Player Discussion: Darren Raddysh

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
After a rather underwhelming debut Raddysh has become a solid option. Almost 21 minutes of TOI last night against the Canes, +2.

Unless we go 7D one of Bogo, Perbix and him will have to sit once the playoffs start…

Reactions: Peacefool

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I have concerns about how he'll hold up physically in the playoffs, but I have similar concerns about Perbix. Having the option to switch those two in for each other is good for sustainability over a long playoff run.

Other than that, I like him. Good puck mover, good skater, looks to join the rush a lot. I think it's only a matter of time before he starts generating some offense. He's been caught out of position several times on goals against, I hope that's just a consequence of growing pains and gaining chemistry with Serg. Overall, he's handled the transition from the AHL much better than I expected he would.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
IMO his TOI is a reflection of how desperate this team has needed offensive pressure generated from the RD position. His defensive shortcomings are easily overcome, same situation as when Shattenkirk was here

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
IMO his TOI is a reflection of how desperate this team has needed offensive pressure generated from the RD position. His defensive shortcomings are easily overcome, same situation as when Shattenkirk was here

Yeah we just need to play him with Ryan Mc.... oh wait.

We'll see how Sergachev performs this year off the bat, every 1st round in the last 4 years has been rough for him.

Reactions: Rschmitz

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007

We'll see how Sergachev performs this year off the bat, every 1st round in the last 4 years has been rough for him.
i mean, i get what you're saying, but its sorta disingenuous to say a guy has struggled the past four years, when he's only 24 years old.

8 years ago he was so terrible he didnt even belong in the league!

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021

You really remember how well Serge played in the first round the last 4 years? If so, I tip my hat to you.

i mean, i get what you're saying, but its sorta disingenuous to say a guy has struggled the past four years, when he's only 24 years old.

Normally I'd agree but he's grown up in the playoffs. Last year he already had 70+ playoff games.

Reactions: Renopucker

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Raddysh is slowly getting into his form, which is good to see, but we need to temper any huge expectations. Hopefully the playoffs a huge eye opener for him, because some of the cute stuff he's pulling won't fly during crunch time.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

We've been saying "He's only this old" for years and years. Fast forward to next year, we're gonna say the same thing and home boy is gonna be 26 in less than 3 months by that time.

He's been horribly inconsistent regardless of whatever his age has been at the time

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
We've been saying "He's only this old" for years and years. Fast forward to next year, we're gonna say the same thing and home boy is gonna be 26 in less than 3 months by that time.

He's been horribly inconsistent regardless of whatever his age has been at the time
This year, he’s been our best by a very large margin, and is even trusted with shuttling Raddysh around.

And inconsistencies in young defenseman is kinda, like, the thing…that they do. It’s like saying this water is too wet.

• Haha
Reactions: Meuracas

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
My only request for Serge is stop with the horrific turnovers with the puck in our zone. I'm not talking the under-pressure, shoot it up the boards to their point man play. I'm talking he's behind our net, taking his time, and passes it right to an opposing forward that leads to a scoring chance type blunder. He's the best at that on the team as well. Aside from that, I think he's improved a lot this year.

Reactions: Meuracas

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I like and hate at the same time how Raddysh joins the rush and ends up behind the opposing net. So far he couldn’t convert on some big chances but boy does he make me nervous lol.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This year, he’s been our best by a very large margin, and is even trusted with shuttling Raddysh around.

And inconsistencies in young defenseman is kinda, like, the thing…that they do. It’s like saying this water is too wet.
Even Hedman got the hang of it by 22 and Cernak roughly about the same age. Both have been so bad being better than them is like saying you're the skinniest thicc boii of a 500lb person contest. It's not that Serg hasn't had his bright moments there and here independent of their play. It's a lot like Brett Favre was. You KNEW the guy was gonna do some sort of extraordinary shit to make up for whatever bone headed thing you KNEW he was gonna do.

It has nothing to do with his age. Sergachev's biggest problem is that he hasn't figured out how to be productive while simplifying his game. He assumes a lot of risk and doesn't always cash in. When he does, he's a genius. It's how a guy makes the same mistakes after 6 years. If he's gonna try to be Dan Boyle, we can't be crossing our fingers on any given power play praying he doesn't f*** up a pinch and suddenly it's a shorthanded breakaway for a goal -AGAIN.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Even Hedman got the hang of it by 22 and Cernak roughly about the same age. Both have been so bad being better than them is like saying you're the skinniest thicc boii of a 500lb person contest. It's not that Serg hasn't had his bright moments there and here independent of their play. It's a lot like Brett Favre was. You KNEW the guy was gonna do some sort of extraordinary shit to make up for whatever bone headed thing you KNEW he was gonna do.

It has nothing to do with his age. Sergachev's biggest problem is that he hasn't figured out how to be productive while simplifying his game. He assumes a lot of risk and doesn't always cash in. When he does, he's a genius. It's how a guy makes the same mistakes after 6 years. If he's gonna try to be Dan Boyle, we can't be crossing our fingers on any given power play praying he doesn't f*** up a pinch and suddenly it's a shorthanded breakaway for a goal -AGAIN.
This is weird. Are you talking about currently? Cause that’s some wrong ass shit. Lmao. Serge is the most dependable this year, and the best defenseman we have by far, as I said.

If you’re talking about the past; then you’re just penalizing him for his potential, and that also seems dumb.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This is weird. Are you talking about currently? Cause that’s some wrong ass shit. Lmao. Serge is the most dependable this year, and the best defenseman we have by far, as I said.

If you’re talking about the past; then you’re just penalizing him for his potential, and that also seems dumb.

I didn't say he doesn't do anything right, I said he assumes high levels of risk and gets burned for it. It's literally a fact about his game. You're the one who always drags his age into it. He's been given exponentially more responsibility in the lineup and it's polarized his success and mistakes. If anyone's penalized his potential it's the coaching staff for not moving him to PP1 sooner or he'd have otherwise probably be at about 30ish points like usual. His age has nothing to do with this. His paycheck however might....

The absolute pinnacle of Sergachev's career came vs the NYR last year and he was everything we ever prayed for because he simplified. He was almost as good at controlling a game as Hedman can be. I'm pointing out that he hasn't figured out how to play at a 60 point clip while being as good as he was vs NYR.

If I'm wrong then you're just booty juice. Nanny nanny boo boo

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
My issue with Serge is the carlessness, he takes more unnecessary risks than the rest of the d corp combined. It’s not the low percentage plays that generate offense that bother me either, it’s the plays that he has zero incentive to make over a safe play but does it anyways.

Reactions: OffBy1

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I hope that if we dont get extra D at the offseason,we give him chance to become regular D. Skates good,sees game,tries in offence. Yes he make mistakes bad mistakes,but he is very new to the league,if he olays regular seasson i think he can become Ruuta vol.2 with offwnse

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Raddysh has shown marked improvement in most phases, IMO. Lets see if the progress continues. Lord knows, this team needs a solid 5-6-7.

Reactions: Stammertime91

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Sometimes it’s easy to forget that Raddysh only has 61 GP in the nhl. I think that’s a compliment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad