Damphousse says "no season"

Status
Not open for further replies.

two out of three*

You know they keep saying the owners want to throw away the season.. Well why are the players coming out and saying that they are convinced.. Do they really want it? They are always the first ones to come out and criticize.

Last edited by a moderator:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
My favourite part is the "We're going to hold a meeting too!"

We won't actually be *doing* anything, we won't be putting together a proposal, we're just going to meet so that we can look businesslike.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
Eklund seem's to feel otherwise:

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

I keep crossing my fingers that he is right:

"I spoke at length just now to a player who is a team rep. They are going to come back with a counter proposal, that may hit around December 28th. The terms of the proposal would be framed around the NHL's last counter. The main difference would be the NHLPA willingness to accept a sliding salary cap, without any pay reductions. They are all ticked off that their pay reduction gesture was used against them, so they are taking all pay reductions off of the table, and instituting a salary cap that would start at 50 million for two years, and then go to 40 million for two years. Sounds like they are playing right into the NHL's hands. They also want free agency at 27, and if they are going to be partners they want a bigger cut of merchandising. Will the NHL accept this? I think they will. I think it was their plan all along."

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
if i were the owners, i'd keep the blade close to their throats and get everything i want. but i am a little sadist at heart...

mike

nikeisevil said:

"I spoke at length just now to a player who is a team rep. They are going to come back with a counter proposal, that may hit around December 28th. The terms of the proposal would be framed around the NHL's last counter. The main difference would be the NHLPA willingness to accept a sliding salary cap, without any pay reductions. They are all ticked off that their pay reduction gesture was used against them, so they are taking all pay reductions off of the table, and instituting a salary cap that would start at 50 million for two years, and then go to 40 million for two years. Sounds like they are playing right into the NHL's hands. They also want free agency at 27, and if they are going to be partners they want a bigger cut of merchandising. Will the NHL accept this? I think they will. I think it was their plan all along."

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
nikeisevil said:

Let's hope this is true... and there will be some more negotiating...as for Vinny, he's a millionaire 30-40 times over and has Gary Bettman to thank for that, time ti hang 'em up Vinny!!!

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
Jussi said:
How reliable is that site/writer?

Always take Eklund with a grain of salt but he starting spouting off about the player's folding hand and re-upping their proposal while they were still making comments to the press about waiting for the league to ante-up. So in that respect - what he was rumouring came to pass.

A Good Flying Bird*

TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us said:
You know they keep saying the owners want to throw away the season.. Well why are the players coming out and saying that they are convinced.. Do they really want it? They are always the first ones to come out and criticize.

Because the players union hasn't taken the Nazi stance which calls for all members to get fined $250,000 for speaking out.
I bet you that at least 90 percent of the owners believe there is no hockey this year. But we won't know.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
nikeisevil said:

If the NHLPA responded in this fashion, it would definitely be a PR victory for them.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Newsguyone said:
Because the players union hasn't taken the Nazi stance which calls for all members to get fined $250,000 for speaking out.

Nazi stance? What are you, 11? Grow up. Terms like that shouldn't be tossed around lightly.

Go Flames Go*

Hopefully retires even if there is a season we don't need wimps or 3rd line checkers like this speaking out since they are the core of the problem.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
I think eklund has the scenario fairly accurate as to how it will play out.
By taking back the 24% rollback off the table, getting a lowering of the UFA age, and to a lesser extent an increase proportion of the mechandizing...the players can swallow a sliding cap that is not as draconian as the owners first proposed. Having first offered the rollback has softened the players to the fact that they WILL be giving money back in own way or another. Taking the rollback off the table allows them to save face, which is always the key to any negotiated settlement. The owners walk away with their cap of sorts.
The one elephant in the room that is not mentioned is arbitration.....

A Good Flying Bird*

CarlRacki said:
Nazi stance? What are you, 11? Grow up. Terms like that shouldn't be tossed around lightly.

Yes sir. I crossed the line. I should be tarred and feathered.

Thanks for pointing out my ineptitude, Herr Racki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad