Dan Boyle Mod post #696

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Hey guys just wondering when Boyle comes back from injury in a week or two will be that catalyst back there to get the power play going? Just really would be nice to see some big power play goals at opportune times to win us some games.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I hope so.

Hope so to. Would be wonderful to have a top 5 or 10 power play. would make such a difference.
If Boyle lives up to expectations our power play could be the best its been in a long time

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He seems very trigger happy, which I love.

Despite not putting up points himself, the PP has looked significantly better since he came back. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not yet though.

There have been a few times I've noticed Boyle wide open on the point, stick ready, looking for a one-timer, but he hasn't been fed the puck. I think once we start utilizing his shot more on the PP, we'll see greater success.

And sometimes when he does get the shot off, it doesn't get through, or goes a bit too high. Hopefully, the puck luck will turn in his favor.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i see the same.

ive liked him alot more than i thought i would.

i love his willingness to shoot and he has a good shot. its a timing thing more than anything right now. you can see hes frustrated. he knows where to go to score and he always seems like hes looking for that shot. we havent had "that guy" in a while. he looks in control on the pp point and that translates into a better looking pp.

hes a guy who can make a difference on the pp with his passing and shot. so far, hes been very good imo even without the points yet. im confident they will come.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
His decisiveness makes the PP alot better. Giving MSL and Stepan much more time and space to create. Playing like a proper QB. The points will come.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
He's a great skater still.
His vision is also very good.
His outlet passes are typically great.
He makes the appropriate plays in his own end to advance the puck up the ice ASAP.
He can take it himself up the ice and into the neutral zone if he wants to with ease.
He doesn't give the puck up unless he can generate a better play.
He moves the puck very well on the offensive side too.

I dunno why anyone is hating on him, it's this guy that will get the offense going because he wants it out of his end immediately.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He seems very trigger happy, which I love.

Despite not putting up points himself, the PP has looked significantly better since he came back. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not yet though.

There have been a few times I've noticed Boyle wide open on the point, stick ready, looking for a one-timer, but he hasn't been fed the puck. I think once we start utilizing his shot more on the PP, we'll see greater success.

And sometimes when he does get the shot off, it doesn't get through, or goes a bit too high. Hopefully, the puck luck will turn in his favor.

Agreed.

I don't think its a coincidence. He has good skating ability and vision with the puck. The PP seems to run through him and Marty. You can see the great chemistry those two have together. One thing I've noticed since his return is the decision making with the puck for the whole 5 out there looks quicker and smoother. More one touch passes which gets defenders turning and out of position more, opening up shooting lanes. I love how Boyle and MSL both **** their sticks back waiting for a pass for a one timer. Their sticks are practically pointing straight up towards the ceiling.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Is it true that he's not a good possession player 5 on 5? I find that strange with his skillset.

I don't know what his possession numbers are off the top of my head but it wouldn't shock me since he's not particularly great in his own zone. Losing a board battle or turning it over in deep could have you pinned in your own zone. I think his numbers were decent in San Jose but someone could look that up since I can't at the moment.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know what his possession numbers are off the top of my head but it wouldn't shock me since he's not particularly great in his own zone. Losing a board battle or turning it over in deep could have you pinned in your own zone. I think his numbers were decent in San Jose but someone could look that up since I can't at the moment.

I thought that might be the case. Still not sure I'd make the trade Stralman was a possession demon.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I thought that might be the case. Still not sure I'd make the trade Stralman was a possession demon.

Not the biggest sample size in the world, but looks like 5v5 his relative corsi is +0.2

76 for, 79 against.

His PDO is 97.68. Generally, that regresses towards the mean of 100 so we should be seeing some improvement in Boyle's offensive output and/or defensive success.

The most interesting thing though, is that between the two websites I use for #fancystats, they show different numbers for Boyle :dunno:

The numbers above are using war-on-ice. Behindthenet.ca tells a different story.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He has made our PP look so much better. His footwork walking at or near the blue line is great. He has helped us keep possession in the other teams end on most PP lately

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is it true that he's not a good possession player 5 on 5? I find that strange with his skillset.
I would say that's decidedly untrue.

Here's his defense partners' possession splits with and without from last season:

kxIvEmR.png

Weighted on ice time, his defense partners saw an uptick of 2.1 percentage points when paired with him as opposed to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad