Darren McCarty - does he get the respect he deserves?

Moatorious

Dec 16, 2008
He was a good player, but respect comes just as much from his life off the ice as it did on the ice.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
he certainly had some semblance of skill

if he were to start his career now, rather than the 90s. he probably wouldn't have to fight as much.

So who do you think is a modern equivalent to D Mac in his prime, without the fighting element but still play with a mean streak

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Chris Neil maybe is a good one, he reminds me of DMac. Darren had quite a bit of talent and was rugged. Neil doesn't have to fight he chooses to, think he isn't as good as McCarty offensively, but is more physical. Both were/are tenacious competitors that would lie down in traffic for a teammate. Leave them alone and you find out they have some talent as well.

crashman

If anything, Mac is overrated.Guy was probably loved more than lidstrom in the late 90s early 00s.
And he earned the love he got.

The most underappreciated guy in the Red Wings from 98 to 07 was Maltby.

Word.

Honorable mention to Holmstom.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
I think Dmac had potential as a media personality in the hockey world if he could have cleaned up. Guy loves the limelight. He's not shy about a camera. And he has a likable personality.
But he's not doing himself any favors.

I think a lot of people would take a loaded Dmac over a sober Roenick

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
McCarty was probably the second or so most popular guy on the team when he played (after Yzerman)...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Respect he deserves? He is the most overrated sports figure in the history of Detroit other than Brandon Inge. We're talking about a recovering alcoholic who thought it was a good idea to hang out in bars in the offseason playing rock star instead of training.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
McCarty gets just a tad too much love. That's largely because he has two of the most iconic Red Wings moments to his credit.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
McCarty gets just a tad too much love. That's largely because he has two of the most iconic Red Wings moments to his credit.

There is no such thing as too much love from the home crowd. Especially when it concerns a player who played his ass off while he was here, and did his part to help contribute towards 4 Stanley Cups. Those iconic goals should make him stand out in Red Wings fans' heads.

RedWingsNow*

Respect he deserves? He is the most overrated sports figure in the history of Detroit other than Brandon Inge. We're talking about a recovering alcoholic who thought it was a good idea to hang out in bars in the offseason playing rock star instead of training.

I forget which year it was -- but I remember reading a huge story in the Freep Press about McCarty's battle with alcohol, and then a week later, I saw him with his band at the Blind Pig, and he was just hammered.
I honestly don't think McCarty "played his ass off" for the Wings. I think he was a middleweight fighter who'd fight just about anyone and that he had a really nice shot. But he was always a rough skater and it just kept getting worse and worse his entire career. I don't remember him being all that physical - at least not as physical as Maltby

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hard to beat his entertainment per dollar value. Hockey is, like all sports, a glorified reality show contest. He captured the crowd.

Are you not entertained?!

RedWingsNow*

Hard to beat his entertainment per dollar value. Hockey is, like all sports, a glorified reality show contest. He captured the crowd.

Are you not entertained?!

McCarty was a valuable asset to the Red Wings as a hockey player until about 1999. Then he decided he was more local celebrity than hockey player.
End of the day, I didn't appreciate McCarty's antics for entertainment value as much as I did for the emotional lifts he gave the team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You should have just posted this.

thumbs-down-gif.jpg

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I appreciate he took out some colorado players but will always remember him for short handed goals and hitting the boards hard with maltby but he is not a jersey retire type in any case. He was solid grinder line player whom could fight and was awesome at short hand situations.

Kicking lemieux butt lol was highlight of highlights seeing him bleeding being kneed in head was great by mccarty he trounced him lol was one of greatest things ever.
He only had four good seasons though honestly.

Maltby had ZERO. Draper had zero if you go by scoring.

Yet they were a fun line to watch and dangerous shorthanded for sure.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

i disagree. mccarty was one of the most popular players on the team, and is still popular.

agree

maltby was almost always overlooked, but was a very good defensive F and grinder.

Those 3 goals and a huge goal in game 6. That was 1st what comes to my mind.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'll never forget the goal to clinch the Cup against the Flyers, other than the players on the roster that's about the only thing I can still remember from that series.

I was 6 years old at time and just became a Wings fan a few months prior. That goal/series clinched my fandom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad