Waived: Dana Tyrell, Mike Angelidis, Matt Taormina - all cleared

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
J.-M. Liles, Ryan Stanton, Jeff Schultz, Philip Larsen and Alex Sulzer among others put on waivers. Maybe keep an eye on them too.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Can't say these are shocking...I'm more interested in the surplus of several capable forwards, and where they will play (line pairings, Syracuse/Tampa Bay, etc).

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I remember mr nasty shut us down in playoffs setting a dammed record think was downie who finally broke that nonsense up lol

he is 6-6 230 last two years injuries have riddled him but only 27 wondering if he lost all the sandpaper or not?

Hope stevie has a guy watching waivers supplying tape I saw sulzer too but didnt think guy ever played a full season even?

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
It always amazes me that Tyrell never gets picked up off waivers. Surely theres a team in need of a fast young bottom 6 player..

I think I'm one of few that share this opinion

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
J.-M. Liles, Ryan Stanton, Jeff Schultz, Philip Larsen and Alex Sulzer among others put on waivers. Maybe keep an eye on them too.

I would go after Suzer as well. Follow him as German a bit, had a great season last year in Buffalo until he got injured and with all their young defenders in the system there is just no place for him.
Solid in his own zone and showed flashes of good offensive instincts last year.
All the good German defenders (Ehrhoff, Seidenberg) took very long till they became what they are now. Obviously Sulzer is behind them int talent, but IMO he has still all the tools to become a decent bottom pairing guy.
Send Sustr down and take him for a year give him a chance,might kick Aulie out of the team (not high on him) and will be #7 for another year or 2. Which we could need, as Barberio and Sustr will take full spots. Otherwise Korobov could do that job as well.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
It always amazes me that Tyrell never gets picked up off waivers. Surely theres a team in need of a fast young bottom 6 player..

I agree he's a hard working player with some grit and he's still very young.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Philip Larsen, 23 y.o. RHD, is on waivers and sounds like a Yzerplan player. The kid is supposed to be highly intelligent and fast. Is he more ready than Sustr though? I don't know, but we could use some depth at RD. It's something to consider anyway.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/philip_larsen/

Well he really seems to be a Yzerplan guy, smart and fast....
Think we could us him, because if injurys riddle our defenders we get in trouble pretty fast: We have 8 NHL ready defenders, Taormina didn't impress me and I would love to see Cote in an NHL dress, but I remain unsure wether this would be a good idea or not.
So why not send Sustr down and let Larsen be the 8th guy. We really do not lose much other than Vinnik 1m money and the Lightning a pressbox seed if he sucks.
On the other hand it would give us some good NHL caliber depth that would secure us if the obvious guys decide they need a rest and go to hospital.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Why not send Sustr down and let Larsen be the 8th guy. We really do not lose much other than Vinnik 1m money.

On the other hand it would give us some good NHL caliber depth that would secure us if the obvious guys decide they need a rest and go to hospital.

It's only +295k actually. Sustr makes $925,000, Larsen makes $1,150,000, so it would cost us 225k plus Sustr's 70k AHL salary, so +295k total cost. The cap hit for Larsen instead of Sustr actually goes down 325k. I tried to find some decent video of Larsen last night, but didn't find much. I really need to become friends with Nigel, the Lightning's video guy, lol. The Bolts have strong talent evaluators and will likely make a good call on it, so I'm not concerned either way and I do like Sustr a lot.

Larsen is similar to Barbs, not sure if we have need for him

The important bit is Larsen plays right defense, a position we are thin at. If 39 year old Salo gets injured, we are down to two rookies, Gudas and Sustr, who may struggle from lack of xp, and Brewer playing on his offhand. It's just a thin position for us.

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
It's only +295k actually. Sustr makes $925,000, Larsen makes $1,150,000, so it would cost us 225k plus Sustr's 70k AHL salary, so +295k total cost. The cap hit for Larsen instead of Sustr actually goes down 325k. I tried to find some decent video of Larsen last night, but didn't find much. I really need to become friends with Nigel, the Lightning's video guy, lol. The Bolts have strong talent evaluators and will likely make a good call on it, so I'm not concerned either way and I do like Sustr a lot.

The important bit is Larsen plays right defense, a position we are thin at. If 39 year old Salo gets injured, we are down to two rookies, Gudas and Sustr, who may struggle from lack of xp, and Brewer playing on his offhand. It's just a thin position for us.

I like Sustr a lot as well, but I still think he could learn a thing or two in the AHL and absolutly don't want to rush him.
I looked around a bit on Larsen and the Oilers board is not overly happy about him on waivers as he had a pretty strong camp and in their opinion outplayed guys that are still with the team (that Greb.. something guy). They said he brings the puck out of the zone pretty good, either through a good pass or carrying it out and given our transition problems last year, a guy that can do it good can definitly not hurt.
And I mean he is still only 23, as a defender he has quit some years of getting better before him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I share it too. Size concerns I guess? But there are a lot of teams out there that are very thin up front, and he could provide some spark to their lower lines. I thought he did well in his limited time in Tampa, but we have a lot of similar players so he's probably not long for this organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad