OT: Dan Boyle's exit in Tampa Bay

snizzbone*

Was just randomly reading Dan Boyle's wikipedia page and I noticed something odd about how he was 'sent out' of Tampa. He hurt his wrist in training camp, and then came back later in the year and put up 25 points in 37 games (holy crap). He was then signed longterm by Tampa. Now here is the funny part, quoted from wikipedia:

Despite coming off a recent contract extension with the Lightning, on July 4, 2008, Boyle was traded, along with Brad Lukowich, to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Matt Carle, Ty Wishart, a first-round draft pick in 2009 and a fourth-round draft pick in 2010. Boyle was pressured to waive his no-trade clause by Tampa Bay's new ownership, who said they would otherwise place him on waivers, where he would likely be claimed by the Atlanta Thrashers. Already knowing Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Evgeni Nabokov, Boyle agreed to be traded to the Sharks

Why? Was this ownership just not wanting to pay him? This is the same year you guys got Stamkos so I am assuming they were expecting to lose a lot that year and would rather not pay for Boyle?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
This was the clowns Oren Koules, and the more likely culprit, Len Barrie. Len irrationally hated Dan Boyle from their days playing together with the Panthers when Boyle was nowhere near as good as he was for the Lightning. It was personal and it was totally ********.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Was just randomly reading Dan Boyle's wikipedia page and I noticed something odd about how he was 'sent out' of Tampa. He hurt his wrist in training camp, and then came back later in the year and put up 25 points in 37 games (holy crap). He was then signed longterm by Tampa. Now here is the funny part, quoted from wikipedia:

Why? Was this ownership just not wanting to pay him? This is the same year you guys got Stamkos so I am assuming they were expecting to lose a lot that year and would rather not pay for Boyle?

the ownership then was just plain stupid enough said they hired barry melrose to coach their team that says it all. Ok hockey led by oren koules was a train wreak! Forgot to include len barrie! but enough said thank goodness they ran out of money and sold to jeff vinik!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Trading a #1 defender in his prime set this team back so many years it's not even funny.

Boyle wasn't fully replaced until Hedman broke out last year.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Always wondered how that 2011 run might have gone better with Boyle on our blue line.

Forging a solid defense has been one of Yzerman's most persistent struggles until this years acquisitions, and not through lack of trying. He's thrown a lot of **** at the wall hoping some of it would stick. How different that part of the transformation may have gone had he inherited Boyle. I realize there would have been other differences in who he was able to sign had Boyle still been here. But fully agree with Sky04 that Boyle's impact on our defense wasn't fully replaced until this year.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
back than on the radio ... the news .. everywhere.

it was well known that the Lightning could not keep all 4 stars because of finances.

Richards, Boyle, lecavalier and Kabbibulan

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I harbor no ill will toward the guy, and think it's a shame how he was basically forced out... but I'll harbor a ton if we can't win game 6 or 7:laugh:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Always wondered how that 2011 run might have gone better with Boyle on our blue line.

Forging a solid defense has been one of Yzerman's most persistent struggles until this years acquisitions, and not through lack of trying. He's thrown a lot of **** at the wall hoping some of it would stick. How different that part of the transformation may have gone had he inherited Boyle. I realize there would have been other differences in who he was able to sign had Boyle still been here. But fully agree with Sky04 that Boyle's impact on our defense wasn't fully replaced until this year.
Hedman the way he skates and moves has replaced Boyle yep it took till last season.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Trading a #1 defender in his prime set this team back so many years it's not even funny.

Boyle wasn't fully replaced until Hedman broke out last year.

Given that Boyle was a right-handed beast on the power play, we still haven't fully replaced him yet and may not until DeAngelo fully develops.

And yeah if we had him in 2011 we probably win the cup. Though our PP was pretty awesome then anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad