Dan Cleary question

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Did we dodge a bullet by him stiffing us in training camp? He makes $1,750,000 and is a 4th liner. I admittedly don't watch many Wings games so I really don't know what he brings other than his 3 goals and 3 assists. What do you guys think?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes, Cleary would have been a disaster here. He would have probably kept Raffl in the AHL or meant they didn't trade Talbot for Downie.

He can't skate anymore.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I was thinking about Raffl being stuck in AHL also. The Talbot trade may have still happened but this team is committed to Rinaldo so if Cleary were here we might be way worse!

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Yes. I was excited when I heard that he signed with Detroit. Everything I've seen and heard about his season says he's been a disaster so it probably would have been even worse than I was imagining.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cleary gets so much ice time despite been toast that it almost makes me feel bad for Detroit fans.

Almost. :laugh:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah I think we did. I wasn't necessarily opposed to the idea of Cleary, but I'm definitely not sweating the fact that he signed elsewhere.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, he's pretty awful. I'm glad that he had a change of heart and went back to the only coach in the NHL that would still give him consistent minutes. Seriously, those two are like long lost lovers with how much time Cleary gets on that team.

RJ8812*

I personally don't even think we offered him that contract because there's no way he would pass it up for the contract he signed with DET

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Definitely dodged a major bullet there. Guy is horrible and doesn't really have a legitimate use on an NHL roster plus it might have meant Raffl not making the team at least not at first. Or at least would have taken someone's spot.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
I personally don't even think we offered him that contract because there's no way he would pass it up for the contract he signed with DET

he said in HBO 24/7 that we offered him a contract

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
We didn't really dodge a bullet. The contract was contingent on him making the team. They could have cut him during training camp and they saw he sucked and they wouldn't have been on the hook for anything.

CavemanLawyer

Feb 22, 2006
Ocean City, MD

He got offered the contract but he never wanted to go anywhere but Detroit. The minute he was offered it he called Detroit to get negotiations going. Detroit then threw him an offer and he started negotiating with Detroit while toying with Philly to constantly use them in the negotiations. Never came out and said it but his comments after he signed in Detroit ("I never actually wanted to go anywhere else", etc) all reek of someone who was negotiating in bad faith with Philly. Homer and Hextall knew something was up and they even had some choice words after the whole saga because it really backed them into a corner because they just burned Gagne in the media, so that bridge was burned, so they had no where to turn to but internal. Flyers were used as just a tool to get him the contract in Detroit. So whenever you hear "Oh team XYZ has no loyalty to their players!" - many players also have no loyalty to teams. If you remember Cleary was working the media about how great Philly and the Flyers are, yada yada- all bull **** to try and get his lover to come screaming "DON'T LEAVE". And Detroit for some reason did just that.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Cleary pulled the Weber special. He used one team as leverage to get the deal he really wanted. The only difference is that I really feel like Cleary wanted to be in Detroit all along, whereas Weber would have been fine in either city.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
OMG you guys have no idea. I might nominate him for worst regularly rostered player in the leauge. And I am not joking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad