Speculation: Damien Cox: Bruins Still Have Work to do (Rask to SJ spitballing in article)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He isn't the first talking head to suggest that Rask is being shopped.

Bruins still have work to do

After the Lucic trade, Boston now has wealth in goal in the form of Tuukka Rask, Martin Jones and Malcolm Subban, plus unsigned collegian Zane McIntyre.

Somebody’s going, and that somebody may be going to San Jose. The fact GM Don Sweeney didn’t make much of a dent in the team’s salary cap problem despite moving Hamilton and Lucic – the B’s retained salary on Lucic – makes you wonder if Rask and his $7 million cap hit might be the masked man who moves.

Other tidbits

The biggest reach in the first round on Friday had to be Boston going for Sault Ste. Marie winger Zach Senyshyn with the No. 14 selection. Senyshyn was ranked No. 38 among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting.

Factor in goalies and Euros, and that should have placed Senyshyn late in the second round. Boston thought differently and it’ll be a while before we find out if they were right.

The threat of an offer sheet helped put the 22-year-old Hamilton on the market, and the price to get him (one first and two seconds) was slightly more than the compensation that would have been sent to Boston if another team had signed him as an RFA and they had chosen not to match.

One more thing on the Bruins. Why is it players drafted high there who subsequently are shipped elsewhere always seemed to be badmouthed as bad people on the way out? Happened with Joe Thornton, happened with Kessel, happened with Seguin, quietly happening with Hamilton.

Last edited:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I don't see anyway that this could end well.

It won't. Despite what some here may insist.

But I wouldn't be surprised in any way if it happens. Talks must be going on, because it wouldn't be mentioned so much if he wasn't going anywhere. Him going to SJS makes sense from a cap perspective; we get a ****load of cap space (that Sweeney can waste on something ridiculous) and SJS gets their 1# starter.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Well this sounds more like speculation than a rumor.

But yeah...that would be a disaster. You don't trade an elite goalie in/entering their prime - you just don't. Especially after trading a future #1C and #1D in a two year span. If Rask asks out fine but if Sweeney voluntarily trades him I'm out. The voluntary exodus of elite talent from this team is disturbing.

Btw Kelly + Seids = 7 mil.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't see anyway that this could end well.

Absolutely not. The way Sweeney got fleeced on Hamilton, if he trades Rask without taking a deep breath and counting to 10 he's wacky. Set the bar high Donny, SET THE BAR HIGH!!:rant:

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
If its Tuukka, then the Bruins will need to burn it down. There is no reason not to fully tank. Sides and Kelly are better options.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I still doubt Rask would like to go to San Jose, he hasn't won a cup as a starter and won't win in San Jose.

Right now if Chia hears that he should be after him because McDavid+Rask is gold.

I'm myself a huge Rask fan, I played in ilves and saw him play while growing up, I don't want to see him in SJ.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Considering the current mental state of the Bruins' fan base, I feel as though sensationalizing these thread titles is likely counter-productive for us moderators.

Cox has thrown it out there and now it is a major topic on Canadian sports radio. We can't ignore it. It is speculation and Cox raised the question.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

Considering the current mental state of the Bruins' fan base, I feel as though sensationalizing these thread titles is likely counter-productive for us moderators.

It is what it is. Kinda difficult to sugarcoat it or make the title different than what it really is.

John Shannon first reported on draft day, that Tuukka's name is out there. Dom agreed. We'll see.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd say we'll be hearing Rask trade rumors as long as Jones is still a Bruin.

Which means this could likely drag on through the season and possibly become a distraction.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Thank you.

Been a pet peeve of mine.
Like yelling 'fire' in a movie theater.

Insightful is one thing. Inciteful is an another.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Based upon the current situation and knowing its going to be a tough year at the very least coming up, Id'd reach out to some of the core guys. Just to gauge if they are in or out.

No hard feelings either way.

Also, just an observation to no one poster but generally speaking, when someone points to getting rid of players x and y to save n$ please also factor in replacement cost to replace x and y.

Thanks,

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Based upon the current situation and knowing its going to be a tough year at the very least coming up, Id'd reach out to some of the core guys. Just to gauge if they are in or out.

No hard feelings either way.

Also, just an observation to no one poster but generally speaking, when someone points to getting rid of players x and y to save n$ please also factor in replacement cost to replace x and y.

Thanks,

True - Could San Jose for example send us 7 million in spare parts to plug other holes?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
plus unsigned collegian Zane McIntyre? Enough said ..

McIntrye was just recently signed.

A week before the article was written though.

Technically I believe Cox is right.

Bruins and McIntyre have agreed 'to sign' an entry level contract. I dont think it will actually be signed until Wednesday when the entry level is worth more.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=771751&navid=DL|BOS|home

Boston, MA - Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, June 23, that goaltender Zane McIntyre has indicated he will sign a two-year entry-level contract with the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad