Confirmed with Link: Dan Watson named Griffins HC

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nice, he did great consistent work at Toledo. Didn't win Championships, but those regular season records were always good. Did lose twice at Finals.

I don't know about how strong his teams were, were there bigger player budgets on other teams what so ever, and he just lost for better teams. But I like of that consistency.

Players come and go, but every season Watson had at least a .669 team or better.

1686755744063.png

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Nice, he did great consistent work at Toledo. Didn't win Championships, but those regular season records were always good. Did lose twice at Finals.

I don't know about how strong his teams were, were there bigger player budgets on other teams what so ever, and he just lost for better teams. But I like of that consistency.

Players come and go, but every season Watson had at least a .669 team or better.

View attachment 717913
No big budgets allowed in ECHL. The league has a strict weekly salary cap. And it is very, very, very low.

This move seemed destined to happen. It would be great if he brings in a nice offensive concept. But I’m not going to hold my breath. Either way, can’t be any worse than Simon. Hopefully he can get the Griffs back to respectability.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
His job is two parts right now, one being a typical HC, the other is contining to develop Cossa. Got to believe the org liked what they saw with Cossa under Watson's watch.

Should be some decent talent in GR this year, especially if any draftees add to the group.

Be that guy Dan Watson, I believe in you.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Different league totally but everyone that was in Grand Rapids and moved to Toledo did much better.

Toledo's been doing well, much better than Grand Rapids in their respective leagues.

Idk if it was all Watson or just a bad situation vs a good situation but he's done everything right to deserve a shot to mess this up in Grand Rapids.

Toledo still important for development, wonder who they'll hire now. Geeking out a bit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So now the Red Wings Head coach is the former head coach for Watson.... Think this will build nice connections between farm and main team.

For seasons 2014-15 and 2015-16 Toledo coaching staff was:

Season 2022-23 Toledo Coaching staff:

Maybe Bollinger follows him? Has been working on those staffs many years.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Don't know anything about minor league coaches...Quick! Someone tell me how I should feel!

For the remainder of the offseason you should be excited and full of hope. Once the final roster is set after preseason you should feel skepticism and a little bit of disappointment. By the time the first losing streak rolls around you should have your pitchfork in hand.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

View attachment 717913

not really related to Watson but woah just noticed that Buzzsaw of an Idaho team got swept in the finals by a team that was 4th in their own division and barely had a positive goal differential after they beat Toledo

what an upset there

anyways good luck to Watson seems like a solid enough choice

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I would like to read the fine print of Watson's contract. There must be something in there that states that all 2019 and after draftees (except those currently on the roster), must start the year in GR.

Maybe Yzerman thinks this will be a reclamation year for our prospects now that Simon is gone. New coach and new philosophy in the Lalonde school to prepare them for next year.

An awful lot of hurdles with term have been thrown in front of these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad