Rumor: Danny Briere set to retire

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
http://thehockeywriters.com/danny-briere-will-be-remembered-as-a-philadelphia-flyer/

Although Briere excelled in two playoff appearances with the Sabres, tallying 34 points in as many postseason games, the undersized scorer developed the moniker of “Mr. Playoffs†in Philadelphia.

Briere tallied 72 of his 116 playoff points while with the Flyers, while nine of his 13 game-winning playoff goals were scored for a case of TastyKake. Even after turning in 49 points in the 2011-12 season – down 19 points from the year before – the 5-foot-9, 174-pound forward found a way to flip the switch come playoff time, depositing eight goals with five assists in 11 games.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Of all the many players that have passed through Philadelphia over the many Seasons I've followed the Flyers -- which has been all of them -- I don't believe any were as fan friendly as Danny was... From the moment a fan is in his presence he has Danny complete attention, eye contact and most of all his sincere warm smile.

There have been many players that have seemed to enjoy meeting the Flyers fans, and there have been many that have freely displayed their feelings -- and also many who have shown their displeasure with the task and have gone through the motions in an obvious manner... doing their job but wishing to be elsewhere -- but IMO, none of them quite like Danny who seems to relish the contact, and seemingly not merely because of the admiration he receives. I've seen Danny stroll through Haddonfield and chat with people at Starbucks as if they were old friends that he brought there.

Danny may be the ultimate Flyers father figure who though completely shattered by his divorce found a way to make sure that his three boys received as much of his attention as possible and arranged it so that when he was not on the Road, his sons had their father right there beside them to raise them... And to top that off, he took in a couple of young Flyers players pretty much directly out of Juniors and gave them a home life that they otherwise wouldn't have had. He adopted the Community and displayed loyalty to it... and made a commitment to it. Personally, I have as much admiration for Danny as I can have for any Pro Athlete who has passed through Philadelphia... based solely on his family life and civic pride... his fan interaction being mere icing on the cake.

There have been better players that wore O&B, and certainly more loved fan favorites, and even players who have given more time and devotion to the Flyers Organization... but IMO there may never have been a better person to have put on the Flying 'P' sweater than Danny Briere.

Much of the above is just common knowledge and some of it is through personal observation and brief encounters... and a very little bit from some insider info... a lot was reported over the years in so many articles about him... I just wanted to tie it all together as a tribute to a great Flyers player on his pending Retirement.

Thanks, Danny, for a terrific career in the NHL... you will be missed on the ice but welcomed back in the Community... and hopefully in the Flyers 'Family' for years to come.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Of all the many players that have passed through Philadelphia over the many Seasons I've followed the Flyers -- which has been all of them -- I don't believe any were as fan friendly as Danny was... From the moment a fan is in his presence he has Danny complete attention, eye contact and most of all his sincere warm smile.

There have been many players that have seemed to enjoy meeting the Flyers fans, and there have been many that have freely displayed their feelings -- and also many who have shown their displeasure with the task and have gone through the motions in an obvious manner... doing their job but wishing to be elsewhere -- but IMO, none of them quite like Danny who seems to relish the contact, and seemingly not merely because of the admiration he receives. I've seen Danny stroll through Haddonfield and chat with people at Starbucks as if they were old friends that he brought there.

Danny may be the ultimate Flyers father figure who though completely shattered by his divorce found a way to make sure that his three boys received as much of his attention as possible and arranged it so that when he was not on the Road, his sons had their father right there beside them to raise them... And to top that off, he took in a couple of young Flyers players pretty much directly out of Juniors and gave them a home life that they otherwise wouldn't have had. He adopted the Community and displayed loyalty to it... and made a commitment to it. Personally, I have as much admiration for Danny as I can have for any Pro Athlete who has passed through Philadelphia... based solely on his family life and civic pride... his fan interaction being mere icing on the cake.

There have been better players that wore O&B, and certainly more loved fan favorites, and even players who have given more time and devotion to the Flyers Organization... but IMO there may never have been a better person to have put on the Flying 'P' sweater than Danny Briere.

Much of the above is just common knowledge and some of it is through personal observation and brief encounters... and a very little bit from some insider info... a lot was reported over the years in so many articles about him... I just wanted to tie it all together as a tribute to a great Flyers player on his pending Retirement.

Thanks, Danny, for a terrific career in the NHL... you will be missed on the ice but welcomed back in the Community... and hopefully in the Flyers 'Family' for years to come.

I'd have to agree with the bolded. I used to do saturday/sunday morning skates at the skatezone in pennsauken before moving out west, and his son would play shortly after our open skate for the comcast team. He was almost always willing to chat if you ran in to him in the entryway, and even gave me a compliment on a glove save one time. I was floored that he would even pay attention to a bunch of sunday morning beer leaguers.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Mr. Clutch! Danny was awesome, as mentioned above, not much else to say. Nobody else you would rather have on the ice in the playoffs then him if you needed a spark or a big goal. Guy just was able to score at will when the team needed him most.

LEIFey

Context Matters!
Jun 28, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
I was sad to see his playing ability deteriorate over the years, but there isn't a better guy than Danny Briere.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I have a confession, when the big 3 were available that offseason (Briere/Drury/Gomez) I really wanted the latter 2 and stay away from the small guy. But man was I proven wrong and glad for it. Briere was an amazing clutch player, he brought his game to another level in the playoffs, you just knew he would find some way to make something happen. I ran into him at a Barnes & Noble (we were all waiting to get seated or food from Cheesecake Factory) in Cherry Hill and as previously mentioned, super nice guy, took pictures with all of us, even though he was in and out and we probably made him stay 4 times longer than needed.

I wish him nothing but the best for him and his family from here on out.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Briere is one of my all-time favorite players. He was a dirty little player that could really make a difference. Like a more skilled and more well behaved (or at least sneakier) Rinaldo.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
One of my favourite players when he was with the Flyers, he really showed up when it counted. He seemed like a great guy as well.

21054512,16842011,highRes,Giroux-und-Briere.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Time really flies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2922605

The skilled but undersized forward signed an eight-year, $52
million contract with the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday,
immediately becoming the top player signed on the first day of the
NHL's free agency period and leaving the Buffalo Sabres without one
of their co-captains.

The Flyers weren't done. A few hours later they swung a major
four-player deal with the Edmonton Oilers, acquiring defensemen
Jason Smith and forward Joffrey Lupul in exchange for defenseman
Joni Pitkanen and journeyman forward Geoff Sanderson.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Robbed of a Conn Smythe by MFL.

He should have won anyway. Toews didn't do jack**** in the finals.

Earlier I commented and stressed on Danny the 'person', and what a great person he was... I guess I really should have taken some time to mention what a clutch player he was when it counted; in the PostSeason, down the Stretch, and late in Games... Captain Clutch was a perfect nickname for him... and while I'm not much for adults holding signs, I have to admit that at one Game the Flyers Fan Patrol, or someone like that, handed out sheets of cardboard urging the Fans to make up signs, and I did for the only time in my life... I wrote and held up at the warm-ups; "Danny Is Money"... and IMO that was a fact come the PostSeason.

Anyway, I at 2010 SCF Game Six and after the tragic and phantom Kane Goal that eluded Leighton... and everyone else's eyes... and the mess was sorted out and the Cup was lost, they immediately announced the Conn Smyth winner... I booed long and loud because I honestly believed that another Flyers player should have won it in a losing effort -- joining Leach and Hexy -- Danny had a monster PostSeason and was arguably the best player in it and throughout it... I did however feel guilty as it must have sounded like I was booing the Hawks, which I was honestly not... and I thought to myself that the Media were going to mention how typical it was that the Philly fans would display a total lack of class and boo the Cup Champions... I want it to be in record that I later cheered and applauded for both the Champion Hawks and our valiant Flyers.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
While his defensive game was infuriating, he seemed like a wizard around the net, and his shots from the top of the left circle seemed unstoppable. Certainly an exciting player to have in the organization

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
While his defensive game was infuriating, he seemed like a wizard around the net, and his shots from the top of the left circle seemed unstoppable. Certainly an exciting player to have in the organization

And a hard worker who honed his skills every warm-up with specific exercises that he doggedly worked out so seriously... including passing around the boards, and of course the more obvious cookie jar placing shots. :naughty:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Briere is one of my all-time favorite players. He was a dirty little player that could really make a difference. Like a more skilled and more well behaved (or at least sneakier) Rinaldo.

Ugh. Way to **** all over his legacy.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Briere will always be one of my favorite flyers. His run in 2010 was incredible. That was the best few months of my life, and i owe him a lot.

I hope he stays around the area.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Briere is intelligent and articulate. I would think he'd be good on TV.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Always had an illogical dislike for the player. Even after meeting him at Chickie's and Pete's once after a game I came away saying he's a great person but I still don't like the player, can't really explain it. But I never denied the quality of the player. He did a lot of great things for this team and watching him deteriorate, even with my aforementioned illogical dislike for the player, was hard to watch. I wish the man well with the rest of his life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad