Prospect Info: Darren Dietz (Re-Called)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Is this the last year of his entry level contract?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
This is what I like about these callups.

They get real information on whether these kids can keep up with the speed of the league. Helps to make the decisions on resigning the prospects.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's going to need to improve a lot if he's going to be an NHL regular in the future. Has had a tough go of it although to be fair having Hanley hasn't helped him. We'll see how it goes for him at camp/pre-season (since I assume he's re-signed this summer).

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...he didn't look great in the last two, but he's got good fundamentals and just needs more time to get it all together...one of those guys that needs patience...not something that Therrien's known for, unfortunately...unless your name is Desharnais, of course...

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
At first, I was a real fan of Thrower but injuries really slowed him down. Dietz will just get better and better and we just need to be patient.

Overall it's a good experience for him and it will motivate him to hit the gym this summer to get bigger legs, speed etc....I think the decision making is already there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It will be interesting to see what he does next year along with Ellis who has been much better in the AHL this year then Dietz. Hopefully Dietz can build off what he's learning in the NHL cause he's being taken to school several times as he's really struggled in the NHL and in the AHL he was on the 3rd pairing once they had a full healthy D corps.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
It will be interesting to see what he does next year along with Ellis who has been much better in the AHL this year then Dietz. Hopefully Dietz can build off what he's learning in the NHL cause he's being taken to school several times as he's really struggled in the NHL and in the AHL he was on the 3rd pairing once they had a full healthy D corps.

Wasn't this year his first full year in the AHL? That and getting a call up straight to the NHL. Not bad for someone who played ECHL last year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wasn't this year his first full year in the AHL? That and getting a call up straight to the NHL. Not bad for someone who played ECHL last year.

no, last year was his first full year in the AHL but he never played in the ECHL in his career. He was hurt in his first season, only played in half the season, then last year he played a full season. Has always been in the AHL. As a 3rd year pro though I expected him to step up but he didn't really do that. But we'll see what happens next year now that he's had a taste of the NHL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Which D-Men are graduating from Juniors/NCAA/Europe next season?

I don't see any Juniors graduating.
Koberstein will remain in the NCAA and is a long shot to even be signed by the Habs, let alone be of AHL-caliber
Nygren is in Europe and probably won't come over unless he has a guaranteed NHL spot. Which he absolutely should't have unless he can play on the left side.
- Didier might get a 2-way contract offer. Or not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Which D-Men are graduating from Juniors/NCAA/Europe next season?

I don't see any Juniors graduating.
Koberstein will remain in the NCAA and is a long shot to even be signed by the Habs, let alone be of AHL-caliber
Nygren is in Europe and probably won't come over unless he has a guaranteed NHL spot. Which he absolutely should't have unless he can play on the left side.
- Didier might get a 2-way contract offer. Or not.

none.

Nygren I agree no way he ever plays in the AHL, it's NHL or SHL imo. Didier has been good, just no offensive game whatsoever. I could see them signing him, it would have to be a 2 way since it would be an ELC.

I could see them looking at NCAA/Euro/CHL FA's to sign though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
none.

Nygren I agree no way he ever plays in the AHL, it's NHL or SHL imo. Didier has been good, just no offensive game whatsoever. I could see them signing him, it would have to be a 2 way since it would be an ELC.

I could see them looking at NCAA/Euro/CHL FA's to sign though.

I also Wonder if Thrower isn't getting moved to forward.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Probably an unpopular opinion but I think Dietz should start in the NHL next season if he has a good camp.

Subban - Markov

Beaulieu - Petry

Pateryn - Dietz

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
congrats to him on his first NHL goal. Should be interesting to see what changes are made to the roster, who could be the 7th/8th D, if Dietz can beat out guys like Ellis, Bartley, Hanley, assuming they are re-signed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't put too much stock into what any of the young guys are doing now since teams are likely laughing when they see our roster, so I don't know if Dietz is an NHLer yet. In the AHL he wasn't that good considering it was his third season. He was ok, but more of a bottom pairing type on a bad team. In the NHL he's shown some good things but he's shown some terrible plays as well. Next camp will be interesting to see what happens, once we see how the roster shapes up going into camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad