Data request - plus/minus component data

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have the regular season plus/minus component data (ie TGF, PGF, TGA, PGA) for each player/season from 1960 to 2021 (or as much of that period as possible)? I'm working on a project and getting this data in a consistent/usable format is proving challenging.

Thanks!

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
You can get aggregate per game +- (as a total stat, incl. EN, NE, and SH goals) since 1959, in game JSONs.
You can get the on-ice data for goals since 1997 in the Game Summary (GS) HTML reports.
You can get the on-ice data for each event including goals in the PlayByPlay (PL) HTML reports.

As far as I know, the regular live JSONs do not contain detailed on-ice information.
I do production of aggregate and derived reports from the sources, but it costs money.

The data available in the sources is detailed on my website:
https://nhlerrata.com/overview/stats

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
As far as I know there isn't any place online that you can easily get this data historically (the NHL does currently have this info and more for 2009-2010 and later) anymore (I say anymore because I believe the NHL site did actually have this a few years back but aren't sharing the reports for what constitutes +/- anymore except for the recent seasons report linked already).

The data is on Hockey Reference obviously, but it goes player by player, and it is against the terms of service to scrape the site broadly. Dan Diamond's Total Hockey books have the data (from 1967 to publish date), I am assuming that's where Hockey Reference got some of this from? I haven't subscribed to the paid Stathead service of Hockey Reference to see if that will even let you query that data, but it doesn't seem like it from the filters available.

I know on some old Yahoo! hockey groups the info and others was shared around online in spreadsheet format. I believe the source of that info was the Total Hockey books.

Ideally the NHL brings back the detailed +/- reports again. I'm just waiting (hoping) for that at this point lol

Where to find historical goals for/against data online?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
As far as I know there isn't any place online that you can easily get this data historically (the NHL does currently have this info and more for 2009-2010 and later) anymore (I say anymore because I believe the NHL site did actually have this a few years back but aren't sharing the reports for what constitutes +/- anymore except for the recent seasons report linked already).

The data is on Hockey Reference obviously, but it goes player by player, and it is against the terms of service to scrape the site broadly. Dan Diamond's Total Hockey books have the data (from 1967 to publish date), I am assuming that's where Hockey Reference got some of this from? I haven't subscribed to the paid Stathead service of Hockey Reference to see if that will even let you query that data, but it doesn't seem like it from the filters available.

I know on some old Yahoo! hockey groups the info and others was shared around online in spreadsheet format. I believe the source of that info was the Total Hockey books.

Ideally the NHL brings back the detailed +/- reports again. I'm just waiting (hoping) for that at this point lol

Where to find historical goals for/against data online?

I haven't heard of Dan Diamond's "Total Hockey" in a long time! I have a hard copy floating around somewhere (though it's probably 15-20 years out of date at this point, and of course in hard copy rather than digital).

I'll keep digging. I'm fairly sure I saved a copy of the plus/minus data from an old Yahoo message board, the Hockey Analysis Group, but that too would be 15+ years out of date by now (and that wouldn't have 1960-1967 either, was that was just published over the past few years).

It's too bad NHL.com doesn't publish this information; they must have it. But at least we can look up who took the most game misconducts!

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
My speculation of why the NHL had the info up and now has removed it has to do with the corrections to +/- they quietly made. You look at old hockey cards and see the +/- which was clearly matched with the constituent parts of the old total/powerplay goals for/against numbers, but some of that has slightly changed as the NHL has went back through their gamesheets and updated player +/-.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
How is that illegal? Does it matter what the end use is - commercial, academic, personal consumption? If someone copies and pastes a stat table from nhl.com into a spreadsheet and looks at it - is that illegal? I have no intention or skill to scrape / retrieve data, but I’m really curious.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
How is that illegal? Does it matter what the end use is - commercial, academic, personal consumption? If someone copies and pastes a stat table from nhl.com into a spreadsheet and looks at it - is that illegal? I have no intention or skill to scrape / retrieve data, but I’m really curious.
someone copies/pastes a single table with a proper reference != someone scrapes it regularly and distributes it as if their own.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
someone copies/pastes a single table with a proper reference != someone scrapes it regularly and distributes it as if their own.
Thank you. My questions are not rhetorical or intended to be sarcastic or signal any value judgement.
I actually think exchange of facts / knowledge on these types of issues would be highly relevant for this forum. But, of course it is no ones duty or job to contribute and I have no idea what the law of the land(s) is/are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad