Darren Kramer

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
With all of the emphasis on fighting in hockey recently (and to a greater extent, concussions), TSN's Dave Naylor profiles the most prolific fighter in all of hockey, Darren Kramer.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377999

The interview and story are both tastefully done (videos can be found on the same page), and for someone who follows the Spokane Chiefs and the Western Hockey League very closely, this is a very interesting series.

As a talent evaluator myself, I can say that I've seen what Darren Kramer has to bring to the table, and it is certainly more than just fists. At the start of last season, the Spokane Chiefs were picked to finish at or near the bottom of the league. Four games in, the team was 1-3 and had been scored on a whopping 19 times in those four games. After the addition of Darren Kramer, the team quickly turned around and finished with one of the best seasons in franchise history, marching all the way to the Western Conference Finals before bowing out to the Portland Winterhawks in 6 games.

It would be unfair to say that Darren Kramer is the only reason for the team's success, but it would also be unfair to ignore the fact that Kramer was one of the team's alternate captains by the end of the year. Kramer certainly brings high octane energy to the table, and clearly does anything and everything that he can to be a leader and solid teammate. This season, Kramer has been named captain of the Chiefs in only his second year in the league, and through the first five games of the season, already has scored five goals.

The last thing that I want to do is have this be a pro/anti fighting argument. This topic is specifically created to discuss Darren Kramer and the prospect of him playing in the NHL for the Ottawa Senators.

Discuss!

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
I've was impressed with Kramer in the game I saw a week ago when Spokane was in Kamloops. Kind of an awkward skater, but has good puck sense around the net and is tough along the boards. Almost a Ryan Smyth type clone. The fact that he fights as much as he does is just another feather in his cap but I could see why his teams would want to curb that because he is so important to his team. Great leadership qualities and full value of the "C" on his chest.

Looks like Ottawa found themselves another hidden gem in the 6th round.

Last edited:

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
I have watch him so many times. The guy is a natural born leader and will do anything to help the team. He has proven that he can score goals also. The only thing he needs to work on is his skating.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
His skating is definitely the main area he needs to focus on improving. You'll notice that he does get from A to B, but he seems to struggle at times with foot speed, and it won't be as easy to get to those spots at the next level. He definitely has a nose for the net and the hands to finish when he gets there, though. I thought his playoff performance last year was just a sign of things to come, and so far he's not only lived up to those expectations, but even exceeded them.

It will be interesting to see if he can continue to score at a rapid pace for the Chiefs this year, it will be an integral part of their success.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Not to rain on the parade, but this kid is going to be 20 in about a month. So his draft eligible year was 2010, and he was drafted in 2011.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Ottawa does have a solid recent history of late round guys that were eligible in previous years. Zack Smith, Mike Hoffman, Krammer and a few others. My comments was just to fill in a bit of detail that people likely did not know.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Ottawa does have a solid recent history of late round guys that were eligible in previous years. Zack Smith, Mike Hoffman, Krammer and a few others. My comments was just to fill in a bit of detail that people likely did not know.

Zack Smith is a guy that is likely making a career because he got the help he needed with his skating. Mark Stone always mentions that Ottawa is giving me what I need to make it, he's generally talking about the power skating coach.

I always assumed every team, or most at least, have a power skating coach...is that true??????

The reason why I ask is that I was listening to the sports radio here in town and the guys were talking to our Dir. Player Personnel about our power skating coach, Marc Power. They were saying that it's such a luxury Ottawa has that one of the most renowned skating instructors in the world resides in Ottawa and is excessible to the team...which made it sound like it may be pretty unique in the NHL.

The take home story on Kramer to me is he was willing to fight 3 times in any given weekend to get noticed by NHL teams. Endless power skating sessions will seem like a cake walk. Tim Murray said he wasn't getting drafted without the fighting, but they don't want him to fight as much anymore...they drafted this guy because of his determination.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Not to rain on the parade, but this kid is going to be 20 in about a month. So his draft eligible year was 2010, and he was drafted in 2011.

People who visit HF Boards likely know that he was drafted a year after his eligibility. I'm not sure I fully understand your intent in pointing this out?

As was already mentioned, Kramer had little exposure and was playing AAA hockey when the Chiefs came calling. At the same time, it's noted that there were several other WHL teams looking to add his services, however he chose the Chiefs because he felt he could make the biggest difference here.

With one WHL season under his belt, I think it's an impressive feat that he earned enough exposure to get himself drafted. While I understand that this is likely a product more of his fighting than anything else, I also think that Ottawa draft pick Jared Cowen, and former Binghampton Senators coach Don Nachbaur, may have had something to do with getting his name out there.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
I hope he does well and it was cool seeing Peace River on TSN, but I will never forget the time at a local party where he came back after playing in the AJHL, when some kid beaked him and he was all like "I'm the enforcer for the Grande Prairie Storm, I'll **** you up!" and then proceeded to kick the kid in the shins and lose the fight to some random scrand.

Defensive Forward

Aug 5, 2010
Ontario
I really didn't know anything about him before this story, but I hope he makes it. He seems like a guy who can articulate himself clearly for interviews, which is something that you don't always see from younger guys.

That peanut butter idea is seriously genius though. I was eating peanut butter this morning and got some on my hands. :laugh:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I find it hilarious that the Seinfeld reference doesn't end with his name

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568061

Kramerica Industries!

Please make the NHL so I can get a Kramer jersey.

What's funnier?

His former (and maybe future - fellow Ottawa draft pick) teammate Jared Cowen, who looks a lot like Jerry Seinfeld...

090702_cowen2.jpg
Jerryseinfeld.jpg

4thliner*

Chris Neil was also a Sens 6th round pick and look @ him, he will be a guy that will have played 15+ years in the NHL.

Mark Stone is another and now Kramer.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
People who visit HF Boards likely know that he was drafted a year after his eligibility. I'm not sure I fully understand your intent in pointing this out?

As was already mentioned, Kramer had little exposure and was playing AAA hockey when the Chiefs came calling. At the same time, it's noted that there were several other WHL teams looking to add his services, however he chose the Chiefs because he felt he could make the biggest difference here.

With one WHL season under his belt, I think it's an impressive feat that he earned enough exposure to get himself drafted. While I understand that this is likely a product more of his fighting than anything else, I also think that Ottawa draft pick Jared Cowen, and former Binghampton Senators coach Don Nachbaur, may have had something to do with getting his name out there.

I follow the Sens pretty closely, and I wasn't sure, so I assume that the majority of people wouldn't know this fact. I could be wrong.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I hope he does well and it was cool seeing Peace River on TSN, but I will never forget the time at a local party where he came back after playing in the AJHL, when some kid beaked him and he was all like "I'm the enforcer for the Grande Prairie Storm, I'll **** you up!" and then proceeded to kick the kid in the shins and lose the fight to some random scrand.

I would believe that. Through all the experience I have fighting on ice, it doesn't help off the ice at all haha. It's like I forget I have feet, so I am a pretty bad boxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad