Damon Severson leads deep pool of New Jersey Devils prospects in 2014-15

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
damon_severson_new_jersey.jpg
Photo: Damon Severson showcased his vast skillset for the Devils this season, posting 17 points in 51 games. (Courtesy of Christopher Pasatieri/Getty Images)

</p>Spring is in the air, and the hockey season is about to wrap up across all levels. While the New Jersey Devils missed the postseason for the third consecutive season, fans can take solace in the performances of the organization’s prospects. The 2014-15 season saw Damon Severson go from NHL rookie to everyday starter, as well as some other standout seasons down in Albany.

All five college prospects excelled with their respective teams, while Joseph Blandisi and Ryan Kujawinski have had career years during their final seasons in junior.… read more

The post Damon Severson leads deep pool of New Jersey Devils prospects in 2014-15 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Thanks, I woulda missed this and we could use some good news.

My favorite parts:

"Breakout Player for 2015-16: Miles Wood, LW, Boston College

After two seasons with Noble and Greenough, Miles Wood will join Boston College this fall. The power forward has dominated the prep school system with his blend of speed, physicality and skill. Concerns about how he would fare against players his own age in higher tiers were partially answered when his talents were showcased for Team USA at the World Junior Championships. He finished his prep school career with 35 points in 17 games, just over two points-per-game. Wood could play a big role in igniting the stagnant Golden Eagles offense in 2015-16.

Most Improved Prospect: Ryan Kujawinski, C, North Bay Battalion

Before the season started, we here at HockeysFuture predicted that Kujawinski was primed for a breakout year. After years of inconsistent performances in the OHL, the centerman has remained a steady force throughout the season and a constant threat to score each night. Kujawinski had a decent start to the season in the fall, but began to hit his stride when he was traded from Kingston to North Bay in January. He produced at under a point-per-game pace, scoring 33 goals and 59 points in 61 games—a career high in both categories. Thus far, his fine form has carried into the postseason, and he has seven points through the first two rounds of the OHL playoffs.

Player of the Month: Ryan Kujawinski, C, North Bay Battalion

For the second month in a row, Ryan Kujawinski is the Devils prospect of the month. It is well deserved as the centerman has been clutch in the postseason for North Bay. In the Battalion’s second round series win against Barrie, he added three goals and two assists. He also scored the game-winning goal in double-overtime in Game 4. He has been playing a confident game since joining North Bay in January. More importantly, it was his most consistent year of junior hockey yet, and he has become a consistent scoring threat."

I'm expecting big things from Wood and Kujawinski (prospect of the month 2 months in a row) next year. Both could be integral parts of the solution in our top9 or even top6 solution.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thanks, I woulda missed this and we could use some good news.

My favorite parts:

"Breakout Player for 2015-16: Miles Wood, LW, Boston College

After two seasons with Noble and Greenough, Miles Wood will join Boston College this fall. The power forward has dominated the prep school system with his blend of speed, physicality and skill. Concerns about how he would fare against players his own age in higher tiers were partially answered when his talents were showcased for Team USA at the World Junior Championships. He finished his prep school career with 35 points in 17 games, just over two points-per-game. Wood could play a big role in igniting the stagnant Golden Eagles offense in 2015-16.

Most Improved Prospect: Ryan Kujawinski, C, North Bay Battalion

Before the season started, we here at HockeysFuture predicted that Kujawinski was primed for a breakout year. After years of inconsistent performances in the OHL, the centerman has remained a steady force throughout the season and a constant threat to score each night. Kujawinski had a decent start to the season in the fall, but began to hit his stride when he was traded from Kingston to North Bay in January. He produced at under a point-per-game pace, scoring 33 goals and 59 points in 61 games—a career high in both categories. Thus far, his fine form has carried into the postseason, and he has seven points through the first two rounds of the OHL playoffs.

Player of the Month: Ryan Kujawinski, C, North Bay Battalion

For the second month in a row, Ryan Kujawinski is the Devils prospect of the month. It is well deserved as the centerman has been clutch in the postseason for North Bay. In the Battalion’s second round series win against Barrie, he added three goals and two assists. He also scored the game-winning goal in double-overtime in Game 4. He has been playing a confident game since joining North Bay in January. More importantly, it was his most consistent year of junior hockey yet, and he has become a consistent scoring threat."

I'm expecting big things from Wood and Kujawinski (prospect of the month 2 months in a row) next year. Both could be integral parts of the solution in our top9 or even top6 solution.

Kuja and Wood were both drafted in 2013. That was also the year we traded for Cory and drafted Santini. What a draft year for us if things work out.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Kuja and Wood were both drafted in 2013. That was also the year we traded for Cory and drafted Santini. What a draft year for us if things work out.

It could be phenomenal. I might give Conte a pass if these two reach their respective potential lol.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It could be phenomenal. I might give Conte a pass if these two reach their respective potential lol.

2012 was the year of Severson, Matteau and Coleman. Could be another solid draft year.

Add the high level talent we will get in the first this year plus the potential for more in the 2nd round with the extra picks. Our prospect fortunes could make a turn towards the positive in a hurry.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The thing I like is almost all of those forwards had the word "speed" in there somewhere. Even if they only end up as bottom six types at least they can get up and down the ice without needing a sundial to time them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The thing I like is almost all of those forwards had the word "speed" in there somewhere. Even if they only end up as bottom six types at least they can get up and down the ice without needing a sundial to time them.

Kuja seems to have some wheels. Not sure about Blandasi.

We have a few guys with middle 6 potential and one or two who could be the next Henrique for us which is something we definitely need.

More spots we can fill cheaply and internally the better.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm high on Coleman, I love his style of play and his skill set. I think it is going to translate very well to the NHL.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm high on Coleman, I love his style of play and his skill set. I think it is going to translate very well to the NHL.

Let's first get him signed.
When is the deadline for that?

I doubt he will attend the July prospects camp without being under contract.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
i bet you he'll sign pretty much as soon as he gets his degree - miami university's commencement is may 16/17

That's what I think, too. I have the impression that getting his degree is very important to him, and I respect that. Once he has his degree, I believe that getting him signed to the Devils shouldn't be too difficult. His comments about the Devils organization have been favorable, and he has to know that this team can give a lot of opportunity to a forward trying to make the NHL, since there is such a shortage of offensive talent on this team at the present. The Devils are so shallow offensively that it's hard to imagine that he wouldn't want to take advantage of that lack of depth. I'm really not too worried at this point. My gut tells me Coleman will be signed pretty soon.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think Coleman will be signed soon and could prove to be one of those tough 'character' guys that winning teams have.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I've liked Coleman for years now. I think he could be a great 3rd line Center. Of course, I said the same thing about Henrique years ago, so you never know.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
...but according to the main board, we have no prospects?

Hopefully some of these depth picks pan out, we really need that to turn things around with the team. Not at all worried about the defense, even if half of our young guys don't meet expectations we will still have a pretty solid defense going forward.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Here are my prospects scores using HF ratings and rankings including Severson

1) Severson 8.0B
2) Santini 7.5C
3) Boucher 7.5C
4) Matteau 6.5A
5) Coleman 7C
6) Blandisi 7.5D
7) Quenneville 7C
8) Kujawinski 7C
9) Graham Black 7D
10) Wood 7.5D
11) Jacobs 7C
12) Helgeson 6A
13) Kerfoot 7D
14) Hrabenka 6B
15) Scarlett 6.5C
16) Chatham 6C
17) Pietilla 5.5B
18) Johnson 5B
19) Bell 6.5C
20) Wedgewood 6.5C
21) Thomson 5.5B
22) Baddock 5B
23) Gavrus 5C
24) Dudek 6C
25) Rehill 4C

8. First-Line Forward/ No. 2 Defenseman / No. 1 Goaltender
7. Second-Line Forward/ No. 3-4 Defenseman / Journeyman No. 1 Goaltender
6. Third-Line Forward/ No. 5-6 Defenseman / Backup Goaltender
5. Fourth line forward / No. 7 defenseman / depth goaltender
4. Top minor league forward / defenseman / goaltender

A – All but guaranteed to reach potentia
B – Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating
C – May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings
D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings
F – A player possessing little potential

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think Blandisi is close to cracking the line up. Yeah he put up big numbers in junior but mostly as an over ager. Lets see him do it against professionals before bringing him to the big leagues.

Here is the list going back to 2000 for the previous overager player of the year winners, lets pump the breaks a bit on him as this list outside of Callahan is nothing to write home about.

2014-15 Joseph Blandisi, Barrie Colts
2013-14 Dane Fox, Erie Otters
2012–13 Charles Sarault, Sarnia Sting
2011–12 Andrew Agozzino, Niagara IceDogs
2010–11 Jason Akeson, Kitchener Rangers
2009–10 Bryan Cameron, Barrie Colts
2008–09 Justin DiBenedetto, Sarnia Sting
2007–08 Michael Swift, Niagara IceDogs
2006–07 Tyler Donati, Belleville Bulls
2005–06 Ryan Callahan, Guelph Storm
2004–05 André Benoit, Kitchener Rangers
2003–04 Martin St. Pierre, Guelph Storm