Post-Game Talk: Dast Axel Jonsson Djallby and Dabulous Martin Dehervary take on the Anaheim Ducks 10:07 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I know that. Gibson is a pure #1 goalie and top 5 in my book. Vitek is a BACKUP GOALIE! He's not a #1 goalie and will never be a #1 goalie.
We don't have any other options. We don't have Gibsons waiting their time. Vitek has shown progress so far. He's improved and become reliable, while Sammy stays the same. It's been 3 years and Sammy is still a prospect. Fucale isn't Gibson either. Not sure what you want from the team. We aren't getting extraordinary goaltending, we just need to win with this good enough one.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Take the point, rest up and do it again tmrw
Great 3rd period effort after getting dominated in 2nd, and then actually tying it back up late was yummy
1st pd wasn't bad, effort was there give it 55/45 for ANA the 1st 20
knew the faceoffs would be bad, but wow

Don't care 1 bit that it was OTL, should've been a reg loss with losing Eller on top of everyone else
Was happy that Lavi was using everyone all game even the OT

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It was a bit of a clusterf**** in front of him, with Zegras crossing from right to left and the other Duck forward still an option for zegras to pass to and with 92 getting crossed up in the coverage and giving Zegras room to load up.
Also, bad bad pinch by 8 at other end to start the whole sequence in motion.
That was a helluva shot by Zegras. And it’s not as if VV was on the goal line. He was at top of crease. I put that goal on the players in front of him.

Zegras ripped it top corner. Vitek dropped down in the butterfly. Wrong goalie technique made that shot look better than it was! Vitek is still not good enough on reading plays that develop in front of him. It's one of the reasons why his rebound control is so bad.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
We don't have any other options. We don't have Gibsons waiting their time. Vitek has shown progress so far. He's improved and become reliable, while Sammy stays the same. It's been 3 years and Sammy is still a prospect. Fucale isn't Gibson either. Not sure what you want from the team. We aren't getting extraordinary goaltending, we just need to win with this good enough one.

Just good enough goaltending doesn't even help you win a playoff series. I'm not expecting Vitek/Sammy to be a Kolzig/Holtby prime, but the goaltending has to better and more consistent. I can't emphasize enough that we are going with 2 BACKUP GOALIES in net! There is no #1, 1a or even 1b. Vitek is a 2A and Sammy is a 2B!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

You are right, Fucale aint even close to Gibson, but he is better than Vitek/Sammy. That 2-0 shutout against the Wings was not a fluke. Fucale was good with his reads, had fluid movements, played his angles well, knew when to challenge and when to keep his positioning, handled the puck very well, and was pretty good on his rebound control. He even knew when to hold onto pucks, get a whistle so the Caps could make a face-off line change and avoid the opponent having prolonged offensive pressure in our D-zone. I have yet to see that completeness in Vitek/Sammy in any game! Both goalies are still doing sh*t that you see AHL goalies do in their development stages and even ones that never make it to the NHL.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ahh, another loss because of Vanecek I see. If we only had a goalie our group of "Heshey Bears tours the NHL" would be 82-0. VV has been outplayed by Vasilevsky and Gibson already so far! Time to ship him back to the beer league where he belongs.

Off game for the team, and especially for the 1st line. Thats expected with the minutes they are eating right now.. Im glad that we still get a point, Ducks has been pretty good this year so far. Moving on. Cant win them all. Lets get another point from the Kings and the train is still moving forward reliably.

Im still overwhelmed how good we are doing with the list of players we are missing. We have 4-5 AHL-guys everynight in the lineup (+ one beer leaguer) and we are still getting points even on the off-nights.

Reactions: kicksavedave and um

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Agreed that Vanacek is more of a backup than a starter. But I just don’t get why you guys are so mad at him, he’s playing to his capabilities and is reliable. It’s like getting mad at TVR for not being a top pairing guy.

But here is the problem. Caps are using Vitek as their #1 goalie and he's not a reliable #1 goalie. Sammy is right now looking like a 1st round bust. BMac is gonna have a big problem when the season is over. Sammy becomes an RFA. Normally that is good because you can keep a players annual salary cost down. Problem is if the Caps want to re-sign Sammy, they have to qualify him or they lose his rights when free agency starts. You know the Caps are gonna say Sammy should take a pay cut because he did not meet the expectations the team was looking for. If Sammy doesn't get his act together and quickly improve, then to me he becomes a lame duck goalie and trade bait. I can bet ya from Sammy's camp, he will not want to take a pay cut from the $2 million he's making. BMac has to make a decision, do you go forward with Vitek or Sammy. You can't keep going forward with both. By the way, regarding Vitek next contract with him also being an RFA, he should only be getting at most a 2 year deal and you have to be paying him less than Sammy's $2 million. I would say no more than $1.5 million per year.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
But here is the problem. Caps are using Vitek as their #1 goalie and he's not a reliable #1 goalie. Sammy is right now looking like a 1st round bust. BMac is gonna have a big problem when the season is over. Sammy becomes an RFA. Normally that is good because you can keep a players annual salary cost down. Problem is if the Caps want to re-sign Sammy, they have to qualify him or they lose his rights when free agency starts. You know the Caps are gonna say Sammy should take a pay cut because he did not meet the expectations the team was looking for. If Sammy doesn't get his act together and quickly improve, then to me he becomes a lame duck goalie and trade bait. I can bet ya from Sammy's camp, he will not want to take a pay cut from the $2 million he's making. BMac has to make a decision, do you go forward with Vitek or Sammy. You can't keep going forward with both. By the way, regarding Vitek next contract with him also being an RFA, he should only be getting at most a 2 year deal and you have to be paying him less than Sammy's $2 million. I would say no more than $1.5 million per year.
I thought the problem was we need a good goalie for a cup run. Let’s focus on that.

I’m not worried about the Cap situation of two back ups. If they want too much they’re both replaceable.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I thought the problem was we need a good goalie for a cup run. Let’s focus on that.

I’m not worried about the Cap situation of two back ups. Not spending money on goalies is how we ended up here anyways.

I think Fleury is the goalie the Caps need to go after. Hawks retain $3.5 million max of his contract and we give Sammy + another contract to make the money work. Yes, I'm giving up on Sammy working out with the Caps.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think Fleury is the goalie the Caps need to go after. Hawks retain $3.5 million max of his contract and we give Sammy + another contract to make the money work. Yes, I'm giving up on Sammy working out with the Caps.
It would make Pens fans furious… I’m in!

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Zegras ripped it top corner. Vitek dropped down in the butterfly. Wrong goalie technique made that shot look better than it was
Take a look where that shot is taken from - you basically have to go down on a shot from that range, because most times you humanely don’t have enough time to go down after a shot is taken from there and you process where it’s going. If the range is too close for him to get his arm up for the reflex, it’s also too close to go down to stop it going five hole. Staying up on a shot like that would be entirely guess work, which is fine, but you’re generally giving yourself better odds playing it like he did. I’m betting his goalie coach has zero issues with him going down on that shot.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Agreed that Vanacek is more of a backup than a starter. But I just don’t get why you guys are so mad at him, he’s playing to his capabilities and is reliable. It’s like getting mad at TVR for not being a top pairing guy.
Agreed. Frustration should be pointed at management for putting him in the position to have to be the starter.

Reactions: um

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Agreed. Frustration should be pointed at management for putting him in the position to have to be the starter.
I mean, why is it management’s fault? They did the right thing with Holtby and let the declining vet go in favor of their highly touted prospect. They tried to give Sammy some veteran help last year with Lundqvist and it was unfortunate his heart ruined those plans. Samsonov was widely considered one of if not the best goalie prospects not in the NHL until he arrived. Is it their fault he doesn’t get it?

I think BMac will make a move in net if he feels it’s necessary.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Also, waking up to one point was a pleasant surprise. They had every excuse to pack it in after Lars’ absence and a rough first five minutes.

Pilon got his first huh? The kids are alright.

And potential Olympian No Skill Willy continues to be elite.

Reactions: swansonsays

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Wasn’t staying up past the first period. Glad to see Pilon get his first. He deserves it for all the hard work he’s put in down in Hershey. Now we need AJF and Protas to pot one

Reactions: crab

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Gibson is one if not the best goalie out there. Not many teams have this kind of goaltending. It's unrealistic to expect such goaltending from VV.
It isn't unrealistic. Get a better goalie. It's not just Gibson that outplayed Vanecek. It happens most games.
Why are you satisfied with below average goaltending?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Goaltending is what it is, let in a couple softies but it was only 2. We should be able to score 3 and win. We didn’t do that. Kinda stinks, but happens when you’re missing 5 regulars vs a good squad.

goaltending is good enough to win most nights.

tomorrow will be tough on a back to back vs a rested team. Then they get a couple days off before San Jose. Hopefully that helps end the trip on a good note
Why are you guys satisfied with mediocre goaltending? None of the goals given up were good goals.
Most nights it's good enough because we are a high scoring team. But what happens when you are up against a very good defensive team or a good goalie. Should we just concede the game. You make it sound as if the team should score 4 or more goals per game. There comes a time when you need to win some low scoring games.
Things tighten up in the playoffs. You will not be successful in the playoffs with this kind of goaltending.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I mean, why is it management’s fault? They did the right thing with Holtby and let the declining vet go in favor of their highly touted prospect. They tried to give Sammy some veteran help last year with Lundqvist and it was unfortunate his heart ruined those plans. Samsonov was widely considered one of if not the best goalie prospects not in the NHL until he arrived. Is it their fault he doesn’t get it?

I think BMac will make a move in net if he feels it’s necessary.
They have had the opportunity to adjust after last season and they chose not too. And...I question the goalie coach selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad