Danny Briere?

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Question for Nashville fans:

If Danny Briere waived his NTC, would the Predators have interest in him? If so, what would you give up for him.

Quick summary on Briere currently. He has two more years after this one at a 6.5M cap hit, but his actual salary is 3M next year and 2M the following. Briere is pretty average in the regular season (maybe a ~50 points), but come playoff time he really picks up his scoring (about a PPG player). He can play both center and wing, but is a liability on defense, especially if you play him at center. You can mask it a bit if he plays wing. Really good on the PP down low in the Gretzky area. Good leader and reallly a good team guy overall.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?

If Danny Briere waived his NTC, would the Predators have interest in him? If so, what would you give up for him.

Quick summary on Briere currently. He has two more years after this one at a 6.5M cap hit, but his actual salary is 3M next year and 2M the following. Briere is pretty average in the regular season (maybe a ~50 points), but come playoff time he really picks up his scoring (about a PPG player). He can play both center and wing, but is a liability on defense, especially if you play him at center. You can mask it a bit if he plays wing. Really good on the PP down low in the Gretzky area. Good leader and reallly a good team guy overall.

What would it cost us?

jlsg

Nov 8, 2006
At 35 years old and declining stats I really don't see what he can offer us for what we would have to give up.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
At 35 years old and declining stats I really don't see what he can offer us for what we would have to give up.

Declining, yes. But he would still be a top line player for Nashville. He does have 10 points in 15 games this year so it's not like he's totally lost it and he's not even on the Flyers top PP unit. He could see quite a bit more points if you put him on the top PP unit in Nashville.

But even so, in the playoffs he seems to pick his offensive game up quite a bit. Defensively he still sucks. But with a team like Nashville I think you could mask his defensive liabilities a bit. He's still a PPG player in the playoffs and he seems to score big goals all the time. That's really what this trade would be about for Nashville.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
1st rounder or D prospect + lower pick

I'd consider any D on the farm not named Ekholm and a mid round pick. Can't see the motivation for the Flyers for that though, unless they're really desperate to pick up the cap space.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I kn ow "its just business" but I really dont see us dealing with the Flyers any time soon unless its a really sweet deal for us....

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

Those 4 bolded words make this a non-starter for us.

jlsg

Nov 8, 2006
Declining, yes. But he would still be a top line player for Nashville. He does have 10 points in 15 games this year so it's not like he's totally lost it and he's not even on the Flyers top PP unit. He could see quite a bit more points if you put him on the top PP unit in Nashville.

But even so, in the playoffs he seems to pick his offensive game up quite a bit. Defensively he still sucks. But with a team like Nashville I think you could mask his defensive liabilities a bit. He's still a PPG player in the playoffs and he seems to score big goals all the time. That's really what this trade would be about for Nashville.

He wouldn't be worth what we would have to give up. If Philly says yes to a 7th rounder and a bag of pucks, then sure. But you mention d prospect or 1st rounder, not even close to value.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I would have been all over a deal like this a couple years ago, but he doesn't really fit in our plans right now.

The fact that he is not so great defensively doesn't bother me at all though. We need some guys on our team that think offense first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad