Confirmed with Link: Danny DeKeyser re-signed 6 years 30 million

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Okay, cool. That's not too bad.

I am definitely where the **** our money for Mrazek comes from though.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
That's fine. We didn't get any great discount but it's not terrible like every other contract KH signs these days.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Wow, the reaction from fans around the league seem to be pretty shocked at this deal. Is this a time I need to start defending Holland again?!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not a bad deal. Both sides wanted a long-term deal but there ain't much of an AAV break given the length. It's good to see our actual guys in their prime get paid. My guess is DeKeyer's agent held out and got what he wanted. I think the same thing happened when they were negotiating when he was a FA out of Western. My guess is Holland wanted to stash him in the AHL and DeKeyser's agent held out until he received assurances DD was going to be in Detroit.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wow, the reaction from fans around the league seem to be pretty shocked at this deal. Is this a time I need to start defending Holland again?!

Haha, HF groupthink at its best. It's kind of funny reading those responses.

Mr Pipe

Mar 1, 2008
I think I'm going to get myself a DDK jersey soon... glad he's with the team for 6 more years

WingedWheel1988

The Captain
Jan 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
The reaction is a bit interesting, UFA D men are going for 5+ mill, so we lock our guy up for that instead of grabbing some other random D man next year for the same price (Or more) and people are calling it dumb? Plus he is basically our best D shut down guy at this point.. I think its the going rate and with assuming a cap increase over the contract time it won't be a bad at all?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like having Danny locked up for the next 6 years.

Don't really love the 5 million AAV, don't think he is quite worth that to be honest, but I can live with it. If Babcock didn't give him PP time he really shouldn't have gotten, we probably could have kept his AAV more in check.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Shocked? That a top3/4 guy anywhere in the league, only 26, would get a AAV $5M? Who is shocked and why?

Plus he had some leverage. He's our best d-man and he knows it. It's certainly not Kronwall, or Ericsson, or Marchenko, or Quincey.

Maybe shocked that he didn't give us much of a discount, but this deal is run of the mill.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Fair price. I don't think he's getting Dekeyser at a value, and I don't think either the term or the price sets Detroit up to be too severely impacted if he either plateaus or declines a bit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Shocked? That a top3/4 guy anywhere in the league, only 26, would get a AAV $5M? Who is shocked and why?

Plus he had some leverage. He's our best d-man and he knows it. It's certainly not Kronwall, or Ericsson, or Marchenko, or Quincey.

A lot of fans around the league really don't know much about him. Go look at a top 50 defenseman list on the main board and you won't even see a single Red Wings player on it.

I mean, he's not a flashy guy who puts up huge numbers, and his advanced stats aren't great, so he doesn't really appeal to the stat watchers.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Maybe shocked that he didn't give us much of a discount, but this deal is run of the mill.

There is still a wider audience that only thinks star players get 5M+.

DDK is a keeper on this team no matter what is going on with the rest.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Where does that leave our cap situation w/ LTIR, and whose still outstanding outside of Petr?

Aug 6, 2012
Can't complain. Locking up a top-four defenseman in his prime for 5 UFA years is solid. Still, it is a lot of money and term. You'd hope he takes a step forward from last year where he was pretty average.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I can only hope that this huge contract, combined with Mrazek not even being paid yet and already being over the cap leads to some sort of trade.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I like having Danny locked up for the next 6 years.

Don't really love the 5 million AAV, don't think he is quite worth that to be honest, but I can live with it. If Babcock didn't give him PP time he really shouldn't have gotten, we probably could have kept his AAV more in check.

Let's be honest. More like 12 more years :laugh:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
while I agree that Dekeyser's qualities are harder to appreciate for normal run of mil fans I think that the new system did not really help Dekeyser .. or any D.

DK made more turnovers this season more so than previous. If my memory serves me right a lot of those seemed to be in situations where he was forced to make the play due to systematic reasons. It is just my guess, I could be wrong here but given how Wings put premium on faster breakout, I suspect that has something to do with that.

I dont think this was his best season but non of our D really shined and made many terrible passes throughout the seasons. As a team, they really need to sit down and think about how they are going to get the puck from D to F safely away from pressure. Maybe we should stop splitting the ice in half as much as and use other side of the ice to relieve the pressure when breaking out. It would create rooms to allow our D to skate the puck out thus when it is turned over during transition, our gap between F and D is not that wide and we can win it right back, maintaining constant pressure around the puck.

When I think back on the system Wings played last season, it was a good attempt on theory but it required too much high quality executions to make it work correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00