Player Discussion Danton Heinen

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Maybe.

But I’ll put the 2011 team in the Bruins top 3 toughest teams of all time and that was only 12 years ago.

People loved that team and would still be talking about them even if they didn’t win a cup.

Things can’t have become that watered down/different that quickly, can they?

IDK, maybe you’re right.

I remember those old teams and found the league in the late 70s and 80s entertaining as hell, but it *has* changed and fairly fast. Doing away with clutch and grab, instigator penalties, expanded goalie interference rules, visors, concussion awareness, NHL marketing to create a broader appeal and more 'family friendly' arena environments, many more European players who are brought up in the 'soft' style, more NCAA players, Major Junior cracking down on fighting and rough stuff; it's all finally coming together.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I remember those old teams and found the league in the late 70s and 80s entertaining as hell, but it *has* changed and fairly fast. Doing away with clutch and grab, instigator penalties, expanded goalie interference rules, visors, concussion awareness, NHL marketing to create a broader appeal and more 'family friendly' arena environments, many more European players who are brought up in the 'soft' style, more NCAA players, Major Junior cracking down on fighting and rough stuff; it's all finally coming together.

Yeah.

Its sad what the league has become…..the vast majority of the time.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The "Bruins Identity" has resulted in like 2 cups in the last like 50 years.

Maybe.

But I’ll put the 2011 team in the Bruins top 3 toughest teams of all time and that was only 12 years ago.

People loved that team and would still be talking about them even if they didn’t win a cup.

Things can’t have become that watered down/different that quickly, can they?

IDK, maybe you’re right.

If that Bruins team lost in game 7 OT to Montreal when the puck deflected inches from the open net nobody would be looking back fondly on that team. That would've been just another choke job in a long history of them.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

If that Bruins team lost in game 7 OT to Montreal when the puck deflected inches from the open net nobody would be looking back fondly on that team. That would've been just another choke job in a long history of them.

Something tells me you wish this happened lmao

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Disagree.

Neely and Bourque never win cups here and people still talk about them fondly.

As for their identity, the lack of cups doesn’t change the fact that a large portion of the fans like that style of play.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
How?

While Bourque is obviously the better player, Chara isn’t that far behind.
Both HOF players.

Lucic and Neely are certainly comparable in terms of style of play.

You said that team would still be looked back on fondly if they didn't win in 2011. As in that single season iteration of the Bruins as a team.

If you are talking about individual players and if their entire careers would be looked back on fondly that's a different conversation.

Yes specific individual players on that team would still be looked back on fondly if they lost but not specifically because of 2011.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You said that team would still be looked back on fondly if they didn't win in 2011. As in that single season iteration of the Bruins as a team.

If you are talking about individual players and if their entire careers would be looked back on fondly that's a different conversation.

Yes specific individual players on that team would be looked back on fondly but not specifically because of 2011.
Obviously it would depend on how the season ended.

I‘m not saying if they didn’t make the playoffs people would look back on them positively…..but a deep playoff run without a cup, I think they still get talked about a lot.

I still look back on the 88 and 90 playoff runs and am happy to have been able to watch them.

Obviously, I’d have much rather they won the cup, but it was still a good time in my life as a Bruins fan.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Obviously it would depend on how the season ended.

I‘m not saying if they didn’t make the playoffs people would look back on them positively…..but a deep playoff run without a cup, I think they still get talked about a lot.

I still look back on the 88 and 90 playoff runs and am happy to have been able to watch them.

Obviously, I’d have much rather they won the cup, but it was still a good time in my life as a Bruins fan.

So then the original statement of

Really would have an asterisk at the end. If they lost game 7 to Vancouver I agree some would still look fondly back on that team/season as a cup run wasn't really thought of as a strong possibility that year.

If they lost game 7 to Montreal or lost to the Flyers again the year after blowing a 3-0 lead I'd assume most people wouldn't think of that team as anything special regardless of all the "toughness" they had.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
So then the original statement of

Really would have an asterisk at the end. If they lost game 7 to Vancouver I agree some would still look fondly back on that team/season as a cup run wasn't really thought of as a strong possibility that year.

If they lost game 7 to Montreal or lost to the Flyers again the year after blowing a 3-0 lead I'd assume most people wouldn't think of that team as anything special regardless of all the "toughness" they had.

I guess it depends on the individual. I mean if they bowed out in round one, do people talk about them less?

Probably.

But if they were talked about it’s likely about the line brawls vs. Dallas or Montreal that year….so we’re back to fans appreciating that style of play.

In the end, I think it’s sad that a lot of fans don’t seem to expect intensity or toughness from this team any longer.

But we digress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I guess it depends on the individual. I mean if they bowed out in round one, do people talk about them less?

Probably.

But if they were talked about it’s likely about the line brawls vs. Dallas or Montreal that year….so we’re back to fans appreciating that style of play.

In the end, I think it’s sad that a lot of fans don’t seem to expect intensity or toughness from this team any longer.

But we digress.

I think as time has gone on players have learned a lot about the effects of what professional sports does to the body long term.

Players have realized it isn't worth it to be risking injury to play a hardnose physical game in a random December game. Nobody wants a concussion that ruins their post hockey lifestyle. And most regular NHL players don't want to be the one to accidentally dish out a concussion and end up the talk of the sports world for ruining another players career. Especially when all these guys are friends for the most part.

A professional hockey career for most is short compared to the rest of the life they live. If they can limit the risk of a debilitating long term injury while still having a secure spot in the league I don't blame them for playing that style.

You still have guys in the league that can do both but it seems to be going the way of the dodo. If I had top 6 NHL skill I wouldn't bother playing a physical game unless it was absolutely necessary (or until we were in the playoffs).

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think as time has gone on players have learned a lot about the effects of what professional sports does to the body long term.

Players have realized it isn't worth it to be risking injury to play a hardnose physical game in a random December game. Nobody wants a concussion that ruins their post hockey lifestyle. And most regular NHL players don't want to be the one to accidentally dish out a concussion and end up the talk of the sports world for ruining another players career. Especially when all these guys are friends for the most part.

A professional hockey career for most is short compared to the rest of the life they live. If they can limit the risk of a debilitating long term injury while still having a secure spot in the league I don't blame them for playing that style.

You still have guys in the league that can do both but it seems to be going the way of the dodo. If I had top 6 NHL skill I wouldn't bother playing a physical game unless it was absolutely necessary (or until we were in the playoffs).
Makes sense.

Makes me like like the game less, but it makes sense.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Wouldn't you like to be a Canadiens or Kracken fan? No toughness, whiny, divers.

Hockey is still a tougher sport, tragically not what it once was, but still tough. I love the Bruins identity, I love having a tough team that will stand up for themselves and not whine and cry to refs or the league. THIS team needs more of that not less. More guys like Lucic, less Heinens.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Nothing to laugh about. Joking around in that kind of situation is how people get bit.

Why else do you think Russo has a string of garlic around his neck and a silver crucifix in his pocket (look closely, they are there).

Come on....... You're better than that @BMC! Get in the game.

Well played sir, well played! :bow: :laugh:

Reactions: Number8

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Probably.

But we digress.
I think it’s all about how you are wired. It’s very difficult to be someone - or play like someone - that you inherently are not.

I was uber aggressive as a kid playing football, hockey, and rugby. I thrived on the physicality. Absolutely loved it. It was an aspect of the games that I was good at and it served me well. On the other hand, I did not have the innate talent to change a game single handedly. There were other players that did, who were not as physical as I was.

At the end of the day, the players with more innate talent went further than me. The kids who had innate talent and aggressiveness tended to go even further.

It’s why some players are special and why players like Cam Neely, say, are extra special.

As an example, would I like Brandon Carlo to be nastier (he has been a bit nastier this season, to my eye actually)? Yes. But it’s not his makeup and you cannot force that. He’s still a very good NHL defenseman.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
and in OT he was playing D!

Yep, which tells you all you need to know about why Heinen's been signed. Versatility and responsibility. Great utility player to have in the group. Not a guy who's going to move the needle a lot in terms of the team's fortunes, but just someone who's going to make himself useful in lots of little ways.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad