Darcy Kuemper / Atte Engren

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
no one seems to answer, so anyways

I'm a fan of Engren I think he has potential. Kuemper is having a very solid year but he's 20 and it doesn't look like he has much of a future in the NHL.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

I'm a fan of Engren I think he has potential. Kuemper is having a very solid year but he's 20 and it doesn't look like he has much of a future in the NHL.

Why?

Besides being THE top WHL goaltender as well as impressing during his audition stint last year with the Aeros, what has he done to give you doubt? I am actually curious, just because he was a 6th round pick?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Why?

Besides being THE top WHL goaltender as well as impressing during his audition stint last year with the Aeros, what has he done to give you doubt? I am actually curious, just because he was a 6th round pick?

He is in the mix for Minn. and several other teams have expressed interest.

I am watching RD vs Cal. right now....4-1 RD late.

RNH with 2 points....Kuemper another solid game.

Last edited:

soupisgoodfood

Dec 7, 2008
Alberta

And how many times have you viewed him in Quebec?

One of the only knocks on Kuemper this year is that his numbers are inflated because of his teams improved defense. Which is true in the sense that he gets less shots than other tenders in the league... But if you watched the Rebels on a regular basis, you'd see the number of times he's bailed out his team/flat out won them games.

Dude broke Cam Wards SO record in junior, so I don't think he's too bad...

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Why?

I don't see how he was impressive in his stint with Houston at all. I don't care that he was a 6th round draft pick. He could have gone undrafted and it wouldn't change my opinion. He's having a solid year, but he's 20. Jacob DeSerres, Shane Owen and Evan Mosher are THE top QMJHL goaltenders. Do they have a future in the NHL? Very unlikely.

Besides, I'd put my money on Pickard as the top WHL goaltender. He does wonders on a terrible defense. Kuemper is really good this year but no comparisons to be made between Seattle and Red Deer IMO.

He is in the mix for Minn. and several other teams have expressed interest.

I am watching RD vs Cal. right now....4-1 RD late.

RNH with 2 points....Kuemper another solid game.

yeah Minnesota may have the opinion they want on him. I just don't think he's anything special. Besides, I much preferd Niko Hovinen, we briefly talked about in the Simila thread, in the Minnesota organization but the Wild chose differently.

One of the only knocks on Kuemper this year is that his numbers are inflated because of his teams improved defense. Which is true in the sense that he gets less shots than other tenders in the league... But if you watched the Rebels on a regular basis, you'd see the number of times he's bailed out his team/flat out won them games.

Adam Russo beat Luongo's shutout record in the QMJHL. He's now playing in Italy in case you don't know him.

Last edited:

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Yes he is 20......how many 20 year old goalies do you see in the NHL?

Not many.........very common for 20 year old goalies to be in junior.

Adam Russo is the size of a jockey and was not drafted.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Yes he is 20......how many 20 year old goalies do you see in the NHL?

Not many.........very common for 20 year old goalies to be in junior.

Adam Russo is the size of a jockey and was not drafted.

More appropriate question I think is, how many NHL goalies were in the CHL at 20?

Outside Crawford I can't think of any. But then again Crawford was a late birthday born on December 31st, so perfectly understandable why he was sent back to the CHL.

There you go, a goalie without NHL future can beat records of the great ones too depending on the situation.

arsmaster*

He doesnt need to watch players....he just needs to look at their stat line.

Watching the players play influences his opinions on that player.

He would much rather rate players on a mathematic equation....I like to think he sees numbers like "the Matrix" flashing by, and thats how he assess players.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
He doesnt need to watch players....he just needs to look at their stat line.

Watching the players play influences his opinions on that player.

He would much rather rate players on a mathematic equation....I like to think he sees numbers like "the Matrix" flashing by, and thats how he assess players.

:)

pretty much

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It's pretty clear Kuemper hasn't actually been seen by Mathletic. The guy is huge and easily the top goalie in the WHL this year.

Yeah, he's 20. So what? That means he won't turn in to an NHL goalie in the future? Give your head a shake.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
I

yeah Minnesota may have the opinion they want on him. I just don't think he's anything special. Besides, I much preferd Niko Hovinen, we briefly talked about in the Simila thread, in the Minnesota organization but the Wild chose differently. Quote.

Big Hovinen reportedly is doing very well this season in the SM-Liga. Is he a UFA in the NHL or do his rights still belong to Minnesota?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I

yeah Minnesota may have the opinion they want on him. I just don't think he's anything special. Besides, I much preferd Niko Hovinen, we briefly talked about in the Simila thread, in the Minnesota organization but the Wild chose differently. Quote.

Big Hovinen reportedly is doing very well this season in the SM-Liga. Is he a UFA in the NHL or do his rights still belong to Minnesota?

I'll be honest, I made my comment somewhat sleepy and drunk.

But still, no one is seeing him as the next best thing, its too early. He hasn't even reached the pro level yet but at his current league, he's doing quite well for himself. I think its only fair to say its too early to say we won't be anything in the future as well. Same thing applies, he hasn't even reached the pro level yet.

But just him being one of the top WHL goaltenders gives more hope than doubt.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Kuempur isn't in the AHL because we have a log jam there, we have Hackett and Khudobin so no reason to have him be in ECHL when he could probably do better development wise in the WHL, next year Khudobin will either be gone or backing up Backstrom which will give Kuempur time in the AHL to prove him self.

Like many have said there is hope we might have something in him, maybe not but still when a prospect is doing well its exciting.

zeus3007*

Kuemper is a great junior goalie. Considering he is in a system that develops goalies very well, he has a good shot at the NHL I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad