Player Discussion Dan Girardi Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't even have it out for Girardi specifically. Unfortunately G and Glass have become symbolic for AV's stubbornness. His refusal to hold his guys accountable while messing around with other players is what drives me insane.

Neither player is ever going to walk into his office and say "I suck, x player deserves it over me." You cant blame them personally.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think the thing that pisses me off is how some of the younger fans **** on him. It's not his fault that he's aged. Some of those posters really don't deserve any winning from this team with the lack of respect.

It's time to move on, but some folks are real *******s about him. This is a guy that bleeds blue and did everything the team asked him for years. Busted his ass to even make the NHL. An ounce of respect goes a long way and it's laughable that some can't show it.

Well said.

Some of the comments about Girardi's history here (ineffective player most of his career, career 4th defenseman etc.) are borderline moronic. Of course, I remember the same type of comments about Adam Graves as his career wound down.

New York is a tough town to grow old in.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
These two things don't have to be the same.

You can be thankful for Girardi's service to the Rangers while simultaneously ripping him to shreds because he's been rapidly declining the past two seasons.

Jonathan, not to single you out but I see your post quoted above... it's not like you don't rip on Hank and Eli Manning often. These guys, I'd wager, have given a lot more to their respective teams than Dan Girardi - but you can attack them all you want. That's your prerogative.

I suppose if your main point is that some posters are rewriting history because Girard is bad today, then yes, I understand. But if your point is that we can't rip on the Girardi of today because the Girardi of yesterday was such a warrior for this team, then I do not agree.

Again, please don't take this as a personal attack or call-out towards you. You're just the poster who I see being most vocal about this in here :)

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
If management made sensible decisions, people wouldn't complain about Girardi so much. Management's stubborness creates this situation. Seeing G in the line-up all the time, & getting drenched with puff narratives from MSG propagandists about what a great player he is, leads fans to be cranky.

Of course it's not about him personally. I don't know him personally. Problem is he's always on my hockey team screwing up.

I wsh him the best, and I thank him for entertaining us. I just don't want to see him on the ice anymore.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
People are acting like this guy should get his jersey retired, he was an ineffective player for the majority of his career, and awful since 2013. As a person/ranger, he deserves a lot of love. As a player? Jeez
You are aware that he was regarded as a legit top-pairing shut down defenseman in his prime, yes? One truly wonders if people can recall anything further than two years back.
Mostly because people are now aware of the traits that make defenseman effective.
And what is that? Are we about to lapse into the puck moving defensemen rule the world" discussion?

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can be thankful for Girardi's service to the Rangers while simultaneously ripping him to shreds because he's been rapidly declining the past two seasons.
That is quite a bit different than claiming that he has been an ineffective defenseman for virtually his entire career.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
One wonders how these posters would have viewed Beuk? Or heck, even Scott Stevens.

I mean I can appreciate it was a different era, but to try and discount a guy's career contribution, or how he's put the team above his own health as unimportant, it just really rubs me the wrong way.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
And that is a long way from being ineffective for most of his playing career.

I don't really care what he was regarded as because i have good reason to disagree with it . That being said i'm not asking anyone to disregard what you're saying and just accept he sucks.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For the record, I'm older than God.

I remember vividly Jason Muzzati playing for this team for ****s sake.

He tried to headbutt somebody on the Islanders one time.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Disagree. You can be thankful and respectful and criticize a guy. But you can't respectfully rip a guy to shreds.

Some people only seem to have three modes. Exaggerated praise, indifference, or trashing. Respectful criticism isn't the problem. Disrespectful criticism is.

This isn't directed totally at you, but at a general attitude.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Girardi is a symbol of the problem with the Rangers. Overpaying their own guys. Never mind trading away trade picks for short term gain.
Can't really say it was a bad idea at the time as Rangers have been top contenders in the East for years, but salary cap problems, and declining play of players that can't be traded leads me to believe the Rangers may be out of the playoffs soon.

*Bob Richards*

I was thinking about this the other day. One of my favorite Rangers moments.

INB4 someone posts a turnover. :D

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
You are aware that he was regarded as a legit top-pairing shut down defenseman in his prime, yes? One truly wonders if people can recall anything further than two years back.

And what is that? Are we about to lapse into the puck moving defensemen rule the world" discussion?

I've followed the Rangers since I was six. Girardi was considered great when people though a defenseman's job was "grit". I think a defenseman's job is to prevent scoring chances and dictate play. Girardi has always been awful at that, except for 2 seasons when he was average.

Staal you can make an argument he was actually a top pairing shutdown guy at some point.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Disagree. You can be thankful and respectful and criticize a guy. But you can't respectfully rip a guy to shreds.

Some people only seem to have three modes. Exaggerated praise, indifference, or trashing. Respectful criticism isn't the problem. Disrespectful criticism is.

This isn't directed totally at you, but at a general attitude.

Agreed. Ripping Girardi himself to shreds would be moronic, anyway. It would just prove the point of those that there is a severe lack of respect from some. Ripping on his play is one thing, but the attacks on him are cringe-worthy.

silver doesn't do this, so I echo your last line.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I've followed the Rangers since I was six. Girardi was considered great when people though a defenseman's job was "grit". I think a defenseman's job is to prevent scoring chances and dictate play. Girardi has always been awful at that, except for 2 seasons when he was average.

Staal you can make an argument he was actually a top pairing shutdown guy at some point.

Yeah, no. :rolleyes:

I don't think you know what the word "average" means. He's been average many seasons and very good a few. Followed by the decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad