Dan Boyle Mod post #696

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Boyle wasn't that good last year (decent 4/5). This is a continuation of his aging (now a 5/6).

He was more than good in the playoffs during 2014-2015.

Again, another 79 games to be played...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
In a normal situation, a 15 year old NHL veteran would be trusted to play his way out of it.

I guess, idk I think the scratch is justified.

And if there was ever a game to experiment with McIlrath in the lineup, it's this one. Klein's playing very well and they're playing a really rugged out-of-conference team early in the year.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He's been bad. Scratching him based on play alone would not be unjustified by any means. However he is a vet and AV puts as much stock in that as anyone. It definitely is a little odd that he's sitting this soon though this is a different look this year in that our 7D needs games and we can't just throw him out there 10 times a year when someone is hurt.

Also, not sure what it's worth but both brooks and gross wrote about Boyle as if his job is in question.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's been bad. Scratching him based on play alone would not be unjustified by any means. However he is a vet and AV puts as much stock in that as anyone. It definitely is a little odd that he's sitting this soon though this is a different look this year in that our 7D needs games and we can't just throw him out there 10 times a year when someone is hurt.

Also, not sure what it's worth but both brooks and gross wrote about Boyle as if his job is in question.

And, maybe it should be. There are also signs from other sources that seem to indicate this.

In non-power play/empty net to tie the game situations, I trust both McIlrath and Klein more than Boyle at this point.

He had a great career, but when your time is up it's up. It's hard to be 40 years old and be a good top4D in the current NHL with all the speed and physicality in the game today.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

AV gives these situations a shot at redemption and Boyle will get his. MDZ did not respond, Pouliot did, for example.

Boyle was a puck carrier earlier in his career. AV wants puck movers. Play defense and get the puck up to your forwards ASAP. Seems theres an ideological divide. It would be much easier to deal with if Boyle wasnt 39 years old and showing concrete signs of regression to his overall game.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
And, maybe it should be.

In non-power play/empty net to tie the game situations, I trust both McIlrath and Klein more than Boyle at this point.

He had a great career, but when your time is up it's up. It's hard to be 40 years old and be a good top4D in the current NHL with all the speed and physicality in the game today.

This continues to be a stupid thing to say until he can prove it. He gets his first chance tonight.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This continues to be a stupid thing to say until he can prove it. He gets his first chance tonight.

Maybe I shouldv'e said McIlrath/Diaz and perhaps even a prospective RHD which is what I really meant.

Anyway, this is the cap era. ELC McIlrath is simply more valuable than Boyle @ 4.5 right now.

And, honestly, if Dylan can't at least replace the minutes and 'defense' Boyle provided, this team probably isn't a cup team at that point.

Boyle makes a living on the PP. His 20 points can easily be replaced. Can he put up 40 points this year? And, while doing so, not be such a liability so as to actually have him in the lineup...not sure honestly.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'll speculate away, MSL not re-signed, Faith no more, preseason, AV little chat, not good first couple games, ranked 6th 5on5 ice time & 1 shot on goal & 4 pims in 3 games, worst shooting fancy stats among D, healthy scratch, Klein practicing on PP, NMC, plus 35 contract, oldest D in league.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Of all our D-men, there is one who has a 5v5 GF% of 63%. The rest is all less than 60.

I like picking cherries too.

2015 playoff GF%:
Yandle: 76.92
Girardi: 56.67
McDonagh: 54.17
Klein: 50%
Boyle: 41.18%

2015 point production
Stralman: 39 points
Girardi: 20 points
Staal: 20 points
Boyle: 20 points

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
At this stage of his career I have no faith whatsoever that Dan Boyle will right his own ship. It's not his fault he got old. It happens to the best of players.

The fear I have is watching AV try to let the old man work his way out of this funk.

He's been fading for a few years now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At this stage of his career I have no faith whatsoever that Dan Boyle will right his own ship. It's not his fault he got old. It happens to the best of players.

The fear I have is watching AV try to let the old man work his way out of this funk.

He's been fading for a few years now.

Boyle potentially finding his game is worth the risk. I doubt this is the last we see of him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Boyle was way ahead of those guys in points per 60 so the second one isn't really fair.

True, i admitted my stats were cherry picked (then again, so were OP's...). Still, theres absolutely no excuse for Boyle to not outscore Girardi and Staal in 65 games. Looking at 5v5 production rate is overanalyzing it.

We were lucky enough to be an elite scoring team and presidents trophy team and not rely on those missing ~20-25 points from Boyle that might have been the difference in playoffs/home ice advantage.

No one ever seems to mention that when talking about Boyle. I guess were spoiled and take it for granted.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Dyaln did not play badly. We let up 4 goals. He was not on the ice for any of them. He had not played in a game in 2 weeks. I thought he did fine. I'm not down on Dylan. I think Dylan and Boyle could both help us in different ways this season.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
Wanting Boyle back in the lineup is just shuffling chairs on a sinking ship. The issues with our power play (which is really the one reason we have him) goes beyond whether Boyle is playing or not. Defensively he's too damn slow and I think the 6th defenseman spot is practically being handed to McIlrath if he can come good on it.

I think the fact is that we need to trade for a RH defenseman who can run the 2nd power play unit or pair with Yandle when needed. Having to choose between Girardi, Klein, and a 40 year old Boyle to play the right side is less than ideal, to put it mildly.

I think Klein BTW can do a decent job as a PP defenseman but we can still do better than him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Wanting Boyle back in the lineup is just shuffling chairs on a sinking ship. The issues with our power play (which is really the one reason we have him) goes beyond whether Boyle is playing or not. Defensively he's too damn slow and I think the 6th defenseman spot is practically being handed to McIlrath if he can come good on it.

I think the fact is that we need to trade for a RH defenseman who can run the 2nd power play unit or pair with Yandle when needed. Having to choose between Girardi, Klein, and a 40 year old Boyle to play the right side is less than ideal, to put it mildly.

I think Klein BTW can do a decent job as a PP defenseman but we can still do better than him.

Bring Diaz up. The Rangers wont be jumping through hoops for a defenseman who isn't yet available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad