Proposal: Daniel Sprong+ Connor Sheary for TJ Brodie

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
What would pens fans think of a trade for Daniel Sprong+ Connor Sheary for TJ Brodie(plus maybe a low round pick if needed to balance)? Daniel Sprong is a top RW prospect that shoots right, which Calgary desperately needs, and Connor Sheary could fill a hole for us on the third line, whereas pittsburgh gets a solid puck moving dman who ideally plays best on the right side, but can also play left(where he has struggled this year). Is this a fair trade? If not, I was also thinking of just a prospect for prospect swap, what would fans think of:

Daniel Sprong for Oliver Kylington or Adam Fox?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pens have Letang and Schultz on the right side so don't want another top 4 guy who is best on the right side.

Reactions: That1Kid

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Pens have Letang and Schultz on the right side so don't want another top 4 guy who is best on the right side.
What would you think of a Kylington(plays the left side) for Sprong straight up?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
What's the deal with Kylington/Fox/Andersson in terms of value/upside?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
And this is not good for the Flames as Sheary is an undersized LHS and Sprong hasn't proven anything yet. We'd be taking a huge hit on our already mep LHD side.

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
And this is not good for the Flames as Sheary is an undersized LHS and Sprong hasn't proven anything yet. We'd be taking a huge hit on our already mep LHD side.

Fair point. Sheary isn't very attractive to me, other than trying to balance the value, although he would fit in quite well on the third line with Jankowski and Bennett I feel like. It is likely a better option to package Brodie for a top RW, and then trade one of our D prospects for Sprong(who has high upside)

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
I'll let others comment on Fox because I haven't watched or heard too much about him, although he is a really good RD prospect, but Andersson is NHL ready imo. He's played extremely well in stockton. He's a physical dman who has quarterbacked a powerplay in the ahl, and is really smart defensively. He's been called up for the past few games with injuries and has looked good on our third pairing, where he will likely start next year if he isn't traded. Kylington I haven't heard or watched as much of as he hasn't played in the nhl yet, but he's similar to TJ Brodie, smooth skating puck carrying dman, who isn't quite as strong at the defensive side of the game, but is still decent.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I like Sprong + for Brodie, but Sheary is in there for cap and value? But Sprong for Kylington could work out for both sides, Flames need help at RW and Pens need help at LD.
Brodie plays better on his right side, but with the trades for all 3 of Hamilton, Hamonic and Stone (all right handed), he's been forced to play on his left (he has a deadly back hander), I think Brodie could make sense depending on how long Pens fans want to ride Letang as a 25+ minutes a night

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Pens would regret this trade later. One or the other boys, not both. Brodie has been not good for 2 years. Absolutely awful this year.

He was not absolutely awful. He had a bad year. But it’s because he doesn’t fit Gulutzan’s system. TJ is a world class skater, but Gully doesn’t allow him to play his game. Brodie needs to be allowed to go out there and play his game. Coincidence he has been a star under every other coach other than Gulutzan? I think not

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He was not absolutely awful. He had a bad year. But it’s because he doesn’t fit Gulutzan’s system. TJ is a world class skater, but Gully doesn’t allow him to play his game. Brodie needs to be allowed to go out there and play his game. Coincidence he has been a star under every other coach other than Gulutzan? I think not
So do you think Brodie is available? I get that Calgary doesn't want Sprong and Sheary for him, but what kind of pieces would you be looking for?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

They all have roughly the same value. You'd be fine with either one. I think the Flames are more high on Andersson if they had to pick one of the 3, but I personally think Fox has the most upside.

Best player currently? Andersson.

Best player in 5 years? Fox. I see him having Barrie/Shattenkirk upside. He would work well getting some pointers from Letang.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't want Fox, not because he's not good, but because he's still in college. I want a guy who has pro experience already. I'd probably want to get Andersson for Sprong, and I'd want to expand it beyond just straight up. Some might say that the Penguins already have Schultz and Letang on RD, but Schultz isn't signed long term and Letang has been ass this year (plus has a bunch of injury concerns). I'd love to get a high potential RHD. I think Kylington

I'd probably want to do something like Sprong and Pedan for Andersson and Shinkaruk. I don't think any of Pedan or Shinkaruk have any sort of significant value, rather they're just there so the Penguins replace Sprong and the Flames replace Andersson somewhat in the AHL.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I wouldn't want Fox, not because he's not good, but because he's still in college. I want a guy who has pro experience already. I'd probably want to get Andersson for Sprong, and I'd want to expand it beyond just straight up. Some might say that the Penguins already have Schultz and Letang on RD, but Schultz isn't signed long term and Letang has been ass this year (plus has a bunch of injury concerns). I'd love to get a high potential RHD. I think Kylington

I'd probably want to do something like Sprong and Pedan for Andersson and Shinkaruk. I don't think any of Pedan or Shinkaruk have any sort of significant value, rather they're just there so the Penguins replace Sprong and the Flames replace Andersson somewhat in the AHL.

Out of Andersson, Fox and Kylington (order I value them), I'd prefer to keep Andersson, so if you were open to Kylington+Shink for Sprong+Pedan, I'd be open to it, I'd add a 6th on the Flames side

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Out of Andersson, Fox and Kylington (order I value them), I'd prefer to keep Andersson, so if you were open to Kylington+Shink for Sprong+Pedan, I'd be open to it, I'd add a 6th on the Flames side

I'm iffy on Kylington, to be honest. I know he turned pro immediately after being drafted, but you have to think about what's up with him since he hasn't made the jump to a NHLer yet. It's his 3rd AHL season and he only has 1 game of NHL experience, and it looks like Andersson has jumped him on the depth chart. I'm just iffy on him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm iffy on Kylington, to be honest. I know he turned pro immediately after being drafted, but you have to think about what's up with him since he hasn't made the jump to a NHLer yet. It's his 3rd AHL season and he only has 1 game of NHL experience, and it looks like Andersson has jumped him on the depth chart. I'm just iffy on him.

Well, it doesn't help that he is behind Giordano, Brodie, and Kulak. But, I see your point. I think lots of teams, ESPECIALLY US, do not give rookies a lot of chance of proving themselves in the big club. So, we never see their true potential.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

I can't explain why because i don't watch many leagues excluding WHL and NHL, I think the organization is trying to get the young guys to play defense in the AHL so when they get to the bigs they don't need to be re-taught, we have so many good d-prospects we all have our different ranks Valimaki-Andersson-Fox-Kylington is mine, but unless we move a dman or injuries we may only see Andersson/Kylington get theit chances (imo they both deserve their chances) and you don't really want to rush a young player because you could ruin their development.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would do the original deal in a heart beat and run away laughing. I think it really favours the Pens and gives us a big boost in terms of elite skaters.

Sprong for defensive prospect... I'm tentatively in favour but don't know enough about other prospects to say who I'd see as the right return. I don't know whether Rutherford would be interested though, the coaches have gone on and on about him as a potential fit for Crosby. Maybe he's unwilling to let go of that, for all the rumoured problems between Sully and Sprong.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I wonder what an equivalent offer from Buffalo would look like. Nylander + what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad