Dan Cloutier or Kelly Hrudey

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
As others have said, it's Hrudey by a mile. But in fairness to Cloutier, would you rather break into the league with the mid-80s Islanders or the late-90s Lightning?

Hrudey was putting up better numbers with the Sharks at age 37 than Cloutier was with the Kings at 31. That was the end of my faith in Dave Taylor, that last Cloutier contract. Yeesh.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Yea, your post caught me off guard. I grew up a Gretzky-era Kings fan, and while I lay many of those teams' failures at his feet, he could never be accused of being an a-hole like many a netmibder before him and since. I get that being a dick is part of the assumed quirks of the position, but aside from trying to look like a member of an '80s hair band, Hrudey seems like a good dude.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Yea, your post caught me off guard. I grew up a Gretzky-era Kings fan, and while I lay many of those teams' failures at his feet, he could never be accused of being an a-hole like many a netmibder before him and since. I get that being a dick is part of the assumed quirks of the position, but aside from trying to look like a member of an '80s hair band, Hrudey seems like a good dude.

You've got a weird impression of goaltenders - I don't think that goalies are more "a-holeish" than other positions.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
You've got a weird impression of goaltenders - I don't think that goalies are more "a-holeish" than other positions.

Maybe not a-holes, but their oddball behavior seems to be more accepted. I don't think I'm making too bold of a statement.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
"Oddballs" is not a weird claim. The leap from "oddball" to "a-hole" is a weird one, and brushing it off like that's an obvious step to make is also a weird choice to make.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... huh? you do realize I'm an old goalie right? :laugh: .... "eccentric's" yes, it takes certain personality type's, traits to want to even face that kind of pressure & sure enough, some can come across at times as you speak. they/we all deal with the pressures & expectations, the demands differently. some sullen, quiet, even angry or contemptuous of their teammates who they dont think up to par & liabilities & as such have caused & likely will cause them more embarrassment on the ice with for the goalie nowhere to hide. Or towards cocky or over aggressive opponents, dumb reporters etc.

From Sawchuk to Belfour & Barrasso, Roy I do think an a-hole on & off the ice but thats me, a few others mebbe. Very rare though. Wouldnt call them all a-holes though sure, sometimes bad behaviour. People gonna be people. You dont get far in hockey as a goalie if you dont have a somewhat self deprecating & gallows/sardonic sense of humor about things, life & people. The guts to look in the mirror & correct the mistakes, faults in your game and a lot of that is mental beyond the fundamentals, the physical side, technique etc. Hafta be a fighter & resilient. things you dont usually find overflowing on the shelves in the home or mind of an a-hole MIA. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor No

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
From Sawchuk to Belfour & Barrasso, Roy

....Hasek and reporters, Brodeur and in-laws, Fuhr and drugs, Lundqvist and teammates....

seems like there aren't many "Sakics" amongst those historically elite at the position

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
seems like there aren't many "Sakics" amongst those historically elite at the position

No offense intended, but there aren't many "Sakics" at any position.

And I'd look harder at Sakic, by the way (this coming from an Avalanche fan). His record's not clean. If you apply the same standards to non-goalies that you're applying to goalies, you're going to go home disappointed with the entire sport.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
....Hasek and reporters, Brodeur and in-laws, Fuhr and drugs, Lundqvist and teammates....

.... :laugh: meh... big deal. Give me a guy with some "attitude" any day. Colorful. **** happens sometimes MIA. People are going to be people. No ones perfect, a paragon of virtue... though many have been placed on just such a pedestal. Syl Apps for example.

Reactions: Doctor No

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'd rather not mention that on at least one occasion, we used a frozen horse puck as an actual puck.

Johnny Bower used to like to tell people that as well, and how nasty it was if you took one in the mouth.... and so.... being the Hellions that we were..... you betcha.... same thing..... On Frozen Pond... rural..... wasnt cow droppings, no cattle nearby.... Muskrat, Duck & Goose.... variety of sizes, frozen states..... disgusting of course.... kids. :shakehead

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hrudey. This is like asking, "which is the better scotch: Macallan 18 or Dewar's?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad