some games.)

I know, right? It's so strange, what could possibly cause a professional athlete who relied on his strength, quickness, shiftiness and reflexes to become one of the best players of his generation to decline into a player who isn't as strong or quick anymore as players ten/fifteen years younger than him, and statistically regresses? Hmm, it's so weird, what could cause that...

It certainly couldn't be a natural process that eventually effects all humans, and certainly not athletes. Because we've got some real iron men world-class athletes posting in here, think because they can jog a couple miles at a medium pace without puking their guts out that we can safely assume hockey players just don't get old and wear down. When they don't perform to our unreasonable expectations, it must be because they're selfish, lazy, mercenary ruskies, and not because they're, you know, old and have incurred physical damage to their joints, caused by the repetitive, violent motions required to perform the necessary work to play a thousand or so professional hockey games.

Anecdotally though, as an an asthmatic and only semi-athletic 18 year old with relatively short legs, I could run a respectable 4.5 minute mile; I was a decent baseball player with a low 90s fastball and a curve that fell off the table at 15, was the only 14 year old on a 14-15-16 tournament team that produced a couple of guys who managed brief minor league careers, could actually hit a baseball with regularity despite having only one well-functioning eye, and I even threw out a guy at home plate from the left field fence with a Bo Jackson-esque laser in a tournament game as 12 year old. I'm Pavel's age now, take far better care of myself than I ever did in my youth in regard to diet and conditioning, and would count myself lucky to crack a mile in 6 minutes; my shoulder, despite not having seriously thrown a baseball in 20 years, feels like there's a section of cruel violinists in there plucking and sawing at the muscles and tendons whenever I raise my arm; my knees are arthritic and accurately indicate barometric pressure by the pitch of their creaks and pops when I crouch and stand. But I'm probably just dogging it. Maybe I'll try to walk-on down at Tigers camp next month, I'm sure I'll make the team if I just put in a full effort. Because I was a decent ball player twenty years ago in my prime, surely it should be no problem for me now to be the Tigers best player and win them that World Series they've been chasing.

Seriously, it takes a very warped perspective to point to a guy who at 36 was one of the few players in the best league in the world to put up more than a point per game that season over a reasonable sample size, and at 37 playing on one tired knee still nearly lead the team in points despite playing 16 fewer games than the player who did, and say he was not giving something near a full effort. If this year is any indication, Datsyuk was literally the only skater keeping the Red Wings within shouting distance of relevancy. If the price of getting him to stick around as long as he did was allowing him the occasional indulgence of his patriotic spirit, then the drama queens throwing hissies over every loss and every poor play this year should be thankful for having their current misery stayed for such a small price. The end of Datsyuk's tenure was indeed ugly, but the account of that falls to Holland and Co., for not doing more to give Dats, Lids and Zeke one last legit shot at a cup before the band broke up, or providing worthy successors for them to pass the torch to and letting them take a backseat to enjoy the sunset of their careers. They knew Datsyuk had a foot out the door, and offered the contract anyway. It's ridiculous that anyone, the GM especially, would expect that an aging Datsyuk should have to carry this team on his back, let alone that he could. And watching broken down Datsyuk carry this inept bunch to another four-and-out would have been worse for all-concerned. It's pathetic to see any Wing fan carry such petty and misguided bitterness for a player we (and the whole NHL) were fortunate to have and enjoy at all.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
LOL at hating on a hall of fame player that helped bring cup parades to Detroit that had an opportunity to leave this dumpster fire and took it. And LOL at Holland for making the team even more mediocre as a result (veteran signing plus trade down)

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Alrighty then. He's top ten for defenseman not all players all time. That's ludicrous.

Seven Norrises, a Conne Smythe, four Stanley Cups, and 22 yrs with only missing a handful of games.. No, he doesn't belong in the top 10. :shakehead

It will be great to see Datsyuk there.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
As of two years ago, Sports Illustrated ranked Nick as the 4th best defenseman of all time:

http://www.si.com/nhl/photos/2015/01/19/top-25-nhl-defensemen-all-time

Considering the names on either side of him, I don't have any problem saying he's a top 15 player, possibly flirting with top 10.

Really, looking at their respective talent and careers, I'd rank him higher on the HOH list than Hasek (13), and I say that as a big fan of Dom, but lists are ultimately opinions.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
LOL at hating on a hall of fame player that helped bring cup parades to Detroit that had an opportunity to leave this dumpster fire and took it. And LOL at Holland for making the team even more mediocre as a result (veteran signing plus trade down)

But you're hating on a HOF GM that brought numerous Cups to Detroit?

Datsyuk made slick moves on the ice and some dick moves off it. Just like he owes the Red Wings nothing, the fans owe him nothing. I don't get why anyone would really care if he shows up at the All Star game. Taking time away from his daughter to go to the NHL all star game. What a guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad