Datsyuk 2008/2009 vs Stamkos 2011/2012

Who had the better season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Two seasons that couldn't be more opposite to one another. It does make for an interesting question.

Datsyuk Stats: 5th in assists, 3rd in points, 5th in ppg, +34, 69 primary points, 61 even strength points,

Award wins/finishes: 3rd in Hart voting, Lindsay Finalist, Selke winner, 2nd all star

Note:
1 of the only 3 players to win the Selke while finishing in top 5 in scoring

Stamkos Stats: 1st in goals, 2nd in points, 3rd in ppg, +7, 88 primary points, 72 even strength points

Award wins/finishes: 2nd in Hart voting, Lindsay Finalist, Rocket winner, 2nd all star

Note: 60 goals is the highest goal total in 10 years, 2nd highest in 15 years, and 4th highest in 25 years

Which player had the better season in your opinion?

Last edited:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Datsyuk because Stamkos needed MSL to hit that total. Also, he isn't close to the complete player of Dats. He doesn't have that game-breaking ability that Dats has nor is even near the possession player that Dats is/was

Let's not even get into the defensive part

Reactions: ClydeLee and Fixxer

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I've said it a thousand times and it ain't changing...

Datsyuk in 07-08 and 08-09 was the best player in the world.
upload_2020-10-23_6-18-2.png
not convinced it was even close

Reactions: cole von cole

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ovechkin had 79 even strength goals. Datsyuk had 40. But Datsyuk was better at even strength offense. Sure. That totally passes the smell test.

I hope you aren't paying for this crap.

Yeah, and Adam Oates the plug only had 25 goals while Brett Hull scored 86.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yeah, and Adam Oates the plug only had 25 goals while Brett Hull scored 86.

Brett Hull won the Hart while Oates got zero votes that year. Brett hull was very clearly the far superior offensive player, as was Ovechkin who curb stomped Datsyuk in first place Hart votes 243-4 during those two seasons.

There is no one-size-fits-all metric in hockey. It's not baseball.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Datsyuk because Stamkos needed MSL to hit that total. Also, he isn't close to the complete player of Dats. He doesn't have that game-breaking ability that Dats has nor is even near the possession player that Dats is/was

Let's not even get into the defensive part

Meanwhile, Datsyuk played with ECHLers in Hossa, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom and Rafalski. People post the darndest things.

Reactions: East Coast Icestyle

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I've said it a thousand times and it ain't changing...

Datsyuk in 07-08 and 08-09 was the best player in the world.

It was pretty much between him and Ovechkin, but Crosby and Malkin were right there with them as well.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Meanwhile, Datsyuk played with ECHLers in Hossa, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom and Rafalski. People post the darndest things.

I'm not arguing the point you are making, I just find it a bit funny that you included Holmstrom in your list. I loved what he brought to the table, but the fact that Holmstrom was Datsyuk's linemate for a few years doesn't really help your argument. Also keep in mind that Babcock absolutely loved playing guys like Cleary, Abdelkader (and yes, Holmstrom) on Datsyuk's line because Datsyuk was able to get the most out of his linemates.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Brett Hull won the Hart while Oates got zero votes that year. Brett hull was very clearly the far superior offensive player, as was Ovechkin who curb stomped Datsyuk in first place Hart votes 243-4 during those two seasons.

There is no one-size-fits-all metric in hockey. It's not baseball.

Datsyuk was very clearly a better two-way player and averaged 2 less minutes per game on the powerplay, and he was within 15 points of him still. Obviously the Hart favours offensive only players and also Datsyuk being on a team with Lidstrom and Zetterberg didn't help his case. You could make a case for either one.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This is so clearly Datsyuk it's crazy anyone legitimately believes Stamkos was the better player. Datsyuk was peak Ovechkin level, video footage and advanced stats don't lie here.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I'm not arguing the point you are making, I just find it a bit funny that you included Holmstrom in your list. I loved what he brought to the table, but the fact that Holmstrom was Datsyuk's linemate for a few years doesn't really help your argument. Also keep in mind that Babcock absolutely loved playing guys like Cleary, Abdelkader (and yes, Holmstrom) on Datsyuk's line because Datsyuk was able to get the most out of his linemates.
Holmstrom was one of the best net front presence guys in the league. He was a massive contributor for the Wings.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

Whereas Datsyuk merely played a ton with Lidstrom - arguably the second greatest defenseman of all time? And Hossa? Nevermind Zetterberg.

How could you possibly call this some sort of disadvantage?!?

You guys are acting like they were instrumental in his point totals. Datsyuk led the 2009 team in scoring with 97 points, and second place had 73 points (the almighty Zetterberg).

Whereas Stamkos hit 60 goals (the only reason he is in this poll) directly because of MSL's playmaking. He never drove the puck up the ice, never had the stick-handling to get himself in scoring areas. He was kind of what OV is nowadays, a sniper/triggerman.

Datsyuk didn't need players to be great. It helps playing on stacked teams, but Datsyuk was an all-world talent.

Reactions: cole von cole
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Holmstrom was one of the best net front presence guys in the league. He was a massive contributor for the Wings.

I've been watching the Wings religiously for years, I know what he brought to the table, and yes he was a great netfront guy, and was a good agitator, and eventually he developed a bit of a scoring touch. The guy was far from a "skilled or speedy" player. He was a hardworking agitator, who worked on the PP due to his unique net-front skillset, but let's not pretend Tomas Holmstrom was ever being mentioned for any All-Star ballots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad