Darnell Nurse vs Quinn Hughes

who you want on your team (no cap), Q Hughes or Nurse

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Its been brought to my attention that Nurse had the same amount of even strength points as Hughes last season.

Not only that but he kills penalties way better than Hughes ( i sure hope so as Hughes doesnt kill penalties)

I'm not really aware of what other fan base thinks of Nurse so I just wanted to educate myself more. Its possible I had a different impression of Nurse this whole time and I could be out to left field.

So my question is simple, who is the better Defenceman?

Nurse v Hughes

Its an interesting comparison as they play a completely different style of hockey. Hoping for a healthy debate and seeing either prespective with an open mind

Last edited:

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Obvious Bait thread

bait for what?

There's legit posters saying Nurse is a 40 point Dman with offence , snarl and kills penalties and that he is a top Dman.

I disagree but open to hearing /seeing if other posters feel that Nurse as elite as someone like Hughes.

I'm open to admitting that im alone or in the minority on my reflection on Nurse as a player if that is in fact the result of the poll

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Quinn Hughes is quite obviously the better player.

If I'm throwing a guy out with a minute left to protect the lead it's Nurse

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
bait for what?

There's legit posters saying Nurse is a 40 point Dman with offence , snarl and kills penalties and that he is a top Dman.

I disagree but open to hearing /seeing if other posters feel that Nurse as elite as someone like Hughes.

I'm open to admitting that im alone on my reflection on Nurse as a player

You have a history of trying to bait oiler fans and have openly admitted to trolling. All you're doing is making the Canucks fanbase look bad.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
You have a history of trying to bait oiler fans and have openly admitted to trolling. All you're doing is making the Canucks fanbase look bad.

again bait for what? discussion? difference of opinion?

why would my action or opinion reflect on the whole Canuck fanbase? That's a lot of pressure to be the ambasaddor of hundreds of thousands of people.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Quinn Hughes is quite obviously the better player.

If I'm throwing a guy out with a minute left to protect the lead it's Nurse

That's fair,

but why is Hughes "quite obviously" the better player?

If you are saying Nurse is better defensively and give the stat that Nurse had the same amount of even strength points as Hughes last year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Can't believe both these players were drafted #7 overall. The actual f*** were DET, ARZ , and the Habs thinking?

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Didn't even have to guess who the OP was. The self-admitted troll puts up another bait thread. Clown show.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If you wanted a healthy debate, you probably shouldn't have started a poll where the younger player is clearly better...

... Like, by a long shot.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You're going to sit there with a straight face and tell me you think Zadina, Hayton, or Kotkaniemi are going to be more valuable players than Quinn Hughes?

You're going to sit here with a straight face and tell me Zadina wasn't universally ranked higher going into the draft?

Because I can pull the rankings up in 30 seconds to disprove that claim...

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You're going to sit here with a straight face and tell me Zadina wasn't universally ranked higher going into the draft?

Because I can pull the rankings up in 30 seconds to disprove that claim...

See but we're not going into the draft are we. It's nearly 2021. Puljujarvi was rated higher than Dubois going in to 2016, Dubois was the better pick at #3.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
See but we're not going into the draft are we. It's nearly 2021. Puljujarvi was rated higher than Dubois going in to 2016, Dubois was the better pick at #3.

I appreciate the attempt to dig yourself out of the hole you've found yourself in. Unfortunately, your post is a pretty clear criticism of their decision making at the time of the draft.

Can't believe both these players were drafted #7 overall. The actual f*** were DET, ARZ , and the Habs thinking?

The past tense use of, "Were", kinda kills your attempt to save face here. Detroit picked the universally higher ranked player. Let's all move on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You're going to sit there with a straight face and tell me you think Zadina, Hayton, or Kotkaniemi are going to be more valuable players than Quinn Hughes?

Probably not, but you also can't be certain.

If you told people Leon Draisaitl would end up being the no.1 player in his draft class over Aaron Ekblad after his rookie year a lot of people would have said that's insanity circa 2015.

Player development doesn't always go how this board says is gospel.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I appreciate the attempt to dig yourself out of the hole you've found yourself in. Unfortunately, your post is a pretty clear criticism of their decision making at the time of the draft.

This was not reflective, at all.

Exactly. Where they should have taken Quinn Hughes with any and all of the #3, #5, or #6 picks in the 2018 NHL draft. Not sure what you're not getting.

Probably not, but you also can't be certain.

If you told people Leon Draisaitl would end up being the no.1 player in his draft class over Aaron Ekblad after his rookie year a lot of people would have said that's insanity circa 2015.

Player development doesn't always go how this board says is gospel.

Course it doesn't. That's why this is a internet forum just for fun and NHL teams spend millions of dollars a year on scouting alone. Both are fallible and that fallibility has gotten many an executive fired.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Exactly. Where they should have taken Quinn Hughes with any and all of the #3, #5, or #6 picks in the 2018 NHL draft. Not sure what you're not getting.

Dude, just stop.

You asked what Detroit was thinking when they drafted Zadina over Hughes. He was ranked higher universally. Just stop.

Zadina:

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #3 by ISS Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #3 by Future Considerations
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #3 by McKeen's Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #4 by TSN/McKenzie
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #3 by NHL Central Scouting

Hughes:

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #7 by ISS Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #6 by Future Considerations
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #6 by McKeen's Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #8 by TSN/McKenzie
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #6 by NHL Central Scouting

You made a ridiculous comment. It happens to all of us. Stop doubling down on your ignorance. Different players develop at different rates.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Dude, just stop.

You asked what Detroit was thinking when they drafted Zadina over Hughes. He was ranked higher universally. Just stop.

Yeah because I've seen the results. All with the power of hindsight. Which is how every NHL draft has been rated and will be rated ever.

Zadina:

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #3 by ISS Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #3 by Future Considerations
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #3 by McKeen's Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #4 by TSN/McKenzie
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #3 by NHL Central Scouting

Hughes:

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #7 by ISS Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #6 by Future Considerations
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #6 by McKeen's Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #8 by TSN/McKenzie
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #6 by NHL Central Scouting

You made a ridiculous comment. It happens to all of us. Stop doubling down on your ignorance.

It's an NHL team's job to get it right. The Red Wings got it wrong. You seem upset about it. It's OK happens to everyone. No such thing as a perfect draft record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad