Darryl Sutter Appreciation Thread

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Saw this qoute and it reminded me how awesome he is.

Kopitar's cut after game 2 vs Sharks-

“Oh, he finally got some stitches in his lips,†Darryl Sutter said. “There goes the modeling career. Best looking Slovenian athlete.â€

Win (thanks for the cup DS) or lose he is my all time favorite Kings coach. Love his approach to the game.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He does things we don't understand and they usually work. The guy is the best coach the team has ever had. In 10-15 years or so when we look back at what this team is doing now, the guy will be a legendary figure amongst all of us.

His quotes are great too.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
He does things we don't understand and they usually work. The guy is the best coach the team has ever had. In 10-15 years or so when we look back at what this team is doing now, the guy will be a legendary figure amongst all of us.

He also speaks in ways where it is hard to understand him and need a sutter translator...

Its kind of funny though, that when he was hired, many people thought he was a carbon copy of our old coach and were like "why did we hire him", yet last year he proved us wrong

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Was just thinking that this is kinda like what the Blackhawks did when they had Savard as their head coach. They had a guy, who like Murray, was a friendly, soft spoken coach in Savard. They canned him and brought in a hard nosed, take no crap attitude coach in Quennville, like Sutter. I'm thinking that turned out pretty good for them. Not saying it's going to produce the same results, but the situation is quite similar.

Thank you very much.:)

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles

He is a much better bench coach and line manager than we have seen in a long time. His shift to seven defensemen in games three and four against St. Louis were huge in disrupting the Blues' momentum. Also, he did a great job putting together productive combinations last night. He shortened his bench late in the third and got guys out there who were hungry for the puck. This was especially eveident when he went with Penner-Kopitar-Toffoli after that TV timeout with about 3:00 to play. That was a great call, and that shift drew the penalty which made the comeback.

Ron*

Vic the Brick: "Coach, when Kopi left his blood on the ice, did that inspire the club a little bit?"

Sutter: "Not really, they scored, made it 3-2, when he was in getting leather worked on."

Vic the Brick: "But when he came back, there seemed to be a lift."

Sutter: "Well, he's fresh."

Sutter is just ****ing classic. :laugh:

Ron*

I like also how he admonishes some of the reporters, implying that they should have learned the game by now.

:)

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
These guys knew what they were talking about. He truly is a phenomenal coach. I wonder if Sutter called Williams a 'princess' last night :laugh:

Reinhart said:
From an outsider's view looking in, and one that is pretty familiar with Darryl Sutter... I think it is a great move.

Darryl's biggest flaw is that he is absolutely HORRID with the media. They ate him alive in Calgary (and he doesn't hide the fact that he hates media). The continually ridiculed him.

His body of work really speaks for itself - he turned the Calgary Flames around. Sure, there was that 72 hour 'craziness' of trades, but that was from a GM perspective (and he had been exceptionally solid until that point).

Darryl as a coach - he will make all the players accountable. Just look at what he did with the Flames in the early 2000's. Years of bad coaching, poor player development, poor drafting... there was nothing to cheer about on the Flames except Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr. They didn't play as a unit. They didn't play a decent 'system'. Most importantly, they didn't play HARD.

Sutter came in, and changed the culture of the Flames. He FORCED everyone to buy in. You didn't buy in, you didn't play. Heck - he benched Jarome during some games. I remember Conroy laughing about it as they were talking about Darryl. Something along the lines of "Don't you two princesses worry about going back out there and chipping a nail. You guys are done for the night."

Seems like to me, LA is a very good team, and probably needs a 'tough as nails' coach. The players tuned out TM, sure.. but there are 2 reasons they can't tune out Darryl:

1) Just try. Really. He WILL force them to remain responsible.
2) LA just did a coaching change. Players know the next step is trades. You don't replace a coach twice in the same year.

As for Darryl stifling offence - I wouldn't worry about it. Darryl has a huge eye for talent. He puts players in positions to succeed. He pushes players. He makes players accountable to one another. He WILL make LA a team that is difficult to play against, and that will generate some additional offence. He doesn't play the trap. He demands work ethic. If you are lazy, you simply don't play. It is that simple with Darryl.

I am really happy to hear Darryl is in LA. Always thought he was a phenomenal coach. Expect him to have 'run-ins' with the media during the rough patches - he simply is just so poorly spoken. People will call him stuff like "Stupid farmer", "idiot", etc., but he is actually quite intelligent.

I really can't think of a better fit for LA right now. Sure, he is 'recycled' and 'old-school', but he is one of those coaches that should never have stopped coaching to begin with.

I am sure the first couple of weeks will still be 'rough' for LA, but in a month, I bet you are going to see a much, much better LA Kings skating hard every shift.

Flameshomer said:
Flames fan coming in peace.
I think you guys honestly got a steal if it's true. He sucked as a GM but there's a damn good reason he was trusted for so long in Calgary. His coaching ability is off the charts. He gets a huge effort out of his players. He's most known for that mean tough defensive style sure, but if you look at his past teams, he's had nowhere close to the talent he would have to work with in LA. I think you would see a crazy mesh of system and talent, and it would make you guys much much harder to play.
I long for the days when Calgary's forecheck was unbeatable, when every player was crushing people behind the net, when teams couldn't get the puck out of their own damn zone because we were all over them. That was Daryl Sutter's in your face smash mouth brand of Hockey. If true I think we'll see a pick up season in LA.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Our version of Phil Jackson. He's some kind of hockey mystic that speaks in riddles and somehow it all makes so much sense....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00