Data for "Forced" Defensive Zone Starts?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Does anyone know if this exists somewhere? When people talk about zone starts it's usually about deployment, but that of course doesn't account for plays where a team ices the puck and the players have to stay on.

Seems like a valuable thing to track anyways. It may be a good indicator of players that get pinned in their own zone and have to ice it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Are you only asking for forced icing plays or forced anything which results in a defensive zone start for the offending team?

Forced anything, although I believe that would still only be icings. Maybe I'm forgetting something obvious, but I can't think of another situation besides icing the puck where players are forced to be kept on the ice for a faceoff.

Reason I ask is because maybe there's a poor defensive player that is out for a lot of D-zone draws simply because they have to ice it a lot when they're pinned in their own zone. When people cite D-zone starts, it's usually to show their utilization.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Forced anything, although I believe that would still only be icings. Maybe I'm forgetting something obvious, but I can't think of another situation besides icing the puck where players are forced to be kept on the ice for a faceoff.

Reason I ask is because maybe there's a poor defensive player that is out for a lot of D-zone draws simply because they have to ice it a lot when they're pinned in their own zone. When people cite D-zone starts, it's usually to show their utilization.

Oh, okay. I missed the part where you said the players have to stay on.

I'll try to get the results of this when I get some time.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I actually found a site (puckbase.com) that tracks the reason for each faceoff (including icings), but they only track a log for each player, and only for faceoffs, not D-zone starts. Still a handy thing to have, but it can be a pain to export as you can only do it on an individual player basis.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I have been looking for a chart which shows what defenseman play the toughest minutes. Like defensive zone starts and matching up against top lines, if possible. Idk if that's exactly the same thing as the original post.

Last edited:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Similar to the above question:.

Is the difference in difficulty between 1st line defensive duties and 2nd line defensive duties "significant" during 5 on 5 play?

NHL teams are spreading out their top talent over the 2 lines these days. Even today's 4th lines are scoring goals regularly. Is it still accurate to downgrade a 2nd pairing defensemen?

It just seems to me to be less of a relevent characteristic about a defensemen's performance to say that he's only a 2nd pairing guy. Most team's 2nd lines are just about as good as their 1st lines.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I think this brings up a great stat that the league should be tracking.....icings. If a player ices the puck, that is a negative event, easy to record, and should be tracked.

Just think of how these "defensive D men" would stand out as drains on their team if we knew how many times they forced 5 of their tired players to start again in their own zone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad