Confirmed with Link: Damon Severson traded to Columbus for a 2023 3rd round pick (via CGY) (signs 8 years, 6.25 per extension)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The question really is how good Severson (and Provorov) are defensively. Sure, having somebody actually able to move the puck or skate in any way, will be better than having Gavrikov/Peeke, etc. out there with Werenski, but, he really needs somebody BETTER than him defensively out there and he can focus more on offense. Severson (“stylistically”) seems somewhat like a better offensively, but, worse defensively Ryan Murray.

Again, I haven’t seen enough of either guy consistently enough with my own eyes to make a true judgement, but, believing Werenski could move to the right side with essentially no issues, Provorov seems like the more aggressive player than both and arguably a better defensive player than Severson, and possibly Werenski. He seems like the better type of defenseman, the better fit, with Werenski.

Severson is a one year bridge for the 1RD role

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm interested to see how the system Babcock employs impacts all players on this team. If he continues with a puck possession approach that should help the overall defensive play. When you have the puck you aren't defending. And if the game Severson plays is more of a possession/offensive game, then I think that supports the Babcock system. I'm more interested in the next 2 years and most GMs, while of course they look at the full length, most, will look more closely at the next 3-4 as opposed to years 7 and 8 (in this case)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad