Rumor: Darling is 100% returning to Carolina

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
...and every goalie better than Ward is rumored to be pretty much done and headed to someone else, waiting for the signing day.

Ward's going to Chicago. Hutton's getting the full press to sign from the Sabres. Bernier's finalizing with Detroit. Lehner's weaknesses make him risky to go full Darling...and we're not even rumored to be among the front-runners there.

Not yet being 7/1 isn't an excuse...it's going to be all over except the crying by then.

Ron Francis couldn’t fix the goaltending in 4 years and you want Waddell fired because he hasn’t fixed it in 2 months? Sheesh.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
What can Carolina do at this point?

Not many options, unfortunately. The ufa market is thin and the few options there are seem to be settling on new homes already. I think at this point they’re either rolling the dice with another unproven guy and hoping that it finally works out or they need to go and try to trade for someone like Varlamov (even then, injury concerns) or Schneider (who hasn’t been great recently either).

Reactions: sheriff bart

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Not many options, unfortunately. The ufa market is thin and the few options there are seem to be settling on new homes already. I think at this point they’re either rolling the dice with another unproven guy and hoping that it finally works out or they need to go and try to trade for someone like Varlamov (even then, injury concerns) or Schneider (who hasn’t been great recently either).

We can give you Markstrom or Nilsson.

member 157595

Everybody gave Tom Dundon crap for basically showing Ron Francis the door. Well, signing Scott "Hot Garbage" Darling to a 4 year deal should have gotten Francis fired.

Hot Garbage, check it and see
He lets in floaters from a hundred and three
C'mon Darling can you do more than choke
Hot Garbage, Hot Garbage

EDIT: While I'm on the subject...

Darling
You don't have to put on the red light
Those days are over
You don't have to miss shots going to the right
Darling
You don't have to man those nets tonight
Rob the 'Canes for money
You don't care if it's wrong or if it's right

OK I'll stop now.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Hot Garbage, check it and see
He lets in floaters from a hundred and three
C'mon Darling can you do more than choke
Hot Garbage, Hot Garbage

EDIT: While I'm on the subject...

Darling
You don't have to put on the red light
Those days are over
You don't have to miss shots going to the right
Darling
You don't have to man those nets tonight
Rob the 'Canes for money
You don't care if it's wrong or if it's right

OK I'll stop now.

I'll compose a song out of these lyrics.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Lehner-Nedeljkovic 2018. Send Darling to the A to back up Booth

That's pretty much where I am. Lehner may not be the 2nd coming of Patrick Roy, but he has carried a starter's load. Ned can't be worse than Darling was last year. Honestly, nobody could be worse than Darling was last year. Sending Darling to Charlotte to get his act together and force his way back to Raleigh seems like the obvious answer. There will be the cry "What about taking starts away from guys in Charlotte that need it?" That guy can still get half the starts and how else will you know if Darling is fixable?

I think the teachable moment here is that you don't sign a previous #2 to a 4 year contract without seeing how he does as a #1. Darling was definitely a steaming #2 last year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's pretty much where I am. Lehner may not be the 2nd coming of Patrick Roy, but he has carried a starter's load. Ned can't be worse than Darling was last year. Honestly, nobody could be worse than Darling was last year. Sending Darling to Charlotte to get his act together and force his way back to Raleigh seems like the obvious answer. There will be the cry "What about taking starts away from guys in Charlotte that need it?" That guy can still get half the starts and how else will you know if Darling is fixable?

Exactly. I mean I get that you can get something of a read on a goalie in the pre-season, but you really can't get that good of one. I remember Lack coming in in the pre-season his first year here and looking like a world beater, but he was a total pumpkin when the regular season came around. We have to be fair and give Darling a chance to not be terrible but we don't have to get a read on him at the NHL to start out. Let him go about 50/50 with Booth or Ned in the AHL next season to start, get a read on him there. If he's still awful then that's that, guy's bought out next offseason. If he's showing his head's in the game then and only then do you call him up and give him a shot at the NHL level again. Sucks to be paying a guy that type of money to play in the AHL for say the first month of the season but that's the only way I can see the team getting a good read on him while still trying to win.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Carolina did outbid Colorado for Grubauer. Caps just didn't want to trade him in-division
We out bid them by 5 picks in the second round. Yes, technically more than Colorado, but almost a wash. If we really wanted him, we should have put in a bid that reflected that...maybe add another 2nd next year or Arizona’s 4th this year. Given our options now, I’d have easily done one or the other.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

The Faulker

Dec 1, 2013
...and every goalie better than Ward is rumored to be pretty much done and headed to someone else, waiting for the signing day.

Ward's going to Chicago. Hutton's getting the full press to sign from the Sabres. Bernier's finalizing with Detroit. Lehner's weaknesses make him risky to go full Darling...and we're not even rumored to be among the front-runners there.

Not yet being 7/1 isn't an excuse...it's going to be all over except the crying by then.

So what would you do if you were in his position?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ned isnt ready. His save percentage is lower than what you want. His GAA wasnt bad at all but that is because Charlotte's defense was good. In the end, I would tell Ned and Darling at training camp that the best stays the other goes to Charlotte.

If I am in the GM office I shoot for a guy that we can sign as a 2 year band-aid or trade for Anderson. The 2019 UFA Goalie class is much stronger at the top. If Darling doesnt pan out again this season, you buy him out and move on. Hopefully, Ned, Booth, or Helvig are ready for the league in 2 years.

I'd love to swing a Skinner for Rinne swap with the Predators but I dont see that happening. Nashville could go get them an experienced backup for Saros but, that is putting a lot of eggs in Saros' basket.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
We out bid them by 5 picks in the second round. Yes, technically more than Colorado, but almost a wash. If we really wanted him, we should have put in a bid that reflected that...maybe add another 2nd next year or Arizona’s 4th this year. Given our options now, I’d have easily done one or the other.

Exactly my line of thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad