Datsyuk signs 2 yr $3.9 mill per year with SKA

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I still think he ends up back in the NHL next season. Not with Detroit, obviously.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
It's sweet that he will now be seeing his daughter every day and will be a big part of her life going forward.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I still think he ends up back in the NHL next season. Not with Detroit, obviously.

Yeah, of course. He's going to play with Pronger and Savard.

Guy wants to be in Russia. It's his home. Every off-season he's in Russia. That's where he wants to be. He's going to enjoy that now.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yeah, of course. He's going to play with Pronger and Savard.

Guy wants to be in Russia. It's his home. Every off-season he's in Russia. That's where he wants to be. He's going to enjoy that now.

I think he'll get that itch to want to play in the best league in the world. Wouldn't be surprised to see his name surface around the trade deadline about going to a contender. Did he officially sign his retirement papers? Because I think once you sign you have to wait another year to come back. Could be wrong.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think he'll get that itch to want to play in the best league in the world. Wouldn't be surprised to see his name surface around the trade deadline about going to a contender. Did he officially sign his retirement papers? Because I think once you sign you have to wait another year to come back. Could be wrong.

Yes.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
Datsyuk has already won two cups. He's long had a desire to finish his career in Russia. I'd think the odds of him returning to the NHL are about as close to zero as you can get.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
It's sweet that he will now be seeing his daughter every day and will be a big part of her life going forward.

He will still be quite a distance from where his daughter lives and won't be seeing her daily. He doesn't even spend the whole summer with her when he had the opportunity. It was never about his daughter. It was about playing hockey in Russia.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

How is he going to do that exactly? He's across the country and has practice, travel, or a game nearly every day during the season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wonder what was in the signing bonus briefcase they brought in to the negotiations though.... I don't believe for a second that is what he is getting.

Hope he does well there, not surprising to see him go to SKA, they are the glamour club there. Guess he might be able to sneak in a day once a month to see his daughter in Yekaterinburg, hopefully he got some of that in his contract.

Was a pleasure watching him all these years. Sad it ended the way it did though. Also hate that he picked the team I root to get beat every week in the KHL. Don't like SKA one bit.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Happy for him. He had a great career with the red wings organization and now he gets to finish his career back at home close to his family. In life family should always come first, so good for Pavel!

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
it will be different team without him and we not going to make post season. It should be rebuild year but they just try to make it more mediocre instead ,sad

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I love how those ****ing in this thread think they know exactly what the family's situation is and plan going forward...

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
could be wrong, but I thought his daughter was going to boarding school in England...but that's neither here nor there...

Datsyuk is never coming back to N. America. Wish him all the best with whatever playing time he has left. One of my all time Favorites. Call to the Hall in 3 years.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I love how everyone ****ing in this thread think they know exactly what their family situation is and what their plan is going forward...

It's just a handful of people. Not "everyone". Don't let the squeaky wheels tilt your perception that most people are very happy to see Datsyuk is getting to finally act out on his desire to play in Russia, despite how it went down in the end.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
It's just a handful of people. Not "everyone". Don't let the squeaky wheels tilt your perception that most people are very happy to see Datsyuk is getting to finally act out on his desire to play in Russia, despite how it went down in the end.

Sorry, meant those posters complaining about it. Non-English speaker...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sorry, meant those posters complaining about it. Non-English speaker...

No problem! Your English is fantastic. Certainly better than my Finnish, which I've been surrounded by most of my life. It still doesn't make any sense to me.

But I've got sisu, so that's good, right? :laugh:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
No problem! Your English is fantastic. Certainly better than my Finnish, which I've been surrounded by most of my life. It still doesn't make any sense to me.

But I've got sisu, so that's good, right? :laugh:
Haha yeah, some sisu is always good :laugh:

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
His daughter also doesn't need a family visa to see him now.

Pretty sure his daughter was born in America.

I think what some of us take issue with is that Datsyuk's actions and words are in contradiction with each other. If he was honest and would just say he's leaving to fulfill his dream to play hockey in Russia, fine, go. He's been verbalizing that since he first came to play with the Red Wings. But then he starts using the injury as a reason, but then is going to play hockey in Russia. Then he uses not enough time with his daughter as a reason, but then his agent tells the media that he only spends a few weeks of the four month summer with her. I think added to that is deciding right after signing the contract that he wanted to leave. Being too hurt to play for the Red Wings but able to play for Team Russian in the Olympics. He's put himself in a situation to be open to criticism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad