Signing(s): Daniel Jones signs long term extension with the Giants (4 years, $160 million)

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I have a difficult time seeing the Giants go far in the playoffs with Jones as their QB, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.
I would agree with you but the NFC is weak, Purdy had a good run , I like Daboll ,he has turned the Giants around so far.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
As an Eagles fan this makes me quite happy. The Giants should be mediocre at best for the foreseeable future.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
he Carved the 32nd rated Defense, as a long time viking fan that is the worst Defense ive ever seen, hopefully flores can turn that ship around, with Kendricks gone, I just read dantzler as well!

Flores is alone should improve the D (But I also said theres no way 21 could be worse than the 20 defense and it was, barely) and it seems like they're trying to get younger there. Both Smiths might be gone next.

Somethings going on with Dantzler. He showed flashes at times, then got hurt and when he came back was inactive for "personal reasons" towards the end of the season. He fell out of a favor there. Remember he did something to piss Zimmer off too. So he might be a bit of a knucklehead behind the scenes and they just said screw it cut him now when we need the cap room rather than in August.

Reactions: Cleetus

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Flores is alone should improve the D (But I also said theres no way 21 could be worse than the 20 defense and it was, barely) and it seems like they're trying to get younger there. Both Smiths might be gone next.

Somethings going on with Dantzler. He showed flashes at times, then got hurt and when he came back was inactive for "personal reasons" towards the end of the season. He fell out of a favor there. Remember he did something to piss Zimmer off too. So he might be a bit of a knucklehead behind the scenes and they just said screw it cut him now when we need the cap room rather than in August.
yea I was reading Z'darious asked fo his release, I like Hit Man, think he would flourish with Flores, but yes should be an interesting off season! like you said it looks like they are going to go for a younger D, which I think is a good idea

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Ehh....bad contract. But what else could the Giants do.

I mean who are they going to go get better than Jones? They are not a Rodgers away from a SB. Unlike.. say maybe the Jets.

The issue I have with him is that he is similar to Dak. When everything is in place, he can get it done. Otherwise, he will struggle. Elite QB's do not need an awesome OL or elite receivers. Or even a top D. Just maybe one of those. See guys like Mahomes, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have not followed much the Giants the past few seasons but I have read many time that Daboll is the GOAT and that whatever he do it is the best thing ever done in football.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ehh....bad contract. But what else could the Giants do.

I mean who are they going to go get better than Jones? They are not a Rodgers away from a SB. Unlike.. say maybe the Jets.

The issue I have with him is that he is similar to Dak. When everything is in place, he can get it done. Otherwise, he will struggle. Elite QB's do not need an awesome OL or elite receivers. Or even a top D. Just maybe one of those. See guys like Mahomes, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers.
Well, it wasn't really a matter of getting rid of Jones or not. It was whether they should have tagged him vs give him a new deal with guaranteed money longer than the 2023 season. I get that would have meant not tagging Barkley, but given the RB market, you are realistically talking about guaranteeing 2 years or like $25-27 mill of salary. Just a bit more than 2 consecutive tags. No one wants another Murray/Bell and sign another team's RB coming off the rookie deal for big money.

If they could have done term on Barkley for say 4 years, $60 mill with $26 mill guaranteed, they could have had Jones for like $32 mill this season or something. Financially, that would have made more sense, but the Giants opted to do term with Jones and tag Barkley.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I haven't seen a team mess up the franchise tag this bad since it was implemented

I am adamantly against paying running backs
put giving saquan a bump in what Chubb got, then franchising Jones was clear to everybody except their GM

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I haven't seen a team mess up the franchise tag this bad since it was implemented

I am adamantly against paying running backs
put giving saquan a bump in what Chubb got, then franchising Jones was clear to everybody except their GM
I agree. Chubb deal was $36.6 mill over 3. So $12.2 mill per. With $20 mill guaranteed and $12 mill in signing bonus. $2 mill in base salary and $3 mill in option bonus. And $2.9 mill of his $10.85 mill from his 2023 base salary was guaranteed at the start of 2022 league year.

Do that deal in a heartbeat with Barkley. Push it to $40 mill and push the guaranteed money to $24/25 mill.

2 tags of Jones cost you like $70 mill give or take. And if you have $25 mill guaranteed for Barkley that’s $95 mill. Now have $82 mill for DJ and the $11 and change for Barkley for $93 mill but no Barkley signed for 2024. Would cost you another $13.5 mill to keep him. Be around $10 mill less to have tagged Jones give or take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad