News Article: Daryl Sydor arrested for drunken driving.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Not sure how I feel about this. On the other hand, driving around drunk with your kid in the car is really bad, but hopefully this is a wakeup call for him.

If he drives drunk ever again, he should be fired.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Not sure how I feel about this. On the other hand, driving around drunk with your kid in the car is really bad, but hopefully this is a wakeup call for him.

If he drives drunk ever again, he should be fired.

If he gets caught driving drunk again he should be in jail not just fired. Still shocked he made it back.....

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If he gets caught driving drunk again he should be in jail not just fired. Still shocked he made it back.....

This isn't the first time he's had trouble with alcoholism. They should have buried him in the organization somewhere - probably Iowa.

It's funny, players get in trouble with alcoholism or drugs and they get bought out or traded or cut or whatever. Coaches get in trouble, oh it's not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
This isn't the first time he's had trouble with alcoholism. They should have buried him in the organization somewhere - probably Iowa.

It's funny, players get in trouble with alcoholism or drugs and they get bought out or traded or cut or whatever. Coaches get in trouble, oh it's not a big deal.

Well there are a lot of players who battle addiction who don't get bought out or traded or cut or whatever. No they get help and support from their teammates and organisations and friends and families and the league.

It really is hard for me to fathom how people cry for actions that clearly won't solve any problems nor will they help anybody involved in any way. It's like that poor stupid soul just needs to get punished and only that will make it right.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn

He didn't serve any jail time? I'm not defending him and haven't really looked too far into the situation but everyone I know that has been arrested for a d dub always served some sort of jail time.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
He didn't serve any jail time? I'm not defending him and haven't really looked too far into the situation but everyone I know that has been arrested for a d dub always served some sort of jail time.

no, he went to rehab, might have some community service.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

He served some time in jail, I think 15 days of a 90 day sentence, which actually isn't standard for a first offense.

Most first offense DUI's aren't given jail time. They generally get suspended sentences (where if they don't mess up again, they serve no time), get their license suspended and attend classes.

The penalties for DUI are setup so one doesn't ruin your life, anyone can make a mistake. But the penalties escalate quickly, and 2nd and 3rd DUI penalties are much harsher.

Sydor probably got jail time for having the kid in the car, his high BAC or both.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
He served some time in jail, I think 15 days of a 90 day sentence, which actually isn't standard for a first offense.

Most first offense DUI's aren't given jail time. They generally get suspended sentences (where if they don't mess up again, they serve no time), get their license suspended and attend classes.

The penalties for DUI are setup so one doesn't ruin your life, anyone can make a mistake. But the penalties escalate quickly, and 2nd and 3rd DUI penalties are much harsher.

Sydor probably got jail time for having the kid in the car, his high BAC or both.

Yeah, I remember Ron Rosenbaum saying that DUIs have aggravating factors to make them more severe. Sydor had two aggravating factors, BAC above .16, and the kid in the car.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
(Wild discussion)
We heard so much from Yeo about how important he is. Better see some big time improvements from the defense with him back at practice. Otherwise I'm not sure why they would keep him employed other than nepotism. I'd still like to see what Oates could be doing with this team, especially getting some of the skill forwards going.

(Human discussion)
I liked hearing him talk about the difference between sobriety and recovery. At least in terms of what he is saying, it sounds like he knows he can't do it alone and needs support as well as actively working to stay sober. Obviously time and actions will tell, and he's got a real uphill battle with a strong addiction. I just hope either he figures out how to balance his job with his health or takes a cue from Kill and steps down if that's what is best for him long term.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I think the USA needs to adopt the German DUI stance. One and done. You get your license revoked and you get a scooter to drive to work. There is no remorse, no leeway. One and done. But we would probably need to lower the drinking age, which won't happen.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think the USA needs to adopt the German DUI stance. One and done. You get your license revoked and you get a scooter to drive to work. There is no remorse, no leeway. One and done. But we would probably need to lower the drinking age, which won't happen.

Yeah. The stance on drinking in europe seems much more relaxed and lets kids learn how to do it responsibly before they get their license.

Here, we have the "you can't do that" effect which works to glamorize drinking because it's something that they're not allowed to do, and rebelling is something a lot of teens simply do. You take the "you cant do that" out of the equation and suddenly it looks like something a lot more mundane.

Also would help if we'd outlaw booze commercials on TV like we did cigarettes. Smoking mostly just kills the smoker. Drinking often leads to killing other people.

But lets face it. None of that is gonna fly because of the influence certain forces have had in shaping alcohol policy in this country. It's both heavily promoted and railed against when really it should be treated like another fact of life which would lead to logical thinking on the subject. 21 is too ****ing old for a lot of people to learn to do something like that responsibly. Let em start drinking a lot earlier, particularly if they're at home with their parents, and suddenly you might have people who actually know how to drink a lot more responsibly by the time they get their license.

And THEN we can move to a one-and-done system.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah. The stance on drinking in europe seems much more relaxed and lets kids learn how to do it responsibly before they get their license.

Here, we have the "you can't do that" effect which works to glamorize drinking because it's something that they're not allowed to do, and rebelling is something a lot of teens simply do. You take the "you cant do that" out of the equation and suddenly it looks like something a lot more mundane.

Also would help if we'd outlaw booze commercials on TV like we did cigarettes. Smoking mostly just kills the smoker. Drinking often leads to killing other people.

But lets face it. None of that is gonna fly because of the influence certain forces have had in shaping alcohol policy in this country. It's both heavily promoted and railed against when really it should be treated like another fact of life which would lead to logical thinking on the subject. 21 is too ****ing old for a lot of people to learn to do something like that responsibly. Let em start drinking a lot earlier, particularly if they're at home with their parents, and suddenly you might have people who actually know how to drink a lot more responsibly by the time they get their license.

It just baffles me when I see reports that say so-and-so has had 14 DUIs. I mean, at some point something drastic needs to be done.

Double

Feb 14, 2008
Agreed. It's a bad decision for the team and for him. He's in recovery and needs to stay away from certain things until he gets a handle on his own behavior and illness.

So what is the current schedule for Sydor? How much is he coaching, is he travelling with the team, etc? What's the situation?

Double

Feb 14, 2008
Agreed. It's a bad decision for the team and for him. He's in recovery and needs to stay away from certain things until he gets a handle on his own behavior and illness.

If you don't know what the exact plan is, isn't the above post a bit of a rush to judgement?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

I lived in Germany for 2 years, trust me when I say they have a different approach to drinking all together over there. When talking to older folks with kids they said how amazed they were how the US handled alcohol because we look at it as so taboo and restrict it so much that when people finally get a hold of it, they just go crazy. How many of us went to parties when we were 19-20 where you always knew someone was going to get out of hand with it? Why? Most I saw back in MN were on their own for the first time and mom and dad weren't judging them with the copious amount of booze they were drinking in a given night. It becomes a "party only" factor as opposed to something drank at dinner or for relaxation as I saw in Germany. Were kids still out partying? Yes! But at 19-20 they were already exposed to what alcohol is and how to drink it responsibly. That is why they don't given out second chances...and the fact it already cost so damn much to get their DL over there, it is no wonder many won't risk it.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Driving in Europe is completely different than driving in the US, which is why I feel we have more lenient DUI laws. You actually need to drive places here and you need a car to do it, not having a car or a license in Europe isn't as big of a deal. Things are a lot closer to each other in Europe and, as previously mentioned, they have very good public transportation. Also, completely different drinking culture. Believe they can start drinking beer at 16 and hard alcohol at 18.

Regardless, driving drunk is idiotic.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Driving in Europe is completely different than driving in the US, which is why I feel we have more lenient DUI laws. You actually need to drive places here and you need a car to do it, not having a car or a license in Europe isn't as big of a deal. Things are a lot closer to each other in Europe and, as previously mentioned, they have very good public transportation. Also, completely different drinking culture. Believe they can start drinking beer at 16 and hard alcohol at 18.

Regardless, driving drunk is idiotic.

Depends on where you are in Europe. In Germany at least, it's 16 for beer and alcohol at 18. In Finland, it's 18 and 20. Driver's license can be acquired at 18 over here. It's temporary at first, and you have to complete two other stages before you can have a "permanent" (15 year) driving license.

It's complicated, even needlessly so. It's also ridiculously expensive, I believe nearing 2000e total these days. It's also why I don't have a driver's license, nor a car. I used to have both, but... it's not really necessary.

And yes, driving drunk is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Irresponsible and endangering yourself as well as others. I just hope Sydor is able to complete the program and fight through the hard times to get rid of his illness.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
anyone listen to the podcast a bit ago with Craig Leipold on? Accidental bad sounding remark with what Sydor has been battling. Was clearly an accident and I'm glad nobody freaked out and purposely took it the wrong way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad