Prospect Info: Dan Catenacci (2011, 77th) – '16-'17: Rochester #43 (AHL), Re-signed, 1 year, 2-way

acfurino

May 4, 2010
Whatsup Sabres fans,

I've had Catenacci on my fantasy hockey keeper team and im hoping u guys can give me information and your opinions about him...

1) How did he play and how did he look this year?

2) Whats his future/potential? Also estimated time of arrival in NHL?

Info and your opinions will b greatly appreciated...

-Tony

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Others can say much more about his play this year than I can, but in my limited viewings I see a future third-liner who can chip in some offensively and play a chippy, all-around game. I project that he's a regular by 2015-16 with one full year of seasoning in the AHL next year and a year as one of the top call-ups in 2014-15. I'm excited to see how he performs in Rochester next year, though, and I'm sure that'll tell us a lot more about his future potential.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It'll be interesting to see how he progresses, he could end up being a real steal or he may never see the NHL. I wonder if they'll play him at wing or center in the AHL? He could be a Grabber type with all of that straight line speed. He'd probably be the fastest Sabre already. Earliest I see him being in the NHL is midway through next year if injuries strike, but more likely the year after.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I've said it a few times:

I see a lot of Darren Helm in Catenacci. Smallish, fast, tenacious. Capable of chipping in 10 G and 30 pts. Should be a good-to-great PKer.

A line of Girgensons-Larsson-Catenacci makes me drool at the thought.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Where does Catenacci fit?

He's been a prospect I've been excited about for some time. He was a pretty prolific scorer in the OHL as well as a fiesty player.

Is he in the mix at center in Rochester? Or is he moved to wing his likely spot if he makes the NHL? Either way I see him as one of the first call ups.

Long term I see him as a depth scorer 2nd/3rd line winger depending on the setup.

Thoughts?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Third line speedster who can forecheck and put up 30ish points well being defensive responsible in a few years. Maybe 40 points in a highlight year

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
So, Brian Flynn?

Flynn is not nearly as good defensively IMO and Cat is an antagonizing player when out on the ice. Similar to Ott/Kaleta and puts up quite a bit of PM as well. I'd say he has similar upside to Steve Ott and his floor is about that of Kaleta.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Flynn is not nearly as good defensively IMO and Cat is an antagonizing player when out on the ice. Similar to Ott/Kaleta and puts up quite a bit of PM as well. I'd say he has similar upside to Steve Ott and his floor is about that of Kaleta.

I think Flynn is pretty solid defensively. Not as good as Cat, but solid. I think he gets overlooked here. He was one of the few bright spots last season.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
He definitely has the speed and defensive awareness for center.

I think he is 2nd/3rd line eventually with the Sabres as well. I'd expect 40-50 points out of him with the potential for a bit more at the high point. He will be defensively sound.

I'm curious to hear the comparisons to JT Compher as I've seen way more than I wanted to of Catenacci this year (mostly because the Attack were more exciting then the Sabres most nights), but haven't seen much of Compher.

To me Catenacci is faster, better defensively, more physical, similar build, maybe less offence and a bit less intense (if possible). Correct? Who projects to be the better player?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Where does he fit in? Perhaps the overhead compartment. :biglaugh:

It'll be interesting to see what the do with him in Rochester.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Where does he fit in? Perhaps the overhead compartment. :biglaugh:

It'll be interesting to see what the do with him in Rochester.

Yes it will be.

Who is the current group of possible centers for the Amerks?

Girgs, Cat, Larsson (likely with Sabres), Sundher (another fav of mine), Schaller and thats all I can think of.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Cat, Girgensons, Larsson, Compher, Kea

Pick any three, throw them together, and you will have got yourself a damn good defensive line in a few years :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
In an ideal world, he becomes our answer to Marchand/Gallagher. A speedy, pesky player who has a nose for the net and agitates the **** out of opponents.

I think he'll be a wing at the NHL level.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
In an ideal world, he becomes our answer to Marchand/Gallagher. A speedy, pesky player who has a nose for the net and agitates the **** out of opponents.

I think he'll be a wing at the NHL level.

Thats my thinking as well.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Others have said much of this already, but I see him as a fast, responsible, chippy winger on a checking 3rd line. I imagine in Rochester they give him top-six minutes to explore if he has more upside than that, though, and they may give him a shot at center, too.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I stick with projecting him as ideally a 3rd line Helm type w/ better hands. We'll see how he adjusts to the AHL level before I revisit that. There's always a chance he can be a top 6 winger but it's doubtful imo.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
For what it's worth, I really liked what I saw out of the kid the couple games I watched him play in Rochester.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I have only seen him on tv-maybe 12-14 times. He seemed to be a gamer with some wheels but undersized and not a natural goal scorer.. I just do not see him as anything but scratching to be a third liner.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Yes it will be.

Girgs, Cat, Larsson (likely with Sabres), Sundher (another fav of mine), Schaller and thats all I can think of.
Varone is under contract too.
I think they will trade Luke Adam.
Colin Jacobs can play center..

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Girgensons is just as likely to play center as winger in Rochester this year, imo.

Edit: Sorry, for some reason I didn't see him on the list

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Yes it will be.

They could put Ellis at center if they wanted to (though I'd keep him at wing and let the young developing guys get the center ice playing time). We'll see what happens with Porter/McCormick at the NHL level too. And I suppose they could bring Schofield back (or a different vet).

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
He doesn't have much value really. He will be playing in the AHL or ECHL for a while. I would give him 2-4 years to make his NHL debut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad