Confirmed with Link: Daniel Brickley

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Full credit to Blake for bringing in another US College player. He’s been in on a bunch of them over the last year which was something we seldomly saw from Deano.

Iafallo, Petersen and Brickley is a nice haul without having to use draft capital or trading assets.

Star power. If you're a young kid in college and you have a call from Rob Blake, you take the the call. If some dude named dean is on the line, please take a message.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Full credit to Blake for bringing in another US College player. He’s been in on a bunch of them over the last year which was something we seldomly saw from Deano.

Iafallo, Petersen and Brickley is a nice haul without having to use draft capital or trading assets.

Sounded like the Kings made an earnest run at Alex Lyon under DL's watch. Lyon admitted that the Flyers depth chart (Mason/Neuvirth as impending UFAs) was a factor in his decision. It sounds backwards, but sometimes if you're an established club it's a hard sell to (top) college UFAs if you have limited NHL roster spots up for grabs. Understandable since that's the difference between making 900K vs 70K.

And the Kings had a ton of draft picks during the rebuild portion of DL's run. If you're signing your own picks to ELCs, you can creep close to the contract limit and you might not have as many slots for college FAs.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There is a much clearer path to playing time, starting when looking at last year's team, than there was previously.

Iafallo, for instance, has been playing with Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown for most of the season. He's not doing that if he is coming out of college in 2012.

Kudos to Blake though for getting them to sign. Let's hope that these freebies can contribute as much-or more-than Iafallo has. Can really help cover up the 2nd round sins that occurred there for awhile.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

I wonder if this means that he may appear in some games should Gravel struggle.

Since a year of his ELC is automatically burned for just signing, might as well utilize him.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Executive of the Year for signing a college FA, one of the organization's existing prospects and then meeting with another college FA?

No, since he became GM.

Edit: Sorry I wasn't very clear at all. I meant including these new signings with his total body of work.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
No, since he became GM.

The GM award is based on the performance of the team that season, pretty much, and not for "restocking" the prospect pipeline since none of that has actually provided tangible results.

Kings were pegged as a bottom-tier playoff contender/black hole team before the season and that is where we are. There have been no splashy moves to put him in the conversation.

I'd assume that McPhee has it sewn up. He drafted an entire team of outcasts that wound up with 100+ points.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Unpopular opinion around here, but this is why it's important to have guys like Kopitar around even during a retool/rebuild:

"Brickley, who was led on a tour of the team’s offices and facilities by Luc Robitaille, also spent a lot of time with Rob Blake, an integral figure in the team’s courtship. He met quickly with Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty – the latter of whom Brickley has been a huge fan of – and spent time with John Stevens, though the efforts to sign the defenseman weren’t limited to the hockey operations side."

Blake's had a hell of a year and this is just talking about the youngsters, never mind Phaneuf move etc:

"Blake, who has invested significant time rebuilding the team’s prospect pipeline through his first 11 months as general manager, has signed free agent goalies Cal Petersen and Cole Kehler and defensemen Austin Strand and Brickley, while inking organizational prospects Gabriel Vilardi, Jaret Anderson-Dolan and Eyssimont. Widening the team’s pool of young talent was among the endeavors Blake has been heavily invested in, and Brickley’s pursuit was an important part of the continued thrust to rebuild the pipeline. "

All from Rosen.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I think he actually has to dress for a game. I'm trying to find the actual CBA language. I thought Alex Lyon burned a year with the Flyers just by being on the roster, but they might have dressed him as a backup for a game. The Penguins did that with a free agent goalie named Eric Hartzell years ago.

Looks like just signing it is enough:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We spent too much time talking this to death in the roster thread :laugh: I'm going to copy some posts to this one.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
I'm Happy see Blake signing college free agents. The Kings Prospect pool is still pretty weak right now. If Blake holds on to his 1st round picks he can rebuild the Kings System.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Can you refresh our memories? I'm trying to think of an NCAA free agent that we grabbed under Lombardi. Just drawing a blank.

Drewiske, Peter Harrold, Piskula, Teddy Purcell, Corey Elkins, then we were a Cup team with no spots to give away.

Edit: Brian O'Neill, Vinny LoVerde

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2