Daniel Briere's autobiography

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Book just came out in French so I didn't have a chance to read it yet but I will. Few things that stood out in the media is the way Therrien was horrible to players. Just constant confrontation and insults. Not a big surprise, right? Now, what does that say about Therrien's best friend Bergevin still leading that team and the way they both treated kids like Galchenyuk, Subban or any of the other guys coming out of the minors, for the good of their "system", of their "methods"? Lindy Ruff comes out as a really good coach, no surprise here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The translations of some of the tweets quoting it that came out earlier tonight were telling. Therrien comes across as a complete a-hole.

Reactions: CalgarySnow

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The translations of some of the tweets quoting it that came out earlier tonight were telling. Therrien comes across as a complete a-hole.

I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not. Just listening to Therrien talk over the years, he comes across like a big Ahole.

Reactions: CalgarySnow

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think you'd be surprised just how many coaches come out that way if you ask players to look back on it. I dislike Therrien, but he got a lot out of some decidedly Slim Montreal rosters. Do I agree with whatever methods he may have employed? No. But I bet it's a lot more common in the league than you think.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

If players want best friend, tell them to get a dog.

He might be an Ahole, but he's paid to win. Lots of successful people are far worse Aholes and end up being revered. If you want to dislike therrien there are tons of reasons above the fact that he wouldn't hold players hands (i.e. Personnel choices)

Reactions: Kimota

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Did his parents write it for him?

Not sure what the cheap shot comment is about regarding Briere...

Evergreen

Why can't I find this book anywhere? I want to buy it as a Christmas gift for my sister who is a big fan of Briere.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

He might be an Ahole, but he's paid to win. Lots of successful people are far worse Aholes and end up being revered. If you want to dislike therrien there are tons of reasons above the fact that he wouldn't hold players hands (i.e. Personnel choices)

But Therrien never won.

Terry Ryan is another biography blasting Therrien.
Therrien says he's changed, but has he? - Sportsnet.ca
“Once, he called me in for a meeting and he just lit a cigarette, smoked it and told me to get the [expletive] out of his office,” said Ryan. “Obviously there was a message being sent. I didn’t really know what it was…There was obviously a thing where he wanted mental dominance.”

The only player that ever said good things about Therrien are his favorite pets (DD, Bouillon etc.) and Crosby.

I wouldn't be surprised if we a in the top 15 (top10?) most hated coaches in NHL history.

Reactions: Peanut

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

There’s a difference between being a “tough love coach” and... whatever Therrien was trying to be.

Telling Brière no one respects him, deliberately keeping Brière out of the shootout drill simply because he suggested it, ripping in to Subban during intermission then refusing to give him any constructive criticism when he asks, and ignoring a player at practice after they’ve had a rough game only to rip into them two hours before game time sounds like a great deal worse than your typical jackass coach.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The guy made over $50M in his career, he's not hurting for money. Why would your default setting be to assume everyone is lying at all times?
When did I say he was lying? I said who knows what's real and what's not? If you want to just hear one side of a story and assume that's the correct version that's fine. But I never said anyone was lying. I take biographies and such with a grain of salt.

Calm down.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You know you can’t just make things up and publish them as truth, right? Opens yourself up to serious legal repercussions.
Someone's experience or perception absolutely can be published. When was the last time you saw someone get sued or get into legal action because they said they disliked another person or said another person was mean? Especially in a biography. Taking one persons account as a be-all end-all of what actually happened is just silly.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
But Therrien never won.

Terry Ryan is another biography blasting Therrien.
Therrien says he's changed, but has he? - Sportsnet.ca

The only player that ever said good things about Therrien are his favorite pets (DD, Bouillon etc.) and Crosby.

I wouldn't be surprised if we a in the top 15 (top10?) most hated coaches in NHL history.
Looks like DD wasn't a fan of Therrien's methods either.

« C'était la façon de fonctionner de Michel. Si tu connaissais un match ordinaire, il ne te rencontrait pas lors de l'entraînement suivant pour clarifier les choses ou pour te donner des outils afin d'améliorer ton jeu [...] Pierre Gervais venait te chercher deux heures avant le match [pour t'amener voir Therrien]. Puis là, il te rentrait dedans! Tu te faisais remettre tes erreurs dans la gorge et tu te faisais ramasser juste avant le match. Ensuite, tu commençais ton match en étant frustré, fâché, sans être concentré sur la tâche à accomplir. » - David Desharnais

Daniel Brière écorche Michel Therrien dans son autobiographie

Reactions: Peanut

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lolll, I do remember when he speared Ovi in the groin. But I think it was retaliation.

It's not like he was out there actually injuring guys. Sure he took some liberties with his stick, but as a tiny hockey player in the 2000s, he had to protect himself somehow.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Say what you will about Therrien, but he is the coach with the 4th more wins all time for the Montreal Canadiens. His job was to get results and he got results from a very ordinary roster. He isn't supposed to be their friend. Maybe a few guys on the current team need a bit less of a cheerleader and more of a guy like Therrien. Sometimes wanting to stay on the good side of a guy like that will work wonders on your effort level.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
I'll repeat what I wrote on the team's board...

The organization has been managed by terrible GMs the last few years (Pierre Gauthier, MB). Its amazing how in 2017 w/t the advent of a salary cap that a GM doesn't understand the medium and long-term impact of treating their players like POS. Regardless of the fact that players make millions of dollars, they don't want to be belittled and berated by the team leadership (coach, GM, ownership). It "might" lead to results short-term but its not a winning strategy in the medium or long term.

B/W the crazy media/journalists and how they have been treating the players the last decade or so... is it any wonder the organization has trouble attracting UFA's without throwing a boat-load of $$$ at them or getting players to sign "hometown" discounts?

Reactions: BobbyShehan

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Briere is one of the classiest guys I know
[his sons go to my old high school, he lives nearby, he's always out and about, heavily involved]
that's really all I have to add, he was always a high-character guy & I don't think he'd make something up like this to sell books

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Say what you will about Therrien, but he is the coach with the 4th more wins all time for the Montreal Canadiens. His job was to get results and he got results from a very ordinary roster. He isn't supposed to be their friend. Maybe a few guys on the current team need a bit less of a cheerleader and more of a guy like Therrien. Sometimes wanting to stay on the good side of a guy like that will work wonders on your effort level.

The problem is that Therrien is a hardass for the sake of being a hardass. Number 1, players don't know what they need to do to be on his good side because he's apparently a crappy communicator and number 2, too often it feels like his decisions don't come from a desire to get the most out of everyone but from a desire to stand above everyone, and it shows in his inconsistency. You can be a hard ass coach but there's setting clear lines and expectations and then there's whatever Michel does (I've heard flicking toenails at guys on the bus, which says it all).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad