Dan Girardi: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think everyone can agree that G is pretty poor at getting shots through to the net. However, he's sneakily very good at pinching in the zone and always finds a way to get back to his position

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
This article is going to be absolutely demolished by the stats contingent on HF.

And rightfully so, for parts of it.

Either way, I've got my popcorn ready.

Honestly don't care anymore. I'm not going to spend another 40 pages arguing about the same crap. If people think this article is a good argument in favor of Girardi then :biglaugh:

I will say lol@THW. If I started a website and didn't tell anyone here, then write an article that says Girardi is a bottom pairing defenseman, using statistics, everyone would say the site is amateur and the writers are idiots. However this site is credible because they took the safest and easiest stance you could possibly take on Girardi, and cherry picked Youtube clips. Hits and blocks are good!

Also, wasn't pld just complaining on page 40 about someone using two examples of Girardi's poor gap control as proof that his gap control is bad? I'm sure he is okay with this guy posting 3 Youtube videos though to prove a point. If you have to go to Youtube clips to make your argument look better, it's already really bad to begin with. You can pull Youtube clips on almost any player and make them look like an all-star or garbage.

For instance "Dan Girardi embarrasses Ovechkin" is the video in his article, okay, how about this one:

Ovechkin embarrasses McDonagh, Girardi and Lundqvist. Wow, these 3 guys are ****ing trash. Bury them in Hartford. :laugh: :help:

I am now as credible as THW's contributor Steven "Youtube" Loffredo.

Girardi has proven to be an effective defenseman as the Rangers have now made deep post-season runs in back-to-back seasons; so I say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

lmfao I hope they aren't paying this clown.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Honestly don't care anymore. I'm not going to spend another 40 pages arguing about the same crap. If people think this article is a good argument in favor of Girardi then :biglaugh:

I will say lol@THW. If I started a website and didn't tell anyone here, then write an article that says Girardi is a bottom pairing defenseman, using statistics, everyone would say the site is amateur and the writers are idiots. However this site is credible because they took the safest and easiest stance you could possibly take on Girardi, and cherry picked Youtube clips. Hits and blocks are good!

Also, wasn't pld just complaining on page 40 about someone using two examples of Girardi's poor gap control as proof that his gap control is bad? I'm sure he is okay with this guy posting 3 Youtube videos though to prove a point. If you have to go to Youtube clips to make your argument look better, it's already really bad to begin with. You can pull Youtube clips on almost any player and make them look like an all-star or garbage.

For instance "Dan Girardi embarrasses Ovechkin" is the video in his article, okay, how about this one:

Ovechkin embarrasses McDonagh, Girardi and Lundqvist. Wow, these 3 guys are ****ing trash. Bury them in Hartford. :laugh: :help:

And you're saying that the pro-Girardi people cherry pick stats and youtube clips but the anti-Girardi people don't?

It's like some people like Fox News and some people like MSNBC--though there are those who don't like either.

Anyways that goal Ovie scores is just a fantastic effort on his part--not really that a Rangers player made some horrible play on it--and after which he didn't score a point in the next four games--mainly facing the same McDonagh-Girardi pairing with Henrik still in goal.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
And you're saying that the pro-Girardi people cherry pick stats and youtube clips but the anti-Girardi people don't?

It's like some people like Fox News and some people like MSNBC--though there are those who don't like either.

Never said that they didn't, two wrongs don't make a right though? :teach:

Anyways that goal Ovie scores is just a fantastic effort on his part--not really that a Rangers player made some horrible play on it

Without commenting on the deflection portion of this post, thank you for proving my point further that a Youtube clip is irrelevant and can be spun to fit any agenda.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Never said that they didn't, two wrongs don't make a right though? :teach:

Without commenting on the deflection portion of this post, thank you for proving my point further that a Youtube clip is irrelevant and can be spun to fit any agenda.

On the two wrongs and two rights--usually when one side of some view comes out an opposite view is going to follow closely. As far as right and wrong--most things anyway these kind of judgements are absolutely arbitrary. What was cool 20 years ago can look pretty ****** today and vice versa--what's cool today wouldn't pass the smell test then. Personally I don't look at this carping over whether Girardi is a good player as a right or wrong thing. People have opinions. I think he's a good player---you don't. So what?

The second part I agree with completely. Girardi's played 651 regular season games and 108 playoff games. Finding a youtube clip of him making a great play or a dog **** play is not really very hard at all to do but all in all it's only a great way to make a weak argument. And it's not just with Girardi--it's with almost anyone that's played more than 50 NHL games.

The main reason I linked the story was--1. it showed up today on my front page and 2. this article seemed to be contrary to what some other writers into the advance stats POV--such as you see on Blueshirt banter and 3. the debate had picked up right here once again.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

I'm pounding Soda right now. I came here to see what God's take was on Dan Girardi. Apparently he returned to the ether outside the cone of the Big Bang.

Anyway, cherry picking is not only accomplished by video [as the author did], but also via Excel [via HF Boards].

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Dactyl

Players have a lot more freedom when Girardi's on the ice therefore take a lot more chances.

Game dynamics change from line to line along with D pairings. Do I really need to go into roles and who's on the ice at certain times in a game for you?

They cannot take more chances if they are pinned in their own end while hes on the ice.

I know who is on the ice with Girardi. That cart listed his most common linemates 1-21 (1st being McD and 21st being Hayes. He gets too much time with top 6 players for my liking. It is a waste of their talent since they spend most of their shift pinned in their zone because Girardi cannot handle the players he is being matched up against and he cannot skate the puck out or make a solid breakout pass.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I did not say that at all. I stated the fact that Girardi has been scored on more than just about every dman to play for the Rangers over the last 5 years.

So if the opposing team is on the PP, wins a faceoff and throws a stretch pass past McD (because we didn't see that at all this year smh)and scores it's Girardi's fault? I see. He's the only one that gets blamed around here

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
So if the opposing team is on the PP, wins a faceoff and throws a stretch pass past McD (because we didn't see that at all this year smh)and scores it's Girardi's fault? I see. He's the only one that gets blamed around here

I only counted even strength numbers

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Using your eyes how many times did this happen?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
They cannot take more chances if they are pinned in their own end while hes on the ice.

I know who is on the ice with Girardi. That cart listed his most common linemates 1-21 (1st being McD and 21st being Hayes. He gets too much time with top 6 players for my liking. It is a waste of their talent since they spend most of their shift pinned in their zone because Girardi cannot handle the players he is being matched up against and he cannot skate the puck out or make a solid breakout pass.

Plus 5 in the playoffs. What does that tell you??

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Anyways that goal Ovie scores is just a fantastic effort on his part--not really that a Rangers player made some horrible play on it--and after which he didn't score a point in the next four games--mainly facing the same McDonagh-Girardi pairing with Henrik still in goal.

Amazing all star goal. It's Ovechkin! I still blame Lundqvist for standing there like a deer in the headlights.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Let's stop asking each other if we watch games. I think it's established.

The eye test people are the ones who ask if we watch games....just because someone uses advanced statistics it apparently means they don't watch the game of hockey. That's a pretty flawed logic to use if you ask me. :dunno:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The eye test people are the ones who ask if we watch games....just because someone uses advanced statistics it apparently means they don't watch the game of hockey. That's a pretty flawed logic to use if you ask me. :dunno:

A single person asks you a question if you actually watch the games and you morph that person into the hundreds/thousands/millions who have some questions about the validity and/or use of advanced stats.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
A single person asks you a question if you actually watch the games and you morph that person into the hundreds/thousands/millions who have some questions about the validity and/or use of advanced stats.

Not my problem if you look at someone using advanced stats and you completely ignore their argument.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not my problem if you look at someone using advanced stats and you completely ignore their argument.

Not my problem either.

The point is that post of yours--#22--makes out like everyone and anyone who doesn't put all their credence into these stats that some like yourself do are out to persecute those who do with questions of whether or not they watch the games--which is a pretty big exaggeration on the one hand and the other thing is why does it even matter to you that much whether someone thinks you're watching the games or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad