The Players' Tribune: Dan Carcillo - I Can't Live Like That Anymore/Nick Boynton - Everything's Not OK

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I Can't Live Like That Anymore | By Daniel Carcillo

Fair warning in the video, some NSFW language.

Pretty sobering watch. Say what you will about Carcillo and the role he played on the ice, but I feel for him and anyone who is only just realizing the potential consequences of these head injuries. I also admire that he's willing to push to try and get his fellow players the necessary help they need.

EDIT: Also saw Nick Boynton released an article around the same time about his struggles since he's retired.

Everything's Not O.K. | By Nick Boynton

Reactions: Pocket Hercules

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
yeah, no sympathy for Carcillo. For someone who scrambled as many brains as he did as a player, its called karma.

Additionally, lets stop the nonsense that they didnt know cracking someone in the head is bad for that person's health.

What an awful thing to say. I'm appalled.

He's owned up to the fact that he delivered traumatic injury to others. He says he'd undo it all. He sounds like a guy who is learning. I won't defend his previous actions, but he's not wrong that information is being withheld. To simplify it as you have is totally disingenuous.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
yeah, no sympathy for Carcillo. For someone who scrambled as many brains as he did as a player, its called karma.

Additionally, lets stop the nonsense that they didnt know cracking someone in the head is bad for that person's health.

^Was just gonna say, I wonder how many concussions Carcillo caused others.

Good on him to at least own up to it and try to better himself, I guess, instead of putting 100% of the blame on the league.

Each player should have obviously known the risks going in, same as any other contact sport.
Kind of agree with the both of you. I also question how he goes about it. He pushes it on everyone in every situation he can, situations that often are completely unrelated to concussions etc. He replies to tweets often by «hockey people»that doesnt have anything to do with hockey and post links about this stuff and is just all over the place with it.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...with-concussion-related-tweets-links.2469293/

Reactions: shello

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What an awful thing to say. I'm appalled.

He's owned up to the fact that he delivered traumatic injury to others. He says he'd undo it all. He sounds like a guy who is learning. I won't defend his previous actions, but he's not wrong that information is being withheld. To simplify it as you have is totally disingenuous.

I have a problem with players like a Carcillo coming out after they’ve made all the money they could and looking for people to feel sorry for them once their career is over. He’s learning what exactly now that his career is over?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I really don't agree with the firs statement, but the second one is absolutely correct. It hasn't been a secret that causing repeated head injury might be bad long term.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
He's learning about the impact of traumatic head injuries. How is that not obvious?

because its so disingenuous its ridiculous.

these guys are not idiots...no one needs to be told that giving someone a head injury is bad for their health. And those that claim they didnt know are simply deflecting blame.

"Im not a bad guy, I had no idea giving someone a brain injury was bad for their health"

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I really don't agree with the firs statement, but the second one is absolutely correct. It hasn't been a secret that causing repeated head injury might be bad long term.

The extent of just how bad and likelihood of it happening have been secret though - and when that secret started spilling, some people tried to force it back into the box.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Some real top notch responses to start this thread. How many men do you know that take mental health seriously, acknowledge mental health problems as a real thing, talk about it openly? This whole "they should've known the risks" thing is a total farce. I guarantee you a guy like Carcillo didn't know the extent of the anxiety/depression/offshoots of those things he'd be giving to guys by being an enforcer (or laying dirty hits, sure). One of the reasons he's likely trying to make changes now is because he's had to live through all of this himself, and see what it's done to guys he was close to. None of this means you have to think he's a great guy, but at least he's trying to raise awareness and stir some change.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Pretty ridiculous takes in this thread, but shouldn't be surprised. It is the main board after all.

It's pretty evident that players will do whatever it takes to stay on the ice if they feel fine in the short term. Even take a look in Boynton's case in his article, when he finally worked up the courage to tell his management team the problems he was having, they traded him not long after. He then felt it was necessary to clam up and hide everything to prevent that from occurring again.

You know why these guys are going and pushing for help after they've retired? Because their careers and lives after playing the sport are affected. They're unable to control their emotions on a daily basis to their loved ones because of the trauma their brain has experienced. Their friends are f***ing dying. There are better methods of treatment for these injuries that the league is clearly not acknowledging or willing to accept in fear it will turn people away from the sport.

This isn't simply the case of guys trying to win a lawsuit against the league, they want to help their fellow players and prevent any further deaths from the aftermath of head injuries.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
because its so disingenuous its ridiculous.

these guys are not idiots...no one needs to be told that giving someone a head injury is bad for their health. And those that claim they didnt know are simply deflecting blame.

"Im not a bad guy, I had no idea giving someone a brain injury was bad for their health"
*Facepalm*

That's not what he's doing. He's not deflecting blame. He accepted blame. Again, your oversimplification is wholly disingenuous.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
How can players not know it, when we all know it? Stop taking headshots at eachother, and start taking care of yourselves.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The extent of just how bad and likelihood of it happening have been secret though - and when that secret started spilling, some people tried to force it back into the box.
I have a really hard time believing any adult with a decent amount of education didn't know that taking repeated head trauma was likely to cause really bad concussion issues.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I have a really hard time believing any adult with a decent amount of education didn't know that taking repeated head trauma was likely to cause really bad concussion issues.

Exactly

Like I know that if I'm a boxer, getting punched in the head doesn't make me feel good. And if the promoter says "oh you don't have to worry", I'm not going to believe him
And if I choose to work in a coal mine, I know that breathing in that stuff isn't good for me. Even if my employer says "that dust isn't a big deal" I'm also not going to believe them either.

I'm glad Carcillo is coming out and showing remorse, but there's a part of me that think he's doing all this to somehow stay relevant in a place that has long since forgotten about him

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I really don't understand the hate toward Carcillo... He knows he played like an absolute jackass, he's seeing the effects of that behavior and I think that he is honestly remorseful. I truly believe that he didn't know the extent to which these types of injuries affected someone's life, or the frequency at which these injuries would occur.

Reactions: Harpo

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Despite the fact that they likely believe they're getting the right treatment in the short term from their team's medical staff as they play and not experiencing any immediate symptoms? And yet only now that so much has come to the forefront in the last 5-10 years, realizing that they're now way more susceptible to way worse diseases as they get older?

People really need to stop acting like this was always common sense when it wasn't. I'm willing to bet the overwhelming majority of players put the trust in their team's medical staff as they're under the impression that they're receiving the proper care for any injury they have. Until recently, it's quite clear that they weren't.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Look no further than the DoPS. They still allow some headshots and the league is still denying that head trauma causes CTE and other issues. Well he hit his shoulder then contacted the head so it is fine. I'm 29 and have had multiple concussions over the years, when I read these stories about the depression, anxiety and anger it makes sense. I certainly haven't taken as many hits as those guys but to think I could develop CTE is absolutely terrifying.

Reactions: JerseyMike34

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
How can players not know it, when we all know it? Stop taking headshots at eachother, and start taking care of yourselves.

This is totally missing the point though. Do we all know it? Do we all know what a deep, pervasive depression or anxiety is like? Widespread mental health education is still in such a stage of infancy, and I really doubt that the majority of people, let alone NHL players, understand it. All adults know that head trauma = problems. No one is denying that. But it's nothing to understand that concussions are "bad." Knowing that really doesn't mean anything. I don't think you can truly know or understand the actual problems you get from them without experiencing them to the extent that these players are.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Those are always tough to watch.

Just makes me that much sicker to my stomach when someone today looks at what Wilson does on a regular basis and not only defends it but calls it a strong hockey play.

Carcillo is just another witness in the multi-million dollar lawsuit that's coming the NHLs way one of these days.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
In today's day and age, I would agree...

However, even 10 years ago we knew a lot less about concussions that we do now. The issue is that many people did not understand the extent and severity of which these injuries affected people. It's pretty easy to connect the dots by saying sports injuries will lead to issues later in life, I don't think it's outrageous to say that people didn't expect head injuries to lead to severe clinical depression and even suicidal tendencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad