Confirmed with Link: Darren Helm re-signed 5 years 3.85m/year

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Really? Great. The Wings should hire who and than miss the playoffs just like the Bruins... While I don't like all of Hollands moves he is still one of the best. Plenty of time left to see what he does if he does anything else today.

What has Holland done in the last 5 years to indicate he is still one of the best?

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I am very confused right about now. I don't understand the rationale behind this contract.

The only thing I can think of is that they wanted Helm and Miller back to shore up and stabilize the bottom 6 because of the changes they are making in the top half of the forwards with Radulov and/or Nielsen (allegedly).

They have to be thinking Sheahan-Glendening-Helm on the third line with AA and Miller on the 4th along with whomever wins that roster battle. Then a top 6 of Z, Larkin, Abdelkader, Tatar, Nyquist, and then 1 UFA. If it's 2 UFAs then a bunch of forwards get knocked down one spot with Glendening on the 4th line with Miller and AA.

I honestly can't come up with another sequence of decisions.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
twitch-failfish-emote-png.2536

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Really? Great. The Wings should hire who and than miss the playoffs just like the Bruins... While I don't like all of Hollands moves he is still one of the best. Plenty of time left to see what he does if he does anything else today.

The bruins are just as good/bad as us

We.dont get to.look down our noses at them, we dont have that right..

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Forget the amount of money...it's once again WAY too much term. 3 years should be the max contract we're handing out for anyone that will not be part of the core or help the team moving forward. Oh wait...Helm IS the core.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What has Holland done in the last 5 years to indicate he should be our GM?

Well he tells it like it is.

"I think if you expect Cups, you're in the wrong league."

At least we won't have any silly hopes of doing anything substantial for the next decade or so. :sarcasm:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And so it begins...

Somebody please take the keys away from Grandpa Kenny. He's already run over a few curbs and hit a mailbox, and now he's accelerating towards a pedestrian zone.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
**** like this is why Stamkos didn't take our presentation, Kenny. I really like Helm as a player. He does a lot of things that don't necessarily fill in a score sheet.

But almost 4M for him, regardless of term, is too much. If the cap continued to rise like the NBA and NFL caps are? Sure. 4M would be a fine amount. With a 120M cap, this would be a drop in the bucket. Hell, if it were even a 100M cap, it would be 4% of the cap. But we are hovering around 69-74M and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

You have over 10% of your cap locked into Abby and Helm. That is ridiculous.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I really like Helm more than most and think he plays a winning brand of hockey, the type of player than can be essential to any cup winning team...

I agree with all the things Holland is going to say about him.

But come on, you can't give every single player like this a deal like this. Holland really is becoming the charicature all the haters portray him as

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007
Jesus this is terrible. Same old Holland.

There went any faith I had that we may actually be going in a different direction.

This management has gone to hell since Scotty stopped advising and went to Chicago with Stan. Gee imagine that, Scotty goes there, they get good and we decline. Holland is an idiot. He rides the wave that Scotty left and it's fizzling out.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Was worried that he might get a nmc and we would have to protect him. But then I remember we don't have enough quality assets to worry about losing. Silver linings!

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Jesus this is terrible. Same old Holland.

There went any faith I had that we may actually be going in a different direction.

This management has gone to hell since Scotty stopped advising and went to Chicago with Stan. Gee imagine that, Scotty goes there, they get good and we decline. Holland is an idiot. He rides the wave that Scotty left and it's fizzling out.

Mine too. Learned my lesson.

Also lost the only strongarm we had in Nill, apparently. The guy had no problems shipping off Goligoski and telling Demers and Russell to hit the bricks.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I really like Helm more than most and think he plays a winning brand of hockey, the type of player than can be essential to any cup winning team...

I agree with all the things Holland is going to say about him.

But come on, you can't give every single player like this a deal like this. Holland really is becoming the charicature all the haters portray him as
Perhaps he's not becoming a caricature and the 'haters' might of known what they were talking about all along? Nah,couldn't possibly be that...

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
but also, just to get ahead of things....

there are going to be 50 signings today. 45 of them are going to be regarded as "massive over-payments" by everyone on here, just like every year. Perhaps everyone just needs to adjust their expectations and get back to reality and see what the market is

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just wait until word gets out that Holland is outbidding NYI on the 6-7yr deal they're offering Nielsen...

:laugh: More like signing Shane Doan to a multi year deal after the Yotes couldn't get a one year deal done. Holland loves him some over the hill power forwards.

THIS IS A MENS LEAGUE. :sarcasm:

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
What has Holland done in the last 5 years to indicate he is still one of the best?

It is my opinion when you make the playoffs anything can happen. He does his job and I like that. Do I agree with everything he does, no but I am not his boss!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad